our Coach

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Hutch37
Commander

our Coach

Post by Hutch37 »

Intense, resolute, not skipping any steps, love. All these things define Stack- He is as genuine as they come- as all the slick hucksters make their recruiting rounds we can just pop in the press conferences after he benched Lawrence then Tyrin hits the shot to beat UT and springboard our whole season and Stack talks about tough lessons and being in his wedding . Stack's remarks after we beat (can't remember who) but jordan barely played a part and then fast forward to the post Rupp win presser where he gets emotional talking about Jordan. It is amazing to see what he has built with this group- they seem incredibly close and encouraging to each other. I was there to watch some early garbage performances early and this is as great a coaching job as you will ever see in getting them to this point. No matter what happens from here on this has been an absolute joy to watch.
Development of players has been exceptional and I cannot imagine any parent not wanting their son to play for a coach like Stack.

docdore
Vice Admiral

Re: our Coach

Post by docdore »

Hutch37 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:18 am Intense, resolute, not skipping any steps, love. All these things define Stack- He is as genuine as they come- as all the slick hucksters make their recruiting rounds we can just pop in the press conferences after he benched Lawrence then Tyrin hits the shot to beat UT and springboard our whole season and Stack talks about tough lessons and being in his wedding . Stack's remarks after we beat (can't remember who) but jordan barely played a part and then fast forward to the post Rupp win presser where he gets emotional talking about Jordan. It is amazing to see what he has built with this group- they seem incredibly close and encouraging to each other. I was there to watch some early garbage performances early and this is as great a coaching job as you will ever see in getting them to this point. No matter what happens from here on this has been an absolute joy to watch.
Development of players has been exceptional and I cannot imagine any parent not wanting their son to play for a coach like Stack.
totally agree...stack deserves tremendous praise and credit (i was among those who felt otherwise on 2/1/23). something tells me that adcsl may deserve a share of it also.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

The last month has been very good for Stack's Stock (say that 5 times fast).

A month ago I was still on Stack's side ... but I agreed that he should feel some warmth on his seat.

Early in this streak, someone questioned if he would be poached by UNC, and I made a comment along the lines of "I don't want him to leave, but I wouldn't be horrified by it"

Now? If for some reason UNC (or another blue blood) comes calling, we need to open up the bank to convince him we're worth staying for. 10-1 at the end of a season is more than just a hot streak.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

Nice words! This year college coaching has "come together" for Stack. Let's face it. He is tough and opinionated. He is also smart and accomplished. There is no doubt an adjustment becoming a college coach for the first time. We've seen he can recruit quality players, but leading and coaching them say vice a G-League or NBA team is a new challenge for him. I think we saw, externally, the growing pains of this talented group and its coach. I hoped he would be open to learning and adjusting and he has been. For example, CJS has now running a much better offense for this group than earlier in the season. He's letting his assistants give inputs. The team, after Alabama, finally came onboard with his system and coaching. I think they've accepted his demanding style and his genuine care and concern for them. They've come together and become an excellent team, and it is beautiful to behold. I hope Stack is here for the long haul - that Candice and the school make it so he doesn't want to leave. I think Stack's potential is incredibly high, and the fact that he is a good person and really cares about his guys is icinig on the cake.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

mathguy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:32 am The last month has been very good for Stack's Stock (say that 5 times fast).

A month ago I was still on Stack's side ... but I agreed that he should feel some warmth on his seat.

Early in this streak, someone questioned if he would be poached by UNC, and I made a comment along the lines of "I don't want him to leave, but I wouldn't be horrified by it"

Now? If for some reason UNC (or another blue blood) comes calling, we need to open up the bank to convince him we're worth staying for. 10-1 at the end of a season is more than just a hot streak.
good memory, it was me that worried UNC would come calling and I still do. But, he likes Nashville, but when home calls...
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:35 pm
mathguy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:32 am The last month has been very good for Stack's Stock (say that 5 times fast).

good memory, it was me that worried UNC would come calling and I still do. But, he likes Nashville, but when home calls...
I'm still not too worried. Despite the disappointment of this season for UNC, I don't think they'd be ready to fire a Favorite Son coach that stretched back to Dean Smith after only 2 years ... especially when one of those two years involved beating Duke in the Final Four.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:35 pm

But can he get as high quality suits in NC as he can in Nashville???

(Sarcasm alert: I know his suit guys aren’t in Nashville)
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I don’t believe any amount of money would sway Stack. I think he loves the culture here and it will never be about dollars and cents! I, also, don’t believe Davis is going anywhere at UNC….he led them to the Nat’l ChAmpionship game just last year!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

docdore wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:01 am...i was among those who felt otherwise on 2/1/23).
Me, too. I'll own up to it. But i think that was a very legit concern AT THE TIME. That Southern Miss loss- how would we know they would turn out to be this good- and of course Grambling, both at home. It looked for all the world that we were going to miss ANY postseason play. AGAIN.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I have to take credit (for once) for being on the right side of the Stack controversy. I really believed in him and could not imagine us doing better. I'm so glad I was right. I felt that the players and families were buying in- even during the rough stretch- and that told me a lot.
Locked Previous topicNext topic