OT: NBA Expansion in Kentucky

The best forum for fans of storied Kentucky Wildcats' basketball program.
Wildcat15
Fat Cat

OT: NBA Expansion in Kentucky

Post by Wildcat15 »

It seems that there is a big push to get the NBA to site a team in Louisville as part of the next round of expansion (which may be happening fairly soon). What are we thinking about this? Does the state realistically have a shot against cities like Seattle (seems hard to believe they wouldn't get a team given what happened with the Seahawks, Austin or Las Vegas in the race?
Kentucky14 Staff
Site Admin

Re: OT: NBA Expansion in Kentucky

Post by Kentucky14 Staff »

Seattle was promised a franchise and was able to keep the name "Sonics" for it. However, they haven't built a worthy facility yet as far as I know. Louisville already has a fabulous facility.
Wildcat15
Fat Cat

Re: OT: NBA Expansion in Kentucky

Post by Wildcat15 »

Kentucky14 Staff wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:29 pm Seattle was promised a franchise and was able to keep the name "Sonics" for it. However, they haven't built a worthy facility yet as far as I know. Louisville already has a fabulous facility.
Which makes things even more interesting depending on when the expansion talks start to heat up. It is hard to imagine a city as bitter as Seattle was towards the NBA about the whole Sonics debacle agreeing to any kind of public funding for a new facility without a serious fight.

I also read Mexico City as an option the other day.