Jamaine Mann enters the transfer portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Jamaine Mann enters the transfer portal

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Reported by Rivals..

Not the one I'd want to go. Feel like he had a good role and brought the right type of toughness to this team. Hopefully we can backfill with an even better player out of the portal. Wish him the best of luck.

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: Jamaine Mann enters the transfer portal

Post by VUaskew »

Surprised by this as well. He found a good niche. Or so I thought. Seemed like a good guy, too.

Best to him going forward.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:31 pm Reported by Rivals..

Not the one I'd want to go. Feel like he had a good role and brought the right type of toughness to this team. Hopefully we can backfill with an even better player out of the portal. Wish him the best of luck.
I would guess that if we backfill, it would be at a different position - we are pretty well set in the frontcourt with Robbins, QMB, Wright and Stute returning and all able to play the 4 or 5 and the addition of Dort and Smith gives us plenty of depth and talent at those two positions, and really the small forward position with Wright really playing there and Dia able to back him up (hopefully). It would surprise me if he is the last to go and I agree that he did a good job as a backup this season.

Remember with transfers, there will probably a combination of players who their leaving makes sense in terms of lack of PT/production, along with those that will hurt at least a little. I'd guess that enough scholarships will be freed up not only for the incoming freshmen, but for us to add a guard or two. If Pippen leaves (as seems to be the case) we've already freed up enough scholarships for the incoming freshmen, and there are at least two players who have difficulty finding any playing time without surprising transfers or injuries.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I did not think I would see Mann or Frank transferring. They did not come to Vanderbilt as grad transfers initially and DID use their one-time free transfer (no sit-out year).

Is the NCAA going to let players petition for an exemption? That was always a big mess that was not treated equally.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Wish him well. I too liked his effort and spirit. Would have liked to see him develop as a player over the years.

D-1 sports as business, I'll never get comfortable with it.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I don't WANT anyone to leave, but I really hope Tyrin and Shane are the ones that stay. PT opportunity awaits with the departures of Chatman, Weikert, and (likely) Pippen.

Tyrin showed an ability to get to the hole, and Shane is freakishly athletic and shot the bell very well. I think Trey, while a good shooter, may have reached his ceiling. He definitely cannot handle the ball.

We might expect to see Jordan become more of a point forward next year?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

VUaskew wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:40 pm I don't WANT anyone to leave, but I really hope Tyrin and Shane are the ones that stay. PT opportunity awaits with the departures of Chatman, Weikert, and (likely) Pippen.

Tyrin showed an ability to get to the hole, and Shane is freakishly athletic and shot the bell very well. I think Trey, while a good shooter, may have reached his ceiling. He definitely cannot handle the ball.

We might expect to see Jordan become more of a point forward next year?
Pretty much agree with all of this, but I hope we don’t have to see Jordan at point forward. I think this would be out of necessity if the staff is unable to reel in a solid PG (or two!), which would set VU up for a bit of a disappointing season, I suspect. Jordan makes a nice scoring option on the ball when he has a mismatch and can overpower his defender. However, I shudder at the prospect of relying on him to break the press or become a primary distributor. He is prone to errant passes and doesn’t have anywhere near the change of pace ability as guys like Pippen and Chatman.

EDIT: Also, hate to see Mann go! But, it isn’t a total shock given the depth in the frontcourt. Loved his motor and tenacity. Wish him well on his journey.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Jamaine is a class act. At both of the nit games I was seated near the tunnel to the locker room; Jamaine and Jordan went out of their way to high five every kid. Love his spirit and wish him well in his journey.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I think Frank & Dorsey may be next.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I feel it will be Thomas next as he seems like odd man out.
Locked Previous topicNext topic