OT: I see the Titans and the mayor...

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

OT: I see the Titans and the mayor...

Post by commadore »

Have agreed on a 2 billion dollar domed stadium to be built next to the current one. Lot of money for 8 games a year, plus playoffs.

VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Re: OT: I see the Titans and the mayor...

Post by VandyfanKY »

And the capacity is only 60,000. The existing stadium only lasted 30 years. Wow.

Would VU look at the new stadium as an option for big-draw games? Maybe, but I have to wonder how many of our future games will draw much more than 35K.
thefan
Captain

Corporate welfare run amuk!

Post by thefan »

Ridiculous that the city of Nashville would participate in sharing the financing of a stadium on the backs of taxpayers for the privileged elite to have access to NFL entertainment! Don't taxpayers lives matter? Amazing how those who complain the loudest about corporate welfare, can't bend over fast enough to permit actions they constantly complain against! Nashville utilities will probably be charging customers increased fees to help with the financing, but such actions will likely be kept from public awareness or be given some misleading name!
Versus75
Admiral

Are there enough cranes to go around ...

Post by Versus75 »

... and, as you know, traffic has not been a problem in Nashville.

As the hotel tax goes up to help pay for this, out-of-towners will be footing part of the bill. My hotel room the last time I stayed over was nearly $600 for one night.

The old (if you consider 23 years to be old) stadium cost US $290 million; ($472 million in 2021 dollars). And now they are saying renovations would costs $1.2 BILLION, so why not just get a whole new stadium for only $900 million more?

Vanderbilt should get a piece of this public pie.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

1. Has anyone really explored the Titans' claim that renovations would cost $1.2B?

2. I'd bet the farm that nobody outside City Hall realized in 1997-98 that the Titans contract requires the city to foot the bill for renovations and maintenance AT WHATEVER LEVEL THE TITANS SAY THAT NEEDS TO BE, for nearly 40 years.

3. It's sad to watch the spin that this won't cost Davidson County residents anything in taxes (as if they are not residents of Tennessee, which is putting up $500M, nor that they don't pay sales tax downtown).

4. When the original stadium financing plan was unveiled 25 years ago, including a fee on all Metro monthly water bills, the article in the Houston Chronicle began something like this, "Whenever a Nashville resident goes to the toilet, he'll be flushing money into Bud Adams' pocket." To my knowledge, that's still occurring, since the city still owes $30M on the bonds

5. Unless they stay in a Nashville hotel, the new deal won't cost residents of Montgomery County, Ala., anything. 8-)
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:59 am 1. Has anyone really explored the Titans' claim that renovations would cost $1.2B?

2. I'd bet the farm that nobody outside City Hall realized in 1997-98 that the Titans contract requires the city to foot the bill for renovations and maintenance AT WHATEVER LEVEL THE TITANS SAY THAT NEEDS TO BE, for nearly 40 years.

3. It's sad to watch the spin that this won't cost Davidson County residents anything in taxes (as if they are not residents of Tennessee, which is putting up $500M, nor that they don't pay sales tax downtown).

4. When the original stadium financing plan was unveiled 25 years ago, including a fee on all Metro monthly water bills, the article in the Houston Chronicle began something like this, "Whenever a Nashville resident goes to the toilet, he'll be flushing money into Bud Adams' pocket." To my knowledge, that's still occurring, since the city still owes $30M on the bonds

5. Unless they stay in a Nashville hotel, the new deal won't cost residents of Montgomery County, Ala., anything. 8-)
I do come up a couple of times a year for games and my step daughter is in grad school at VU so I'm sure I'll be helping build the stadium and flushing my money down Bud's pockets.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

VandyfanKY wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:54 am Would VU look at the new stadium as an option for big-draw games? Maybe, but I have to wonder how many of our future games will draw much more than 35K.
Don't forget--Vandy is already playing a game at Nissan Stadium as soon as 2024 (Virginia Tech), so it could happen.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

I’ve got a buddy of mine that works in construction here around Nashville. He told me that because most of the Titans stadium is made out of cast concrete, it’s extremely difficult to renovate it without removing large portions of the stadium. That being said, $1.2 billion seems like a crazy number for renovating and he agreed. The new soccer stadium, which is very nice, cost $345 million (A $70 million increase from the proposed cost of $275… mind you). Obviously that’s much smaller than football stadium, it does not have a dome, and nowhere near the number of suites and what have you. But still that’s 1/6 the price tag of $2.2 Billion. The prices of these new football stadiums is astounding.

But just doing some back of the napkin math… Let’s say they use the stadium 20 times a year. That’s 8-10 NFL games, a couple of college games, a few big concerts, monster trucks, couple other things. 20 times per year. And let’s say 30 years from now they decide they need another stadium. that makes 600 events. And let’s see the stadium cost overruns go up to $2.4 billion

That’s $4 million per event. Not even counting whatever renovations the Titans decide they need in 10 years, 20 years, whatever.

That seems like a lot of money to me.
Last edited by vu2003rpl on Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

VandyfanKY wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:54 am And the capacity is only 60,000. The existing stadium only lasted 30 years. Wow.

Would VU look at the new stadium as an option for big-draw games? Maybe, but I have to wonder how many of our future games will draw much more than 35K.
Hopefully we get good enough that we would want to go to larger stadium for big draw games.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

vu2003rpl wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:27 pm I’ve got a buddy of mine that works in construction here around Nashville. He told me that because most of the Titans stadium is made out of cast concrete, it’s extremely difficult to renovate it without removing large portions of the stadium. That being said, $1.2 billion seems like a crazy number for renovating and he agreed. The new soccer stadium, which is very nice, cost $345 million (A $70 million increase from the proposed cost of $275… mind you). Obviously that’s much smaller than football stadium, it does not have a dome, and nowhere near the number of suites and what have you. But still that’s 1/6 the price tag of $2.2 Billion. The prices of these new football stadiums is astounding.

But just doing some back of the napkin math… Let’s say they use the stadium 20 times a year. That’s 8-10 NFL games, a couple of college games, a few big concerts, monster trucks, couple other things. 20 times per year. And let’s say 30 years from now they decide they need another stadium. that makes 600 events. And let’s see the stadium cost overruns go up to $2.4 billion

That’s $4 million per event. Not even counting whatever renovations the Titans decide they need in 10 years, 20 years, whatever.

That seems like a lot of money to me.
What are you doing ? Trying to be logical ?
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

OldDude wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:55 pm
What are you doing ? Trying to be logical ?
Lol you can blame my Mathematics major :lol:
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Some of you may remember that one this very board, about three years ago, I told everyone that the Titans would soon be demanding a new stadium. Several of you said I was wrong and said that the owner of the Titans had just gone on talk radio and said she had no intention of doing so.

I was one of the reporters that covered all this from 1995 to 1998 and there was NEVER any doubt in my mind at any time during the last quarter-century that the Titans would demand a new stadium when their lease ran out. It was obvious when the new mega stadiums were built in Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Minnesota and Los Angeles. Truth be known, the Titans current stadium IS out of date, by standards of the league.

The worst part if that The Tennessean has knowingly lied about this all along. In EACH of the last 2 mayor's races, they did not ask ANY of the candidates about a new stadium. One of my good friends ran for mayor and was in the middle of it and he says NO ONE every asked him about it

Vanderbilt is also party at fault here. A few months ago the political science department did an opinion survey of Nashville voters which had about 12 questions. NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM was about an NFL stadium, because the political science department apparently didn't "foresee" that the issue was coming. I'm cynical; I think the political science department was avoiding this issue, so Vanderbilt wouldn't be seen as being against the Titans.

Nashville, its government, and its voters deserve what they are getting.

The city and the taxpayers also deserve a public school system which has, by my count, more than 100 vacant teaching positions -- something ELSE that the local media refuses to report.

Obviously the Titans will get their stadium, and obviously the deal is going to have a major affect on the taxpayers, the city's finances, schools, etc. That's doesn't bother me as much as how Nashville, its sports fans, its reporter, etc, have either been lying about this for 25 years or are just dumb as can be.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Three years and two months to be exact, History Bill.....

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 9.51.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 9.51.30 AM.png (294.75 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Its the cost of doing business of having an NFL team these days. If you don't do it, they'll leave. Every once in a blue moon a city gets steel in their spine and won't bend to the demand and they promptly lose the team. So the city wants to have a team, the residents gotta pay. And often I don't think the math actually works out in terms of revenue generated and jobs.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

Let 'em leave; Nashville was a good city before they came and would likely be so if they left!
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

thefan wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:38 am Let 'em leave; Nashville was a good city before they came and would likely be so if they left!
Arguably better if they leave. We could focus on things that matter again. And might conceivably help VU football attendance. Slightly.

Unfortunately, too many powerful interests vested in the Titans being here and they hold sway politically. So we're stuck with them.

PS: We were told 25 years ago that we might get a Super Bowl if the Titans deal was approved then too. Now they're dangling THAT shiny object in front of everyone again.
BWSeven
Chief

Post by BWSeven »

commadore wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:27 pm Have agreed on a 2 billion dollar domed stadium to be built next to the current one. Lot of money for 8 games a year, plus playoffs.
8 games, playoffs plus NcAA final 4, SEC title game? Many concerts and a host of other events. A large muti-purpose event space Nashville is lacking.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

BWSeven wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:31 pm
commadore wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:27 pm Have agreed on a 2 billion dollar domed stadium to be built next to the current one. Lot of money for 8 games a year, plus playoffs.
8 games, playoffs plus NcAA final 4, SEC title game? Many concerts and a host of other events. A large muti-purpose event space Nashville is lacking.
And like the Super Dome, it will NEVER pay for itself.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

I noted this above… Let’s call it 20 events a year. That’s still not very many things. Let’s say you get the final four once every what, 7-8 years? I don’t see Atlanta giving up the SEC title game without some agreement on a rotation basis. And if that happens, you can believe that Jerryworld and the Superdome will want in on that rotation.

Also I am not sure what the city needs in “large multipurpose event space” that isn’t already covered by the Music City Center. I’m no trying to be obtuse here, but I may be missing your point.

I went to the Atlanta battery for one of the Braves playoff games against Philadelphia. I would love to have this kind of a development space somewhere in town. I have two elementary school kids, and the outdoor set up with the screen and the Astroturf and the ability to go grab a pizza… It was really fantastic. And one doesn’t have to pay for tickets - which meant I had way more money for beer and souvenirs. Ha ha But you could do that without paying $2.2 billion for a football stadium.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

Great, pay for it with your money!
Locked Previous topicNext topic