It's Tennessee Week!

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

It's Tennessee Week!

Post by FayetteDore »

And suddenly, unexpectedly, it's Game On!

There have been enough upsets this season to show that anything is possible. Yesterday put an exclamation point on that.

Too bad many Vandy fans sold their tickets earlier in the season. And after their bama win, UT fans rushed in to buy tickets (I was monitoring the VU ticket website to see if that happened and it did.)

Charleston said earlier that he didn't know why anyone would want to endure the "orange hordes." BUT if the Commodores win, many of you, "like gentlemen in England now a-bed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here."

I'll happily be among the hordes but I'm going on radio silence this week. Have fun with this thread. Win or lose, see you on the other side. :) ;) 8-) :lol:

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Re: It's Tennessee Week!

Post by dallasdore »

They should be favored by at least 14. So we have a chance to do something that I'm not sure has ever been done before: Win outright as a 14+ point underdog 3 weeks in a row.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Good piece on the game by Joe Rexrode in The Athletic

A general discussion on the second-year rebuilds underway at both UT and VU, including, as most of us on here have said, progress exceeding both fanbases' hopes and projections before the season.

And this reminder of Tennessee's 2016 team (Butch Jones' last season) leading up to the Vanderbilt game:

That (2016) Tennessee team was no longer a Playoff contender, not after losing in double overtime at Texas A&M and by 39 at home to Alabama. It was still in position to win the SEC East, however, until a 24-21 loss at South Carolina that never should have happened. Jones’ Vols were playing in Nashville for a presumed spot in the Sugar Bowl. Derek Mason’s Commodores instead pulled a 45-34 upset to earn a sixth win and a bowl bid.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:01 pm And suddenly, unexpectedly, it's Game On!

There have been enough upsets this season to show that anything is possible. Yesterday put an exclamation point on that.

Too bad many Vandy fans sold their tickets earlier in the season. And after their bama win, UT fans rushed in to buy tickets (I was monitoring the VU ticket website to see if that happened and it did.)

Charleston said earlier that he didn't know why anyone would want to endure the "orange hordes." BUT if the Commodores win, many of you, "like gentlemen in England now a-bed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here."

I'll happily be among the hordes but I'm going on radio silence this week. Have fun with this thread. Win or lose, see you on the other side. :) ;) 8-) :lol:
Fayette, I see I live in your head... I did not say I "didn't know why anyone would want to endure the orange hordes." I said we would keep our distance from them - meaning not sit with them. I agree that it is terrible for VU fans to sell tickets to UT fans. If I lived anywhere near the stadium, I would be there Saturday.

My quote from Oct 16, 2022 was: “They lead the conference in bad sportsmanship, everything from ketchup bottles to human beings thrown or running on the field. Things could be ugly at Dudley later this season: by ugly I mean all the orange in our stadium. I suspect most Vanderbilt fans will keep their distance from the unruly horde.”
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

"If I lived anywhere near the stadium, I would be there Saturday."

I dunno Charleston, if you did come, we'd have to ask stadium management to turn down the loudspeakers to accommodate you, which would mean they couldn't use loud music to drown out the orange hordes and their pep band like they did with Florida. But I'm confident they'll oblige if only you would grace us with your tender presence. 8-)

Your post from the nice to have a home win thread:
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 9.41.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 9.41.00 AM.png (69.21 KiB) Viewed 727 times
GrumpyOldDore
Ensign

Post by GrumpyOldDore »

The good news is the Chugger defense seems to consist of a loud crowd disrupting communications of the opponent's offense plus ten guys and a chirperback. This week the Chugger defense will have to operate on no more than one third of its effective decibel level. I'll be there. I have Chugger fanatics in my family and can usually endure their presence.
GrumpyOldDore
Locked Previous topicNext topic