VIDEO: Sophomore Justin Wilson pitching on Sunday

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

VIDEO: Sophomore Justin Wilson pitching on Sunday

Post by admin »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
surlyrich
Petty Officer

Re: VIDEO: Sophomore Justin Wilson pitching on Sunday

Post by surlyrich »

Can anyone put this clip in some context? Am I excited for Justin Wilson because he struck out two but walked one in that clip or am I concerned that two guys struck out?

Hitting, especially too many strike outs and not enough getting the ball in play, is what plagued last years team. I am really hoping for more contact and maybe getting back to well executed small ball. Besides the strikeouts last year, it seemed no one could get the bunt down when needed. Past teams were practically automatic to get down a sac bunt and move a runner over.
ScrappyDore
Captain

Re: VIDEO: Sophomore Justin Wilson pitching on Sunday

Post by ScrappyDore »

From what I can tell, video starts with man on first with one out in a save situation. Ethan Paul at the plate. He worked mostly the cheese but looks like a changeup for the k. If I had to guess he was hitting low to mid 90's on the fb.

Next up was Scott. He stayed primarily with the cheese again and was staying low and away and from the looks of it, just missed his spot as all 4 balls were close. Of course with the angle present, you cant really tell how off he was but from Clark's glove movement I would say he just missed. Low and away is how you want to pitch Scott in that spot.

Next up was the freshman Gonzalez. Looks like 3 straight heaters and got him looking. Gonzo had a nice cut on the 2nd pitch and was caught looking on the 3rd with a well placed down and in fb. That was 3 very good hitters so I would be excited for Wilson as that was a save opportunity and he did what you want a closer to do. Throw hard and hit your spots. Would not be surprised to see him start the year at closer. I forgot about him coming back from an injury and he was expected to be a big part of the pen last year.

Want to add that with that angle, it was hard to see if those pitches had movement. I would say his fb was moving. That caught looking on Gonzo appears to have drifted back in the zone and those misses to Scott seemed to do the same. If Wilson is throwing mid 90's with movement and what appears to be control, he could be a really nice backend piece for the staff.
Locked Previous topicNext topic