WAY WAY OT: Alabama academics

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

WAY WAY OT: Alabama academics

Post by FayetteDore »

Because there are several closet bammers on here (the enemy of my enemy is my friend, Bear worked here, etc), the place where Legends are Made is sharply reducing its general education core (read: arts & sciences & humanities), under the guise of "general education core reform," for all students. Sixty percent of the overall faculty voted in favor; Arts & Science faculty opposed.

Excerpt from the summary of changes from the UA website:

*Same General Education core curriculum for all UA students
*Overall reduction of core credit hours from 53-55 credit hours over two years to 37-38 credit hours, with advanced education requirements within major
*Addition of a common UA first-year experience (2 credit hours) within each College; this requirement is two 1-hour courses completed within the first year for first-year students.
*Reduction of writing-intensive requirement from 6 to 3 credit hours
*Reduction of humanities, literature, and fine arts requirement from 12 to 9 credit hours
*Reduction of history and social/behavioral requirements from 12 to 9 credit hours

Probably something to be expected from a place that closes its libraries on game days. :o

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
historybill
Admiral

Re: WAY WAY OT: Alabama academics

Post by historybill »

Just to clarify, I think most SEC schools close their school libraries on days that they have a home game. I know Georgia's does (says so on its website), and Auburn's does.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

So pitiful that my daughter took her 4.0 "bammer" diploma and got a scholarship to the grad school at Vanderbilt. So what does that make Vanderbilt?
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

historybill wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:58 am Just to clarify, I think most SEC schools close their school libraries on days that they have a home game. I know Georgia's does (says so on its website), and Auburn's does.
Well two out of 14 qualifies as "most" I guess. :lol:

The mammoth one that's one block away from Neyland Stadium definitely does not close on game days (but its website warns patrons that "parking is very difficult on football game days.") And I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt would never dream of closing its library on a game day.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Classic projection from a not so closet rocky topper.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

FayetteDore wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:32 am
historybill wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:58 am Just to clarify, I think most SEC schools close their school libraries on days that they have a home game. I know Georgia's does (says so on its website), and Auburn's does.

The mammoth one that's one block away from Neyland Stadium definitely does not close on game days (but its website warns patrons that "parking is very difficult on football game days.") And I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt would never dream of closing its library on a game day.
It took me about 30 seconds to look those 2 up on the internet, and now I just looked up LSU, Ole Miss and Florida, and all of three of those schools close their libraries on football game days as well. That's 5/5 of the ones I've checked, plus Alabama, so that's that's 6/7 of the ones we've checked other than Vanderbilt.

As so many of us have said so many times, Vanderbilt does not fit in with the rest of the conference.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

historybill wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:36 pm
FayetteDore wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:32 am

It took me about 30 seconds to look those 2 up on the internet, and now I just looked up LSU, Ole Miss and Florida, and all of three of those schools close their libraries on football game days as well. That's 5/5 of the ones I've checked, plus Alabama, so that's that's 6/7 of the ones we've checked other than Vanderbilt.

As so many of us have said so many times, Vanderbilt does not fit in with the rest of the conference.
OK, even though it was clearly not the point of the OP, I joined your research effort.

SEC libraries open on home football game days:
Arkansas, Auburn (open but hours curtailed), Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt ( (I have a screenshot of my online chat with the Florida "Ask a Librarian")

SEC libraries closed on home football game days:
Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Here's a story on this issue from AL.com,
https://www.al.com/educationlab/2022/11 ... urses.html
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Auburn has a library?
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

VU1970 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:57 pm Auburn has a library?
As a matter of fact, they do! And both books have been colored in.
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

Let me hear a whoop, whoop for vandys old CPLE!

In a world where we are trying to make a college degrees more practical I don't mind the core shrinking some although I would object to shrinking the writing requirement. Nobody can write anymore.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Mrcommodore wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:41 pm Let me hear a whoop, whoop for vandys old CPLE!

In a world where we are trying to make a college degrees more practical I don't mind the core shrinking some although I would object to shrinking the writing requirement. Nobody can write anymore.
Ain't that de truf.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

I honestly don't ever recall "Alabama" and "academics" being used together.
Locked Previous topicNext topic