Do y'all realize we have a football game this week????

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Do y'all realize we have a football game this week????

Post by dallasdore »

There seems to be less buzz on here this year than normal. Strange because we are a potential (likely?) bowl team again finally.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Do y'all realize we have a football game this week????

Post by commadore »

dallasdore wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:25 pm There seems to be less buzz on here this year than normal. Strange because we are a potential (likely?) bowl team again finally.
Extremely cautious optimism!
Doreheel
Seaman

Post by Doreheel »

This board is definitely quiet but I also am also optimistic and excited to see the team on Saturday night. Anchor Down! I think we get at least 5 wins and have a shot at bowl eligibility. The over under on season wins is 3.5 or 4. That seems like easy money
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Not sure what Saturday will tell us, in comparison to last year. It's going to be hard to top a 63-10 road win, although, Vandy did fall behind 7-0 and it was only 14-10 Vandy with less than seven minutes left in the first half. I doubt we will see a 35-point offensive output in any quarter. I guess my biggest hopes are for a win and for us not to lose any players between now and game two. Chase Gillespie and AJ Swann had pretty good Commodore debuts.

We did give up 20 first downs and 358 yards of total offense. It would be great to improve upon those numbers.

Anchored Down!
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I have thought the same about the lack of buzz for this opener but I suppose the amount of fan interest should be about 70% of what it normally would be since the stadium can only hold 28,500 rather than 41,000. I mean, it's only fair to have proportional interest, right?

Seriously, I'm really just hoping to see a clicking passing game, decent running game with at least one RB separating himself from the others and an IMPROVED DEFENSE. I'm really worried about PIs and giving up chunks of yardage if they can't pressure the QB without blitzing every down. That would be a bad sign against this opponent though they are very capable of racking up big passing yards. Personally, I'm more concerned about how they play than the score as the 63-10 score wasn't really indicative of the game. It probably should have been more like 44-20.
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

commadore wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:22 pm
dallasdore wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:25 pm There seems to be less buzz on here this year than normal. Strange because we are a potential (likely?) bowl team again finally.
Extremely cautious optimism!
The "cautious optimism" I think describes every Vandy fan this year. All the hesitancy is a "wait and see" with the D. I'm confident this offense is going to be able to compete at an SEC level. This appears to be a much improved front 7. If they can truly be disruptive and consistently create pressure, that can make a suspect secondary look good. I'm also somewhat nervous about this Hawaii team just because they are back this year to a full-blown run-and-shoot offense. For obvious reasons, that is worrisome for this team. I think we win the game, just maybe not as handily as people would like (especially after last year when it just snowballed out of control for them). My prediction is Hawaii comes out moving the ball and it may be a little uncomfortable early, then the athletes take over as the game moves along.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I know we're better. Excited to see it. Just not getting overly silly about things. Just ready to watch us go.
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

Is there a presser today? Depth chart being released with "OR" on it 72 times?
Locked Previous topicNext topic