Watching the Music City Bowl?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Seadog73
Admiral

Watching the Music City Bowl?

Post by Seadog73 »

Very interesting with 3:41 to play.

nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: Watching the Music City Bowl?

Post by nyyankeeDore »

A good outcome.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I thought UT was “Nashville’s team” and I expected the stadium to be filled with orange but surprisingly there was a large contingent of Purdue fans there.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

The Black and Goal of Purdue come through.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

Curious if the VFL crowd will blame Hueppel for the loss. With 26 seconds left and three TO, it seemed 10-15 yards was all They needed to kick a game winning FG.

7-6 seems more fitting for them they 8-5 would have been.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

That was a very satisfying game, it checked all the boxes:
- Tennessee lost the football game
- Tennessee lost a close football game in OT where they had more than an ample chance of winning
- Tennessee received several unfavorable calls down the stretch (2 straight PIs on Purdue's last drive in regulation, a 4th and goal that could have went either way but the goal line stand was upheld) meaning we will be hearing about it from UT fans at the water cooler and on the radio for years to come. Brings a giant smile to my face
- The self-declared Nashville team and their annoying coach didn't get the home calls in which they felt entitled
- A ton of UT people are crying in their beers tonight as they help fund the bars and restaurants in downtown Nashville and I'm nowhere nearby to be nauseated by all the orange and hillbilly conversations.
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:05 pm The Black and Goal of Purdue come through.
Very proud for my grad school black and gold!
GrumpyOldDore
Ensign

Post by GrumpyOldDore »

Random thoughts as I revel in this victory for my second favorite team du jour: Hope this loss signals the beginning of the fall from the heights of mediocrity. Was Coach Hoopla channeling Butch Jones tonight? May I suggest the "orange whine" to ring in the new year? Where were the golf ball and water and mustard bottle chuckers when they were needed most? Ah, the freude of schadenfreude.
GrumpyOldDore
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That was a fun game to watch and it gives you a realization about how important it is to have a great offense in this day and age.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

cc11316 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:39 pm - Tennessee received several unfavorable calls down the stretch (2 straight PIs on Purdue's last drive in regulation, a 4th and goal that could have went either way but the goal line stand was upheld) meaning we will be hearing about it from UT fans at the water cooler and on the radio for years to come.
IMHO, the two PI calls were legit, but the UT runner scored on the controversial play at the goal line. Not a UT fan by any means, but I thought Hooker played very well. He's already one of the top QB's in the SEC.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

geeznotagain wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:22 am
cc11316 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:39 pm - Tennessee received several unfavorable calls down the stretch (2 straight PIs on Purdue's last drive in regulation, a 4th and goal that could have went either way but the goal line stand was upheld) meaning we will be hearing about it from UT fans at the water cooler and on the radio for years to come.
IMHO, the two PI calls were legit, but the UT runner scored on the controversial play at the goal line. Not a UT fan by any means, but I thought Hooker played very well. He's already one of the top QB's in the SEC.
I would have to see the relay again, but a lot happened on that play. First, one of your teammates can’t pull you forward. That happened on that run. That could have been a penalty on UT. Also, the runner fumbled the ball after he stretched it across the goal line. Did he have it in his possession long enough for it to be a touchdown? I’m not sure. Then after the fumble an offensive lineman fell on the ball right in front of the goal line. He didn’t cross the goal line so if that was legitimately a fumble, the play would have ended at the place the UT player recovered it short of the end zone.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

geeznotagain wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:22 am
Two things here: I agree he reached across the goal, but I also agree that the lineman pulled him across, which is a penalty. You can push, but not pull.
Second, as many times as WE have been screwed against ucheat, it was nice to see them get the short end of the stick, in Nashville no less. Only sorry I am not in Tennessee to hear the whining.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

NCAA rules are pretty clearly written. The ball was considered dead the second the tight end grabbed the runners pads and "attempted" to pull him forward. Since the TE couldn't pull the runner forward enough to show a "decidedly clear yardage gain" there was no additional penalty of 5 yards assessed (which would have been enforced on the next regulation set of downs giving Purdue the ball at the 20).
Locked Previous topicNext topic