Slightly OT read on conference football chaos

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Slightly OT read on conference football chaos

Post by OldDude »

Interesting read on the mess with conference realignments:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... rcna101266

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Slightly OT read on conference football chaos

Post by Go Vandy! »

I know there are a lot of posters on these boards that think every sport but FB will go back like it was. I'd be for that, but don't see how. Do they (1) go back to the conference they abandoned? (2) go to a 3rd (possible 4th) conference in a decade? or (3) Do a whole lot of new non-football conferences just spring up? (My guess: maybe #3, put probably none of the above)
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:45 pm
I know there are a lot of posters on these boards that think every sport but FB will go back like it was. I'd be for that, but don't see how. Do they (1) go back to the conference they abandoned? (2) go to a 3rd (possible 4th) conference in a decade? or (3) Do a whole lot of new non-football conferences just spring up? (My guess: maybe #3, put probably none of the above)
The non-revenue sports will truly suffer. Hard for the admins to support 1500+ mile trips for lacrosse, soccer, swimming, etc. The season long impact on academics (remember that stuff ?) for a long season of lengthy trips will also be serious.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

OldDude wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:36 pm The non-revenue sports will truly suffer. Hard for the admins to support 1500+ mile trips for lacrosse, soccer, swimming, etc. The season long impact on academics (remember that stuff ?) for a long season of lengthy trips will also be serious.
I agree with you absolutely. I've been saying for 25-30-35 years that the top- say 64- FB programs should have separated from the NCAA, leaving their other sports in regional conferences. It would have been a de-facto playoff every season. But it sure seems to me they missed that chance. I just don't know how you "go back".
Locked Previous topicNext topic