Attendance suggestion?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandylifer
Lieutenant

Attendance suggestion?

Post by vandylifer »

IF Vandy is looking at some limited attendance I'd suggest dividing the number of season ticket holders by, say 5 and then let those "groups" rotate seeing every 5th game. Not perfect, but would give all of us a chance to make some games in person. The odd number would allow all of us to eventually get several Friday, Saturday, Sunday and mid-week games in. Other suggestions?

PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Re: Attendance suggestion?

Post by PinkFloyd »

per metro rules at least until April .......2 people per player , and scouts of course.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:13 pm per metro rules at least until April .......2 people per player , and scouts of course.
Is this a new Metro rule? The Titans averaged 18% capacity, almost 13,000 per game. But then, they play on the other side of the Cumberland.
Versus75
Admiral

I DID find this, Pink ...

Post by Versus75 »

... which says nothing about "scouts." Could be you added that because you want the scouts to see how talented are our VandyBoys. I'm okay with that.

What I found was a "Roadmap for Reopening Nashville: Phase 3" whitepaper, effective Feb. 1.

https://www.asafenashville.org/roadmap- ... resources/

It states:

Metro Public Health has established an approval process for events with more than 8 people. With approval by Metro Public Health, events may resume at 30% of venue capacity or up to a max of 500 people, assuming proper social distancing – whichever is fewer. Face coverings required.
- Note that Metro Public Health will be strict in its analysis of safety protocols for larger events and reserves the right to decline or modify an event application based on the health risk factors contained within it.

500 attendees would be about 15% capacity at Hawkins Field. As many fans would not want to attend this kind of event, a good percentage of those who wish to attend could be accommodated by a 500-person limit.

*Has Metro already addressed the Vanderbilt Baseball issue? I see no news to that effect.
*Were the Tennessee Titans given an exemption that allowed them attendance of around 13,000 per game or are the current standards more restrictive?
*Is Vanderbilt going rogue once again in closing the stands to fans? If so, please publish this and explain the rationale.

The two attendees per student requirement that you cited applies to public schools:

Metro Nashville Public Schools High Schools
Metro Public Health Department has issued guidance for school sporting events including that attendance be limited to no more than two spectators per student-athlete and coach.
FrontDore
Ensign

Post by FrontDore »

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

It just seems strange to me that most SEC teams are allowing 20% attendance for outdoor activities whereas we were just 1,000 students and family. Those schools, with an exception or two, had fewer Covid issues than did the conservative VU. Seems like 500 would be a good number to let in with very little risk, as long as masks and social distancing were observed.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

I was incorrect when I stated that Metro was limiting the number of fans to the the Vandy baseball games.

It is in fact Vanderbilt University that is limiting the number to 4 immediate family members.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

I would add that this pandemic is real , but being used as a ruse to control ... 99% survival rate.... 60% of death from elderly and medical facilities...

Welcome to the new world
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

commadore wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:04 pm It just seems strange to me that most SEC teams are allowing 20% attendance for outdoor activities whereas we were just 1,000 students and family. Those schools, with an exception or two, had fewer Covid issues than did the conservative VU. Seems like 500 would be a good number to let in with very little risk, as long as masks and social distancing were observed.
The other SEC schools are state entities that have more immunity from successful law suits than Vanderbilt has.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:48 pm
commadore wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:04 pm It just seems strange to me that most SEC teams are allowing 20% attendance for outdoor activities whereas we were just 1,000 students and family. Those schools, with an exception or two, had fewer Covid issues than did the conservative VU. Seems like 500 would be a good number to let in with very little risk, as long as masks and social distancing were observed.
The other SEC schools are state entities that have more immunity from successful law suits than Vanderbilt has.
I would love to defend that case in court. You just TRY to prove you got covid AT the ball game. Why not at Walmart, Home Depot, the 16 places you ate out, church, etc., in addition to the Hawk.
surlyrich
Petty Officer

Post by surlyrich »

While I'm disappointed I won't get to be at games in person, I will watch them all online as they are available. I doubt I would have felt comfortable attending anyway without getting the vaccine yet.

However, I'll give this a slightly different spin. The teams that stay the healthiest and get in the most games in order to gel and shake off the rust from not really playing last year, may be the most competitive and have a better chance for Omaha. The Hawk is very intimate with the fans very near the playing field. Keeping fans away could help the team better manage contract tracing and minimize potential COVID exposure. Some of the other SEC schools have much larger stadiums and could restrict fans to the upper levels away from players (they probably won't but could).

I realize my theory goes out the window somewhat with all the COVID positive/tracking issues with the basketball and football teams. However, those teams weren't going to win much regardless. Anything I can do (or not do) that could help send this team to Omaha for another title shot is worth the attendance sacrifice.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

surlyrich wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:47 am While I'm disappointed I won't get to be at games in person, I will watch them all online as they are available. I doubt I would have felt comfortable attending anyway without getting the vaccine yet.

However, I'll give this a slightly different spin. The teams that stay the healthiest and get in the most games in order to gel and shake off the rust from not really playing last year, may be the most competitive and have a better chance for Omaha. The Hawk is very intimate with the fans very near the playing field. Keeping fans away could help the team better manage contract tracing and minimize potential COVID exposure. Some of the other SEC schools have much larger stadiums and could restrict fans to the upper levels away from players (they probably won't but could).

I realize my theory goes out the window somewhat with all the COVID positive/tracking issues with the basketball and football teams. However, those teams weren't going to win much regardless. Anything I can do (or not do) that could help send this team to Omaha for another title shot is worth the attendance sacrifice.
Right now vucommodores.com lists neither the online nor the radio hook up. Hopefully that will change soon.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

surlyrich wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:47 am While I'm disappointed I won't get to be at games in person, I will watch them all online as they are available. I doubt I would have felt comfortable attending anyway without getting the vaccine yet.

I wonder how many baseball players have already had the virus....? I wonder how many coaches and staff? I wonder how sick they really got being in the top physical shape of their life
Versus75
Admiral

Re: Attendance at other SEC schools

Post by Versus75 »

Kentucky just posted online that single-game tickets are for sale. Unfortunately, that's for their HOME games and UK plays AT Vanderbilt this season.

UK will allow up to 20% attendance, so I suppose that means either there are a low number of season ticket holders or a lot of folks don't want to attend the games if they could.

~~~

I contacted the UT Ticket Office and was told that the Big Orange will allow 20% capacity as well but that all season tickets are sold out. The only single-game tickets they have are Groups of 10 in the Porch or Deck areas, wherever those are ... I suppose on the Porch and Deck.

I said, "I could get 10 people together," and asked about the Vanderbilt games.

"All we have left," I was told, "are for the non-conference games. But you could purchase single-game tickets on the secondary market."

Turns out THOSE are $183 and up (plus fees) per ticket. No thanks.
Versus75
Admiral

Attendance suggestion

Post by Versus75 »

Before I get to the suggestion, I should note that I do see on the Vanderbilt App a link to LISTEN to the games. Nothing yet about video, but I hope that's at least an option for all SEC games.

Now, my thought. I won't actually try it out because if the Powers That Be hear that I'm driving 170 miles to Nashville just for this they will shut it down.

THE PARKING GARAGE!

Can you be socially distant and park in every other space on the top level of the 25th Avenue Garage? I would love to do that with a crowd, assuming VU doesn't close the garage on game days or charge 50 bucks to park.

Watch the game from above with a radio and binoculars nearby ... and maybe a few brewskis for the non-designated-driver in the group.

The above photo was from one of the Oregon State Super Regional games in 2011. Credit to "sportsguy" and prosportsetc.com. If the image doesn't load, right-click and select View Image or Open Image in New Tab. Maybe Don can tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

http://prosportsetc.com/blog/?m=201106
Punctuation not very good, but love the photos!
Locked Previous topicNext topic