Vandy Student Tickets and Covid

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Vandy Student Tickets and Covid

Post by OldDude »

GoVU wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:32 pm Ok - Safety. But if I look across and see our entire student section full of Kentucky Blue next week I am not going to be happy.
Bet on it ! I know ADCSL has to be a team player as far as VU Admin is concerned. but I hope she at least vocally took a stand as to student support for their fellow students - the athletes. This policy is frankly stupid within a group that is already mandated to be vaccinated (easy to document compliance) .

nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

underdog74 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:23 pm
MemorialMagic wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:03 am This is beyond idiotic. The student turnout had actually pretty good for some of the non-conference. I still can't believe this is true. What is the supposed reason/purpose?
You know...science!
Political science.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

This sucks. The two biggest games of the season. And yet students will be attending class in person.

[tweet][/tweet]
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:24 pm This sucks. The two biggest games of the season. And yet students will be attending class in person.

[tweet][/tweet]
It's like we are determined to put ourselves at a disadvantage relative to the rest of the conference. If I were a student paying 70K to go to school I'd not be happy about this situation. I assume not only will there be no students, but there will be no pep band as well (since they are made up of students). We could be really safe and not have anybody attend. Or if we were really creative we could just forfeit our games and make sure our athletes are safe as well.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:24 pm This sucks. The two biggest games of the season. And yet students will be attending class in person.

[tweet][/tweet]
It's like we are determined to put ourselves at a disadvantage relative to the rest of the conference. If I were a student paying 70K to go to school I'd not be happy about this situation. I assume not only will there be no students, but there will be no pep band as well (since they are made up of students). We could be really safe and not have anybody attend. Or if we were really creative we could just forfeit our games and make sure our athletes are safe as well.
Vandy athletics literally goes out of their way to get in their own way. The only school in the SEC to institute a baseless, knee-jerk response to the same issue that every college program is dealing with. Blazing trails in the wrong direction.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Steve Student who generally goes to the games, says, "well this weekend we can't attend the game, so let's go to 'popular student bar' and see if we can pick up some girls." He and several friends go to said bar and after 3 hours of drinking beer and socializing, pick up a girl and they "spend the night."
In which of the situations is Steve Student most likely to catch covid: Attend game at VU where all sitting around him are vaccinated, or go to bar for 3 hours and sleep with Sally Student from Unvaccinated U.?
Policy is moronic.
Xk8guy
Commander

Post by Xk8guy »

The way I read the message is that it applies to students with positive Covid tests. Am I wrong?
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

underdog74 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:54 am
Jason94 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 pm

[tweet][/tweet]
Vandy athletics literally goes out of their way to get in their own way. The only school in the SEC to institute a baseless, knee-jerk response to the same issue that every college program is dealing with. Blazing trails in the wrong direction.
Or following in the footsteps of the Ivies, Stanford, etc. in trying to look sophisticated.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

So... Vanderbilt is not allowing Vanderbilt students to come to the basketball games but it IS allowing students from other colleges to come to the games?

Is this true?

I say this because UT isn't starting classed until around Jan. 25 this year. A wholelotta UT students live in Middle Tennessee. So there absolutely WILL BE some UT students at the Vanderbilt game on January 18.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Season ticket holders just got an offer for student section tickets for $20/earch, non-transferable.

Goal is to fill the section with black and gold.... If the goal was that, offer the season ticket holders the opportunity to move down... Heck do it at the entrance.

I'd rather they left the section empty than do what they're doing.
We all know it's going to be filled with blue on the 11th and orange on the 18th.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

doubledore9603 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:43 pm Season ticket holders just got an offer for student section tickets for $20/earch, non-transferable.

Goal is to fill the section with black and gold.... If the goal was that, offer the season ticket holders the opportunity to move down... Heck do it at the entrance.

I'd rather they left the section empty than do what they're doing.
We all know it's going to be filled with blue on the 11th and orange on the 18th.
Got mine as well. This was my brief response to ADCSL's office :
This certainly takes a lot of nerve. Bar students from attending games and then solicit season ticket holders to buy those seats to keep opponents from filling them. The athletic department never ceases to amaze and disappoint.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

IF the new, more sophisticated masks work, and IF all the students are immunized and boosted, then why not do this:

MAKE UP about a thousand BLACK VANDERBILT masks and MAKE all the students wear them.

That might look kinda scary anyway... 1,000 people wearing black masks!

Why not do that?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

historybill wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:13 pm IF the new, more sophisticated masks work, and IF all the students are immunized and boosted, then why not do this:

MAKE UP about a thousand BLACK VANDERBILT masks and MAKE all the students wear them.

Why not do that?
Easy answer, Bill. That would be too clever an idea and would actually require some thought and effort on the part of the department.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Welp...it keeps getting worse:

[tweet][/tweet]
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

historybill wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:13 pm IF the new, more sophisticated masks work, and IF all the students are immunized and boosted, then why not do this:

Why not do that?

This is an awesome idea!
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Time to deluge the ticket office and vanderbilt Athletics offices with phone calls and emails.
So many things they could do better.

How about a contest... At entry, the staff picks folks decked out in Black and gold to get the complementary upgrades.
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:32 pm Welp...it keeps getting worse:

[tweet][/tweet]
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

One of the many questions that I have at this point is...

If your argument about students not coming is a good one, fine.

But WHY sell the tickets and allow the "student section" to now become a Kentucky/Tennessee fan/student section?

WHY use this COVID given opportunity to raise money at the expense of the team?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

It didn't start out this way, but I think this is becoming a PR disaster for Vanderbilt that will unfortunately be played out on national TV.

I'm not an anti-vax, anti-mask conspiracy guy. Far from it. I just don't understand how you can put vaccinated students together in a classroom but then tell them they can't attend a basketball game on their own campus with other vaccinated people, and let them sit in their dorm rooms and apartments watching the gym fill up with opposing fans sitting in their seats. The gym was already going to be dominated by orange and blue due to a variety of other factors; now it's exponentially bad.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Just to clarify... I don't think the students are "in" the classroom yet. They are having remote classes, I think.

What I don't understand is why, at some point, you can't just tell the students to WEAR masks and enforce that policy.

Also, obviously, this does raise the "why doesn't Vanderbilt just get out of the SEC if it doesn't want to play in the SEC" questions.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

historybill wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:53 pm Just to clarify... I don't think the students are "in" the classroom yet. They are having remote classes, I think.
The start of classes was delayed by a week, but are planned to be in-person: https://www.vanderbilt.edu/coronavirus/ ... -students/

Now, that means many students would not have been in attendance for the South Carolina game (even without Covid) or the UK game (Tuesday), but they certainly would have been present for the UT game (1/18).
Locked Previous topicNext topic