Carson Fulmer to start tonight ...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Carson Fulmer to start tonight ...

Post by Versus75 »

... Versus Toronto.

6:07 pm CDT

VU1970
Admiral

Re: Carson Fulmer to start tonight ...

Post by VU1970 »

Blue Jays announcers giving major props to Vandy and Coach Corbin. They just named lots of MLB players out of Vandy, from Scott Sanderson through Fulmer.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

Carson gets a ND...Sox win 4-3...

"In his first start of the season, right-hander Carson Fulmer held Toronto to five hits over five innings, surrendering all three runs."

"Right-hander Nate Jones (1-0) picked up the win with 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief. Closer Joakim Soria earned his second save of the season with a flawless ninth inning."

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/whi ... win-040418
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

VanDSIRROM wrote:Carson gets a ND...Sox win 4-3...

"In his first start of the season, right-hander Carson Fulmer held Toronto to five hits over five innings, surrendering all three runs."

"Right-hander Nate Jones (1-0) picked up the win with 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief. Closer Joakim Soria earned his second save of the season with a flawless ninth inning."

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/whi ... win-040418
He left with a 3-1 lead and the relief pitcher allowed both his runners to score.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

Thanks for the correction, CommaDore...
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

VanDSIRROM wrote:Thanks for the correction, CommaDore...
Well, they were his runs, but the guy that came in gave up three hits (one thrown out at the plate, I think) so his guys scored. I have never liked that rule, where a guy comes in and blows it but the prior guy gets the era hit.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Re: Carson Fulmer off to good start

Post by VanDSIRROM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

"The right-hander jumped off to a good start in that quest Wednesday night in a 4-3 victory over the Blue Jays. He gave up three earned runs on five hits with a walk and five strikeouts in five-plus innings."

@AD @AD @AD @AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Blue Jays - Bottom 6th
FULMER PITCHING FOR CHW
CHW
TOR
Donaldson singled to left.
Smoak doubled to deep right, Donaldson to third.
BUMMER PITCHING FOR CHW
CHW
TOR
Pearce hit for Granderson.
Pearce singled to left, Donaldson scored, Smoak to third.
Grichuk struck out looking.
Martin grounded into fielder's choice to third, Smoak out at home, Pearce to second.
Morales singled to center, Pearce scored, Martin to third, Morales to second advancing on throw.
FARQUHAR PITCHING FOR CHW
CHW
TOR
Pillar grounded out to shortstop.
2 RUNS, 4 HITS, 0 ERRORS

So a reliever named Bummer gave up the hits that scored Fulmer's runs. He left with runners on second and third and no outs. Bummer promptly gives up a single and one scored. With one out, a guy hits a grounder and they throw out the other Fulmer runner, but the hitter winds up at second. Next guy singles and the third run scores. I am not sure how both of those runs are charged to Fulmer. His first runner, sure, who scored from third on the single, but the guy on second that was his was subsequently thrown out. The next guy, Pearce, who scored got his hit off Bummer. Does anyone know the rule that would give that run to Fulmer? Doesn't make sense to me.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Good point, commadore. When I looked at the box score late game, it had Carson with 2 ER. Bummer with 1. The next morning, I was surprised to look at the final box score and see Carson with 3.

Don't understand either.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

commadore wrote:
So a reliever named Bummer gave up the hits that scored Fulmer's runs. He left with runners on second and third and no outs. Bummer promptly gives up a single and one scored. With one out, a guy hits a grounder and they throw out the other Fulmer runner, but the hitter winds up at second. Next guy singles and the third run scores. I am not sure how both of those runs are charged to Fulmer. His first runner, sure, who scored from third on the single, but the guy on second that was his was subsequently thrown out. The next guy, Pearce, who scored got his hit off Bummer. Does anyone know the rule that would give that run to Fulmer? Doesn't make sense to me.
The way I look at it is this. Let's say Smith gives up a single and leaves the game with a runner (A) on 1st and nobody out. Jones come in to pitch, the first batter hits a grounder to SS; runner A is forced at 2nd and runner B is now on 1st The next batter homers. Jones gets outs 2 and 3 with no further damage. Jones is only charged with 1 earned run. The fact that runner A is replaced by runner B is irrelevant. ONE of those runners is Smith's responsibility. Smith gets charged with one of those runs, since he was responsible for someone reaching first. Looking at it another way, with the forceout, runner B becomes Smth's responsibility after the forceout, having exchanged places with A.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Still sucks.
Locked Previous topicNext topic