Jailen Ruth: Florida made a late run, but I stuck with Vandy

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Jailen Ruth: Florida made a late run, but I stuck with Vandy

Post by BrentVU »

Hawthorne (Fla.) High School defensive end Jailen Ruth said Florida made a late run for his services, but by that time he had his mind already made up. He committed and signed on signing day with Vanderbilt. In this article from the Gainesville Sun, his coach Cornelius Ingram (a former University of Florida star) said Ruth is so respected in his hometown, he may one day have his high school number retired...

Born and bred in Hornet Country, Ruth is one of the biggest names around town. So much so that Hawthorne head coach Cornelius Ingram hinted that Ruth's jersey number, No. 14, could be retired one day.

And the respect the community has for Ruth is undoubtedly reciprocated.

"Over the last four years, Hawthorne has shown me nothing but love and support," Ruth told the crowd. "It has been an honor to play in orange and black. I have nothing but true love for Hawthorne."

Now, Ruth, who played a vital role in the Hornets' state championship run this year, will be taking his talents to Nashville, suiting up for the Vanderbilt Commodores.

Previously committed to Washington State, Ruth decommitted from the Cougars in November and continued to field offers from other big name programs.

"Florida actually hit me up right before I signed," Ruth revealed. "It was them, Appalachian State and South Florida."

But Ruth has had his mind made up.

"I knew I was going there (Vanderbilt) probably a good three or four weeks ago," Ruth said. "It was the coaches and the players. They felt like home. I loved my visit. The city of Nashville is nice. I really like it."

https://www.gainesville.com/story/sport ... 748324007/

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: Jailen Ruth: Florida made a late run, but I stuck with Vandy

Post by UltimateVUFan »

His high school coach is named Cornelius Ingram???
No wonder he ended up at VU.
Labradore
Lieutenant

Re: Jailen Ruth: Florida made a late run, but I stuck with Vandy

Post by Labradore »

Gainesville local report: Cornelius Ingram was one of the all time freak star athletes to come through UF. Spectacularly impressive athleticism. Seemed like a sure fire future NFL player until repeated knee injuries derailed that path.

Great to hear his glowing report on Ruth… also a good sign that UF had interest (Hawthorne is 20 minutes to the east of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium).
Locked Previous topicNext topic