Who Gets The First-Round Bye?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Who Gets The First-Round Bye?

Post by MikeADore »

There are five teams battling for the one spot in the standings (10th place) that would give them a first-round tournament bye. I took a look at the five teams' remaining schedule, and it appears Kentucky has a definite advantage, which is why their big comeback win over Mississippi State Tuesday night was so crucial. Bottom line: We pretty much have to upset Kentucky tonight to have any real chance to make our way out of the bottom four.

I'm not saying this is expected or any kind of measuring stick for the success of this team. I just got curious about where the teams stand going into the final two weeks.

Here is where the five teams presently stand in the conference standings:

Texas A&M 4-8
Kentucky 4-8
Vanderbilt 3-9
Alabama 3-9
Auburn 1-11

Below, the numbers in parenthesis are the cumulative conference record of each team's four remaining opponents. As you can see, Kentucky has the easiest road based entirely on the numbers (opponents' record 15-32) while Auburn has the toughest road (27-20). Auburn has been so close in so many games. Oddly enough, we're just about the only team to handle them easily. They actually have a decent chance in every game remaining except South Carolina.

My Prediction: We finish either 12th or 13th along with Alabama. Since 12 and 13 play each other in the first round of the tourney, we wind up playing Bama the final regular-season game then turn around and play them again the first round of the tournament.

My Fantasy: We suddenly start shooting the ball better and sweep the remaining four games and sit back and kick our feet up on the first day of the tournament.

A&M (26-21)
2/17 at Ole Miss
2/20 vs. Alabama
2-24 vs. South Carolina
2/27 at Georgia

Kentucky (15-32)
2/17 vs. Vanderbilt
2/20 at Arkansas
2/24 at Missouri
2/27 vs. Auburn

Vanderbilt (22-25)
2/17 at Kentucky
2/20 vs. Ole Miss
2/24 vs. Florida
2/27 at Alabama

Alabama (26-22)
2/17 vs. Tennessee
2/20 at Texas A&M
2/24 at LSU
2/17 vs. Vanderbilt

Auburn (27-20)
2/17 at South Carolina
2/20 vs. Georgia
2/24 vs. Ole Miss
2/27 at Kentucky

VandyDan78
Captain

Re: Who Gets The First-Round Bye?

Post by VandyDan78 »

I’ll place my bet on Kentucky… Looks like they have the better chance at winning the next four. I’d love to think we have a shot, but our offense makes me think otherwise. Who knows though in this league?
SV#
Locked Previous topicNext topic