OT Sorta New Stadium

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

OT Sorta New Stadium

Post by Nashmann »

Metro and the Titans are debating whether to spend $600-$1.2Billion on renovating the 23-year-old Nissan Stadium or just put that money towards building a new state-of-the-art facility. Current Structure concrete new one needs to use steel....

How soon before it is debated for Vandy to play in that new facility as opposed to renovating/replacing the Dud IMO Vandy needs to stay on campus and not play in a 65,000 seat stadium.

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: OT Sorta New Stadium

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Maybe we could get some pieces of Nissan Stadium for cheap when they begin dismantling it...
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Good idea. For instance, we could buy the chair seats and spray paint them black.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Hate to see them dismantle the site of Vandy's Music City Bowl win in 2008!

On the other hand, there were the two losses to UT and one to Ole Miss... ugh.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

BrentVU wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:42 am Hate to see them dismantle the site of Vandy's Music City Bowl win in 2008!

The site deserves a damn historical marker for the 2008 Music City Bowl alone.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:23 pm
BrentVU wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:42 am Hate to see them dismantle the site of Vandy's Music City Bowl win in 2008!

The site deserves a damn historical marker for the 2008 Music City Bowl alone.
Indeed! (Thanks for correcting me on the date.)
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Nashmann wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:45 am Metro and the Titans are debating whether to spend $600-$1.2Billion on renovating the 23-year-old Nissan Stadium or just put that money towards building a new state-of-the-art facility. Current Structure concrete new one needs to use steel....

How soon before it is debated for Vandy to play in that new facility as opposed to renovating/replacing the Dud IMO Vandy needs to stay on campus and not play in a 65,000 seat stadium.

Can someone who knows help me understand why it needs to be steel rather than concrete? Does concrete deteriorate faster? Vanderbilt Stadium appears to be a mixture of concrete with steel supports and it's about 15-18 years older than the Titans stadium.

Genuinely curious. This is one of those obscure topics that are fascinating to me. Or at least interesting.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

I will repeat my argument.....VU can build a state of the art new stadium on campus and when complete can turn current stadium into a parking garage. This could be done for approximately 400-500 Mil. With VU receiving upwards of $54M they could use this bank to pay off stadium and parking garage in less than 10 yrs!!!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

cjdore wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:24 pm...With VU receiving upwards of $54M they could use this bank to pay off stadium and parking garage in less than 10 yrs!!!
Increasing to $70M once UTx & OU join. Of course, there are other athletic programs that require money, too. But VU has received almost a quarter of a BILLION over the last 5 years, and a third of a BILLION over 10.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:24 pm
Nashmann wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:45 am Metro and the Titans are debating whether to spend $600-$1.2Billion on renovating the 23-year-old Nissan Stadium or just put that money towards building a new state-of-the-art facility. Current Structure concrete new one needs to use steel....

Can someone who knows help me understand why it needs to be steel rather than concretel? Does concrete deteriorate faster?

Genuinely curious. This is one of those obscure topics that are fascinating to me. Or at least interesting.
Yes. I was wondering the same thing.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:56 pm
cjdore wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:24 pm...With VU receiving upwards of $54M they could use this bank to pay off stadium and parking garage in less than 10 yrs!!!
Increasing to $70M once UTx & OU join. Of course, there are other athletic programs that require money, too. But VU has received almost a quarter of a BILLION over the last 5 years, and a third of a BILLION over 10.
and we have spent every penny - easy come and easy go
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

Most stadiums are a combination of steel and concrete, although FAU used aluminum rather than steel.

Concrete is strongest when in compression (foundation, sidewalk, etc.) That is, it can hold a heavy static load without failing. When in tension (pulled from each end) it breaks apart.

Steel, by contrast, is excellent in tension, so bridges are built with steel, not concrete. However, when supporting a compressive load steel can bend and may not recover to its original shape. Also, steel is subject to corrosion and may fail at a weak joint if not coated or painted regularly.

The classic design solution is to use steel reinforcement bars encased in concrete. The key here is to protect the steel from moisture and rusting (corrosion). Once corroded, the steel rebar expands, forcing the concrete into tension, cracking, and ultimately failure.

The Titans may want a stadium with more cantilevered decks, which involve more pure steel trusses, but I suspect the structure will still have a lot of concrete. BTW, Vanderbilt's stadium appears to have been very well maintained through the years and can last for decades longer in terms of materials.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BOOM! There it is.

Thank you VandyfanKY!
Exactly what I was looking for.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Locked Previous topicNext topic