Another example of why Lunardi is a joke

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Another example of why Lunardi is a joke

Post by dallasdore »

Mizzou is (this week) ranked in the top 25, and deservedly so. They've done pretty well in conference, plus have blown the doors off of Iowa State and at Illinois. They are definitely a top 25 team in my opinion.

Dim-wit Lunardi has not had them higher than an 8 seed basically all year, and they sit there now. I guess he needs to promote his precious big ten teams that he gushes over.

I really, really hope that the selection committee has not and will not waste any time on looking at his opinion.

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Another example of why Lunardi is a joke

Post by Seadog73 »

I really, really hope that those precious big ten teams crash and burn in the first 2 rounds of the NCAAT.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Seadog73 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:09 pm I really, really hope that those precious big ten teams crash and burn in the first 2 rounds of the NCAAT.
They always do, especially in the first round (See: State, Ohio last year among others).

Probably the most over-rated conference this past decade by a long shot.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

If you think Lunardi is a joke, what about KenPom?

6 out of 14 SEC schools are in the Top 26
#3. Alabama.
#5. UT
#19. Arkansas
#21. Kentucky
#24. A&M
#26. Auburn

Vandy is currently #81 - 10th in the SEC. I mean Florida, a team Vandy beat twice by a combined 24 point margin is currently 22 spots ahead of Vandy at #59.

That is crazy and a bit disrespectful.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Jason94 could tell us, but it seems that KenPom is close to the NET … and we all know how that turned out.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

As a math proof:
Hypothesis: Lunardi is a joke.
Evidence: Coach Stackhouse said not to worry about what Lunardi says. Wise men don't argue with Coach Stackhouse.
QED. Lunardi is a joke.

Hypothesis: KenPom is a joke.
Evidence: The 3rd letter in "KenPom" is the same as the 3rd letter in "Lunardi"
Transitive property: Replace "KenPom" with "Lunardi"
Evidence: Coach Stackhouse said not to worry about what Lunardi says. Wise men don't argue with Coach Stackhouse.
QED. KenPom is a joke.

cc11316 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 pm If you think Lunardi is a joke, what about KenPom?

#3. Alabama.
#5. UT
#19. Arkansas
#21. Kentucky
#24. A&M
#26. Auburn

Vandy is currently #81 - 10th in the SEC. I mean Florida, a team Vandy beat twice by a combined 24 point margin is currently 22 spots ahead of Vandy at #59.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

cc11316 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 pm If you think Lunardi is a joke, what about KenPom?

#3. Alabama.
#5. UT
#19. Arkansas
#21. Kentucky
#24. A&M
#26. Auburn

Is that the same Arkansas that Vandy hung 70 on in THE SECOND HALF of a game?

Anybody? "VANDERBUILDER" who still lurks?
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:53 pm Jason94 could tell us, but it seems that KenPom is close to the NET … and we all know how that turned out.
I know there are other factors, and I don't know the exact formulas for KenPom and NET, but both rankings are efficiency based, measuring points per 100 possessions on offense and points allowed per 100 possessions on defense.

So, a team with our profile - a number of impressive, but very close wins mixed with an epic beat down at Alabama and a couple more sizable losses - is going to be undervalued compared to their W-L record.

Our wins have essentially placed us as neutral in net rating while our losses look pretty bad.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

#3. Alabama.
#5. UT
#19. Arkansas
#21. Kentucky
#24. A&M
#26. Auburn

Why would this be a joke? NET and Kenpom don't care when a game was played - the contribution of the result of a particular game is not weighed twords when it was played in the season. Both systems are looking at NET efficiency, not what a team's record is. So going onto the road and losing to Missouri by only 3 is a better outcome (from an efficiency standpoint) than winning by 3 points at home against Wofford. When you are trying to determine who is the best team, that makes sense, because context of the game matters - Missouri is a tough opponent and was favored by double digits against us so it was a good effort to be in the game late. Wofford OTOH is a bad team that was around a double digit dog to us, and barely beating them was indicative of a less than ideal effort on our part.

In our streak of winning 8 of 9 games, we've outscored our opponents by a smaller margin than the Bama loss, so obviously we wouldn't have made up a ton of ground in efficiency ratings. You are misunderstanding what each rating system is and that is why you think it is a joke. Why would those systems rate two games against UF with greater weight than the other 29 games each team had played?
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Not sure if this has been covered before but: how do the efficiency rankings (NET, KenPom) do vs the Vegas point spreads and/or results in the NCAA tourney. I would imagine some service has taken a look at this over the years.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

dore74 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:45 am Not sure if this has been covered before but: how do the efficiency rankings (NET, KenPom) do vs the Vegas point spreads and/or results in the NCAA tourney. I would imagine some service has taken a look at this over the years.
The point spreads listed at kenpom are pretty close to what vegas has for the games. I don't think NET has any point spreads.
Locked Previous topicNext topic