Random Observations from Omaha

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Lynchsr
Captain

Random Observations from Omaha

Post by Lynchsr »

Since I have some time today… :roll:

1) all Vandy merchandise has been picked over. No hats available. I have talked with some of the vendors this morning and they said Vandy fans bought everything the first weekend. Most popular team the first weekend as stated by multiple vendors.
->leads me to think Vandy alumni/fans don’t own a lot of gear
->Vandy alumni/fans willing to pay ridiculously high marked up prices $38 for a t shirt
->AD/marketing should see there is a demand out there

2) MS St. fans don’t like or respect Vandy. 4 different groups of MS St fans came up to our group (NC State fans plus me and my son - nephews are NC St alumni) and said we are rooting for you or wish you would have won and sent Vandy home. Every time I then showed my hat and shirt and asked why only for them to apologize and walk away. They weren’t rude or mean, but clear they don’t like VU and were not rooting for a fellow SEC team.
->Go Texas

3) Great experience. Prior to yesterday’s NC St. COVID news very little if any COVID protocols. I am assuming it is because all vendors hotel employees, restaurant workers are all vaccinated.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Random Observations from Omaha

Post by commadore »

That's probably because they are scared of us. We beat them 2 out of 3 this year. The loss was when Leiter was tired from previous long/high pitch outings and only went 5 innings.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Who is more likely to be shaking in their shoes today over protocols? Texas or Clanga?
FrmrMrC
Rear Admiral

Post by FrmrMrC »

Lynchsr wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:42 am Since I have some time today… :roll:

1) all Vandy merchandise has been picked over. No hats available. I have talked with some of the vendors this morning and they said Vandy fans bought everything the first weekend. Most popular team the first weekend as stated by multiple vendors.
->Vandy alumni/fans willing to pay ridiculously high marked up prices $38 for a t shirt
Still probably cheaper than the VU bookstore.
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

The enmity for Mizz State is mutual. Anyone else remember the pickup trucks parked behind the outfield wall where people would watch from lawn chairs in the beds? They threw watermelon pieces and rib bones at our black players If they never win the title it will be too soon
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Lynchsr wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:42 am
2) MS St. fans don’t like or respect Vandy. 4 different groups of MS St fans came up to our group (NC State fans plus me and my son - nephews are NC St alumni) and said we are rooting for you or wish you would have won and sent Vandy home. Every time I then showed my hat and shirt and asked why only for them to apologize and walk away. They weren’t rude or mean, but clear they don’t like VU and were not rooting for a fellow SEC team.
->Go Texas
Shrug. Whatever.

1) Miss St. is in our conference ... how many people on this board root for UK in the NCAA tournament? Fair or not, we are UK at this point. In baseball, we expect to be in the top 10 every year now. We expect the super regionals to be a baseline performance for our team. Plus, there is the financial aid/scholarship thing that has some of our opponents think that we are "cheating", or at the very least have an "unfair advantage". That's not entirely true, but that doesn't mean that's not how others see it.

2) NC State was sort of the underdogs here, right? They weren't supposed to get out of the regionals. They certainly weren't supposed to beat Arkansas. They became the fan favorites for neutral parties.

Take it as a compliment that we're that good and move on.
vufan1
Rear Admiral

Post by vufan1 »

When you get a bad interaction with a few from another fan base, it’s easy to lump them all into that characterization. I have several MSU friends (two that actually pitched at MSU) and we all congratulate each other when the other’s team does well.

Of course, my son-in-law to be (a Mississippi alum), sees it a little differently… 😉
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

What mathguy said x100.

I know lots of wonderful MissSt fans. Besides, I've found UT fans to be quite snooty overall.

Everybody and their brother was rooting for NCSt, let's face it. Especially with their courageous display yesterday. If we had been out of it, I bet a lot of this board would have been pulling for them. It actually had nothing to do with us. We could have been one of the Pac12 teams for all it matters.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Vandyboys are the Death Star of college baseball. We are Darth Vader wrapped in Cobra Kai and stuffed inside of pre-1980 Soviet Hockey.
Opponents dread us.
I, for one, love it.
Eff 'em all.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

dallasdore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:09 pm What mathguy said x100.

I know lots of wonderful MissSt fans. Besides, I've found UT fans to be quite snooty overall.

Everybody and their brother was rooting for NCSt, let's face it. Especially with their courageous display yesterday. If we had been out of it, I bet a lot of this board would have been pulling for them. It actually had nothing to do with us. We could have been one of the Pac12 teams for all it matters.
I taught at Miss State for 3 years in the mid 90's. I found the people there, in general, to be very nice, kind and generous. Are there exceptions? Well of course, but in my experience they were certainly exceptions. The people of Starkville are PASSIONATE!!! about their Diamond Dawgs, but have you been to Starkville? Not a lot to otherwise do there. They are loud and brash (and yes, the cowbells get old), but they are generally very good sports (okay, maybe not so much so towards Ole Miss). I hadn't ever heard about any watermelon or ribs being tossed at Black players, and if true, that is beyond reprehensible. But I've found many other fan bases to be far worse that State fans.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I forgot to add, that in the past (for sports in general), some MSU folks say they sympathize with us because like us, they never seem to get much respect. Of course, they have been to the final 4, they have had a few top-5 rankings in football, and they have been to a bunch of CWS. But they feel always overlooked, kindof like we rarely get much respect regionally or nationally--except for the past decade in baseball.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

FrmrMrC wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:36 am
Lynchsr wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:42 am Since I have some time today… :roll:

Still probably cheaper than the VU bookstore.
Do we currently have a book store?
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

On Miss. State - I have a son-in-law who has 2 degrees from MSU. He and my daughter lived there for a short time while he worked at MSU. I attended a few football games there, always wearing some Vandy gear. Never had a bad or unpleasant experience. Actually got a few "congrats" and "thanks" at an MSU-Georgia game the weekend after we beat Ole Miss (don't remember what year). And there are some pretty nice places there, and nearby, for dinner.
Locked Previous topicNext topic