Weathers: Gatorade TN PoTY

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Weathers: Gatorade TN PoTY

Post by VanDSIRROM »

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 651087002/

"After being selected Class A Mr. Baseball a week ago, Weathers, a Vanderbilt signee who’s listed at No. 18 on Baseball America’s top 100 prospects of 2018, received another one of the state’s top individual honors Tuesday, being named 2018 Gatorade Tennessee Baseball of the Year."

"Weathers, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound lefty, dominated opposing hitters all season, posting an 11-0 record with a 0.11 ERA and 132 strikeouts in 65 innings. The 2018 Tennessean Baseball Player of the Year nominee also excelled at the plate, batting .455 (.743 slugging) with eight doubles, 25 runs and 13 stolen bases."

“Ryan is the best high school pitcher I have ever seen,” Summertown coach Jason Burleson said. “He throws 3-4 different pitches and has command of all of them. What makes him so good on the mound is also his competitiveness. He makes everyone around him better.”

"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
commadore
Admiral

Re: Weathers: Gatorade TN PoTY

Post by commadore »

Sure would be sweet if he showed up for the first day of classes, but 3+ million is alfully hard to tur n down.
wdsmith45
Seaman

Post by wdsmith45 »

he gone.......
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

And Kumar Rocker was the Gatorade player of the year in Georgia:

https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/wi ... cker/36527
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

AuricGoldfinger wrote:And Kumar Rocker was the Gatorade player of the year in Georgia:

I've seen speculation that Rocker is 50/50 to go to college. Weathers is almost a given to sign.
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

College is a lot of fun!!!
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Tennessean reports that Weathers has been chosen Gatorade NATIONAL player of the year. We should see him in an MLB game in two years.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Commodoredave wrote:
AuricGoldfinger wrote:And Kumar Rocker was the Gatorade player of the year in Georgia:

I've seen speculation that Rocker is 50/50 to go to college. Weathers is almost a given to sign.
More about Rocker's indecision in this article: http://usatodayhss.com/2018/top-basebal ... vanderbilt.
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

Donny was player of year and came to VU
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Baseball America Q&A with Weathers

Reading between the lines, sounds like he is gone to MLB. His name is definitely being called Monday.

BA: Can you tell me a little bit about your Vanderbilt commitment? What do you like about the school and the program?

RW: So, we were playing my 15-year-old year, we were playing a game at Vanderbilt at the Music City Invitational. And before the game—we played a four o'clock game—coach (Tim) Corbin wanted me to come talk to him. This is when they were in the process of getting their brand new facility and everything. He sat down and talked to me for about two hours and five minutes of it might have been about baseball. He just talked to me about how to become a better person, a better man. That was first and foremost for Vanderbilt. What goes into being a good Vanderbilt baseball player is being a good person first. And coach Corbin is a dad, a coach, a mentor all in one. He's one of the best people I've ever met. And on my baseball circuit, the relationship I've made with him—it's irreplaceable. And then coach (Scott) Brown, he's been to a ton of my games. I've always talked to coach Brown, me and him have a great relationship. And you can't argue with the people they've produced out of there, you can't take that away from them. So they develop you when you get there and they continue to develop you into a well-rounded baseball player and also a well-rounded person. For me that was something you couldn't turn down.

Now, Monday will be a tough decision. Hopefully my name is called out Monday at the draft. If not, I'm going to Vanderbilt and I get to play for coach Corbin. I feel like I'm in a win-win situation, but at the same time it's going to be tough to have to make that phone call to tell one of the people that I'm not going to be coming there, that I'm going to be going elsewhere. For me that will be a tough decision because I'm a people person and to make those relationships with people and to have to tell them you might not be able to be able to go there—that's a tough thing to do.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -weathers/
Locked Previous topicNext topic