Super Regional hosts …

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Super Regional hosts …

Post by Versus75 »

… are pre-determined if two regional hosts (#1 seeds) advance. The higher National Seed hosts.

If both #1 seeds are out and the regional winners are not seeded the same, the team with a higher seed usually hosts*. However, it must have submitted a bid in advance to host should it have free the opportunity.

If they are seeded the same and both teams had bid to host — which could happen in a few cases if the cards fall the right way tonight — someone at the NCAA makes the decision. Don’t know who does that but I don’t believe the Selection Committee is still at work.

There is no ranking of the lower seeds based on the rank of the #1 seed in that region.

See this example:
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/c ... 268656007/

* I don’t believe it is guaranteed; I would be interested in seeing what goes into those bids and which factors — potential attendance, polls/rankings, hotel options, best barbecue, etc. — are considered.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Super Regional hosts …

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Vanderbilt was in this position in 2018, when as a #2 seed it won its regional at Clemson and faced another #2 seed in Mississippi State. Vandy was selected by the NCAA to host the super regional over State. We never knew why, but head-to-head wins versus State likely helped tip it in our favor. Also, Dudy Noble was under construction at the time, which probably helped Vandy as well.

There was speculation last night on Twitter by the folks at DI Baseball that Tennessee's advantage over Southern Miss in hosting (should USM advance) was not as cut and dried as conventional wisdom might say.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

I thought ranking mattered when this happens.

Southern Miss (I posted this before, but they should’ve hosted the auburn regional…) should get the super by virtue of being ranked higher than UT

D1 (seems to be the usual reference on NCAA site?)
USM 13
UT 21

Baseball America
USM 17
UT 20

Collegiate Baseball
USM 13
UT 26

USA Today Coaches has UT ahead
UT 16
USM 19
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Versus75 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:12 am

If they are seeded the same and both teams had bid to host — which could happen in a few cases if the cards fall the right way tonight — someone at the NCAA makes the decision. Don’t know who does that but I don’t believe the Selection Committee is still at work.

I just asked Aaron Fitt of D1 Baseball this question on Twitter, and he says the committee will make the decision on whether the super regional is hosted in Knoxville or Hattiesburg.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

My guess is that UT wins in 2 regardless of where they play. They are playing well now. It so sticks in my craw that they are still playing and we are not.
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

Utk is playing AT Southern Miss.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Glad that Tennessee is going on the road. Southern Miss was a borderline host option

Sorry to see that Indiana State does not get to host TCU in a Super. I understand that schools put in a bid to host Regionals and (potential) Super Regionals at the same time, but I suppose there could be a conflict on the campus and the Sycamores aren’t able to play at home this weekend.

Otherwise, it’s a sign that you want to have friends on the committee.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Versus75 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:43 pm Glad that Tennessee is going on the road. Southern Miss was a borderline host option

Sorry to see that Indiana State does not get to host TCU in a Super. I understand that schools put in a bid to host Regionals and (potential) Super Regionals at the same time, but I suppose there could be a conflict on the campus and the Sycamores aren’t able to play at home this weekend.
There's a conflict. ISU is hosting the Indiana Special Olympics this weekend.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:10 pm
Versus75 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:43 pm Glad that Tennessee is going on the road. Southern Miss was a borderline host option

I seriously doubt they ever considered that ISU would be in a position to host a super regional. And they have probably hosted the Special Olympics for years. Troy hosts them in Alabama and has since around 2005-6.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Congrats to Southern Miss and best of luck in the Super Regionals. All the way to Omaha!!

Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:54 pm Congrats to Southern Miss and best of luck in the Super Regionals. All the way to Omaha!!

Wouldn't that be something if Southern Miss won it all. Miss State followed by Ole Miss followed by USM. Not likely, but neither was Ole Miss last year.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:10 pm
Thanks for that, Auric.

It appears that Indiana State and all of the teams other than TCU that are hosting will be “Home” for Game 1 and “Away” for Game 2 of the Supers.
Locked Previous topicNext topic