A Different Take on the Decommits

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Seadog73
Admiral

A Different Take on the Decommits

Post by Seadog73 »

CJF famously told every recruit he planned to recruit over them in the next class. Colleges have the same problem - a HS player offered by VU will find it hard to turn down a Bama or a Georgia offer that comes later, for example.

We may be losing some of our relatively early commits to higher ranking programs who have now seen what our recruiting team saw earlier. It happens. At least we may be identifying players earlier.

What is interesting is most of these losses (all?) are on the defensive side of the ball. And that is where it seems we are making good progress, not withstanding the results.

DS2001
Rear Admiral

Re: A Different Take on the Decommits

Post by DS2001 »

What's that recruiting Guru/Manager's name?.......Bart? Bartman......Barton! Yeah, that's him. I wonder how he's surviving this recruiting exodus?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

The other thing to consider is that the staff is identifying guys that other schools eventually end up wanting. That's a good sign. Its okay to have a few decommits throughout the process because they received an offer from a top 10 program. Usually those big schools don't want them unless they can really play. This is where the early signing period helps us, less time to get picked off. We just need to keep identifying guys early and then closing the deal.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

Vandy has always seen top players decommit. If I were a recruiter for a power 5 team, after I did my usual work finding kids, I would look at the players committed to Vandy, Northwestern, Duke, Stanford and other lower tier/ tough academic power 5 schools to see if they found a possible diamond. Multiple decommits tells me they are finding good kids. Hopefully being in early on them can help keep a few good ones. The transfer portal is going to be very similar though, IMO.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

DS2001 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:46 pm What's that recruiting Guru/Manager's name?.......Bart? Bartman......Barton! Yeah, that's him. I wonder how he's surviving this recruiting exodus?
If Barton Simmons identifies a 3 star recruit who has a breakout Senior season and then gets courted by top 20 programs, then Barton Simmons did his job.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

I would rather have the staff going after players who may get better offers and later decommit than to go after players with the path of least resistance like CDM did in his last few recruiting cycles. Can't be afraid to chase players you'll have to fight for.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Back to my pet peeve on not taking transfers. Transfers could have helped put the thumb in the dyke and perhaps have gotten us a couple of more wins which could have kept some of these kids in the program. But, agree that if kids are getting better offers, we are going after the right kids.

And, if fans would get their butts In the stands, it might help in keeping kids who are committed.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

baseball1234 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:08 pm Back to my pet peeve on not taking transfers. Transfers could have helped put the thumb in the dyke and perhaps have gotten us a couple of more wins which could have kept some of these kids in the program. But, agree that if kids are getting better offers, we are going after the right kids.

And, if fans would get their butts In the stands, it might help in keeping kids who are committed.
There are some places where spelling really makes a difference.
I’ll just leave it at that.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

There are some places where spelling really makes a difference.
I’ll just leave it at that.

:lol:
Locked Previous topicNext topic