Pitching for tomorrow???

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Lundy
Captain

Pitching for tomorrow???

Post by Lundy »

We have a mid-week game this week, TTU. And Mason Hickman pitched this past weekend.

So who gets the start?

Or is it a "committee day" on the mound?

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Pitching for tomorrow???

Post by Good2BGold »

Lundy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:38 pm We have a mid-week game this week, TTU. And Mason Hickman pitched this past weekend.

So who gets the start?

Or is it a "committee day" on the mound?
I'm guessing it will still be Hickman. He pitched on Thursday, so he'll have had four days rest in between.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I hate to "give away" a mid-week game by pitching unreliable BP guys, but it sure is nice heading into a weekend series with Hickman available for long relief (as he was in Auburn game #1). I might chance it; start Zack King, pitch by committee if/when he falters, and hope for the best. Then again I might not. Tough choice. I wish our pen had more reliable, consistent arms out there.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

We can use Hickman in Hoover and beyond. He only threw 4 innings Thursday, so he should be good to go. I am more worried about not having Brown. Has there been any news about his daughter and when he will be back. Hopefully the surgery was a success and kids usually bounce back pretty fast. Much better than old farts like me.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Depending upon Tyler Brown's availability for this weekend, I'd typically consider starting someone besides Hickman tomorrow night. Tennessee Tech is far from the team it's been in the last couple of seasons. The only challenge is that next Tuesday's opponent is Louisville, and you'd think Corbin wants Hickman to start that game.
Versus75
Admiral

What he said!

Post by Versus75 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:57 pm Depending upon Tyler Brown's availability for this weekend, I'd typically consider starting someone besides Hickman tomorrow night. Tennessee Tech is far from the team it's been in the last couple of seasons. The only challenge is that next Tuesday's opponent is Louisville, and you'd think Corbin wants Hickman to start that game.
We often throw a guy who pitched 6-7 innings six days earlier.
Pitching five days after hurling 4 innings should not be a problem.
Then we have Hickman lined up for Louusville.

Who else will be at that game?
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

Chance Huff
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

Chance Huff
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I'd pitch Hickman for 5, then bring in the pen. We should be well ahead by then (hopefully), unless they throw one of those guys that throw only junk.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

We are getting to the point of the season where we really need to define roles. I'm not at all confident that we have the depth in the bullpen to feel good about the postseason. Hickman as a 4th is good, and Fisher/Brown are the two who finish games. Then you have a jumbled mess of inconsistency with King, Eder, Huff, and Smith. None of them throw enough strikes, and I am afraid that will be our undoing.
commadore
Admiral

Per VUcommodores.com

Post by commadore »

PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUP
- TUESDAY: RHP Mason Hickman (5-0, 2.04 ERA) vs. LHP Connor Adams (2-1, 7.80 ERA)
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

This should be “pad your hitting stats” for VU....Tech’s pitching has been horrendous! They still have a few big hitters, but we haven’t given up that many homers this season.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

I'm not sure this is a correct count, but it looked like they have given up double digit runs in 12 of their losses this season. And they are buried in last place in the OVC?
Versus75
Admiral

Yeah, but ...

Post by Versus75 »

Tennessee Tech showed some punch in whipping Alabama A&M two weeks ago by a score of 28-8!

But then that same AA&M squad was humbled at Louisville last weekend by scores of 32-1, 15-3 and 14-3.

Three Techsters boast double-digit home runs and three regulars are batting over .300 ... but then, as noted earlier, the pitching is suspect.

Adams may have a .667 W-L percentage, but he has allowed 18 runs (13 earned) on 22 hits and 19 walks in only 15 innings. This could be a fun game!
StarTraveler
Commander

Post by StarTraveler »

We have some initial feedback on this. In the top of the 5th, it’s 15 to 1 Vandy.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:34 pm This should be “pad your hitting stats” for VU....Tech’s pitching has been horrendous! They still have a few big hitters, but we haven’t given up that many homers this season.
That was prescient.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I know what Zach King’s role needs to be going forward.
Geez...
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

After watching this whole freaking game, I have come to the conclusion that we have some pitchers that are not worthy of a scholarship. We so far (in the ninth now) have had 3 guys walk the bases loaded. That is absolutely pitiful. I assume we will win, leading 21-7, but unless we waste a pitcher I'm not sure we will ever get anyone out. Currently bases loaded and no one out for TTU.
Just throw the ball down the damn middle of the plate and take your licks if they hit it. Good grief.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

commadore wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:36 pm Just throw the ball down the damn middle of the plate and take your licks if they hit it. Good grief.
Completely agree. But it flies in the face of the Scott Brown school of pitching thought which is "live on the corners and throw breaking balls out of the zone". When you have arms as talented as ours, let them challenge hitters. Instead, he thinks we have to nibble the corners with guys throwing 95+. Bad philosophy.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:04 am
commadore wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:36 pm Just throw the ball down the damn middle of the plate and take your licks if they hit it. Good grief.
Completely agree. But it flies in the face of the Scott Brown school of pitching thought which is "live on the corners and throw breaking balls out of the zone". When you have arms as talented as ours, let them challenge hitters. Instead, he thinks we have to nibble the corners with guys throwing 95+. Bad philosophy.
One thing I wish our hard throwers did more is throw the high fast ball above the strike zone. That is a pitch that is hard for hitters to resist. Of course, if you miss low with that pitch, you leave the ball in the middle of the plate, and that's probably why they don't do it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic