He’s Back!

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandy5
Ensign

He’s Back!

Post by Vandy5 »

According to Jon Rothstein, according to Tyrin

He’s Back!

Vandy5
Ensign

Re: He’s Back!

Post by Vandy5 »

Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Not back to Vanderbilt yet. He withdrew from the portal and is going back to a school.
Vandy5
Ensign

Post by Vandy5 »

Technically true. But Ty changed his Twitter profile picture… it’s him in a Vandy uniform
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Vandy5 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:47 pm Technically true. But Ty changed his Twitter profile picture… it’s him in a Vandy uniform
He changed that a couple weeks ago. I’m pretty certain he will return but he’s not officially back as a commodore.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Personally, I hope he goes somewhere else after all this. He's not THAT good.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:21 pm Personally, I hope he goes somewhere else after all this. He's not THAT good.
Pretty sure you’re the only one who feels this way on both counts. Certainly the latter point, anyway. Ty is an all-SEC caliber player.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:36 pm
Vandy187187 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:21 pm Personally, I hope he goes somewhere else after all this. He's not THAT good.
Pretty sure you’re the only one who feels this way on both counts. Certainly the latter point, anyway. Ty is an all-SEC caliber player.
Tyrin’s GW against the vols was the shot that turned the season around for us. He made a major jump for us last season and has the potential to be All SEC this coming season. With him, we are a potential tournament team and should be one of the top teams in the SEC again.
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

Lets get the facts straight- Stack encouraged Tyrin to submit for the draft- CJS knows how beneficial this can be to the player- if he gets told he will be drafted first round then that will usually mean that he goes pro. We would miss him on the team but that is a great sign for us to crank out NBA players . He does have a child and hard to question his Vandy loyalty over supporting the baby. What I think has (hopefully) happened is we have found a way to increase his NIL since staying would probably be best for everyone as long as he can get some compensation. I dont like this new system but it is here. Let's not question Tyrin for exploring all options- the prodigal son will be welcomed back exuberantly and we could have a pretty good squad capable of playing the way CJS likes to play
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

This is a horrible take. Without Lawrence, we have NIT level talent. With him we should make the tournament. Why would you not want to have someone who helps the team make the touranment?
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Jason94 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:10 am
This is a horrible take. Without Lawrence, we have NIT level talent. With him we should make the tournament. Why would you not want to have someone who helps the team make the touranment?
Yah like dude is just tryna negotiate. College is a big bidniz. You know I'm declaring free agency when I'm a free agent after a good year. NIL holdout could be the difference between a fat salary at 20 or another year towards worthless sheet of paper. We should be thankful this dude is pushing the administration to pay up our pro athletes instead of just jumping ship and following the crowd. He's been a model holdout - Leveon Bell could have learned a few things.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

bernstml19 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:39 am
Yah like dude is just tryna negotiate. College is a big bidniz. You know I'm declaring free agency when I'm a free agent after a good year. NIL holdout could be the difference between a fat salary at 20 or another year towards worthless sheet of paper. We should be thankful this dude is pushing the administration to pay up our pro athletes instead of just jumping ship and following the crowd. He's been a model holdout - Leveon Bell could have learned a few things.
I agree that this might have been the wake up call that the admin needed. But with this model we might be in a really good position. We can now grab some of the best student athletes from the low to mid-major levels that want to play at the high major level while also getting a degree from a prestigious university. Not only can we eliminate any recruiting misses very quickly (as most tend to just transfer out), we can replace them immediately with experienced players with a proven track record against D1 competition. The caveat being that now you have to compensate the players according to their market value.

The thing is that this was probably always the case, just it wasn't done openly. And while we probably didn't do it nearly as much as our coaches and administration would generally be against these things. It is completely legit now, and in a sense we are playing on a bit MORE level playing field.

If our administration and staff approach things correctly, we could be about to enter an era where we could see unprecedented levels of success on the court. In the past, back to back seasons of losing Pippen, Robbins, Chatman and Wright would imply that we are in a rebuilding year, especially with only a couple of recruits from the last two classes really developing into guys who look like rotation players. But with Lawrence back I think most would agree that we should be a tournament team. That is a pretty big deal.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

You must not watch any basketball. How can anyone say that.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Ok, but I question the “worthless sheet of paper” reference.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:16 pm

Ok, but I question the “worthless sheet of paper” reference.
Th English classes are worthwhile
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

If Grant Nelson of North Dakota State (6-10 / 2 yrs eligibility / 17.9 ppg / 9.3 rebounds per game / 1.7 blocks per game) wants to become a Commodore, we can just slot Tyrin in as a preferred walk-on and see if Opportunity Vanderbilt can foot the bill.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Vandysmith wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:45 am
Tyrin is extremely proficient at getting to the rim and finishing. Has his own rhythm in that manner like Pippen did. It was kind of unique. Outside of that he is a below average shooter, and passer. He can play some D but not elite in that regard either. Yes, he is a good player, but he isn't THAT good. He's old it took him years to develop and the first season he had that was decent he plays these games.

Had we not struck out on so many recruits he probably wouldn't even be playing for us. Classes before and after him. Shittu, gone. Garland, gone. Naismith, gone. Pippen, gone. Wright, gone. Disu, gone. Jankovic, gone. Odusipe, gone. Stute, gone. Thomas, gone. Dezonie, gone. Dorsey, gone. Daniels, gone. Dia, gone. Shelby, gone.

Lawrence was the luckiest player to wear a VU uniform. The only reason he got playing time was the lack of depth before him, the lack of depth while he was here, and the lack of depth if he came back. Hence why he's not going to get drafted and withdrew but looking for a payday. I say move on and good riddance because if he was that good it wouldn't have taken 3 years for him to put up double digit points per game.
Last edited by Vandy187187 on Wed May 31, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:31 pm
Tyrin is extremely proficient at getting to the rim and finishing. Has his own rhythm in that manner like Pippen did. It was kind of unique. Outside of that he is a below average shooter, and passer. He can play some D but not elite in that regard either. Yes, he is a good player, but he isn't THAT good. He's old it took him years to develop and the first season he had that was decent he plays these games.

Had we not struck out on so many recruits he probably wouldn't even be playing for us. Classes before and after him. Shittu, gone. Garland, gone. Naismith, gone. Pippen, gone. Wright, gone. Disu, gone. Jankovic, gone. Odusipe, gone. Stute, gone. Thomas, gone. Dezonie, gone. Dorsey, gone. Daniels, gone. Dia, gone. Shelby, gone.

Lawrence was the luckiest player to wear a VU uniform. The only reason he got playing time was the lack of depth before him, the lack of depth while he was here, and the lack of depth if he came back. Hence why he's not going to get drafted and withdrew but looking for a payday
Well you're entitled to you opinion of course, but I think you're dead wrong. I don't think he will be an all-SEC player next year (as many on this board have touted). The SEC is too loaded with talent. But if he comes back and plays for the Dores I predict he'll be second team all-SEC, which is PRETTY DAMN GOOD. See Bradfield in baseball.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:45 pm
Vandy187187 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:31 pm

Lawrence was the luckiest player to wear a VU uniform. The only reason he got playing time was the lack of depth before him, the lack of depth while he was here, and the lack of depth if he came back. Hence why he's not going to get drafted and withdrew but looking for a payday
Well you're entitled to you opinion of course, but I think you're dead wrong. I don't think he will be an all-SEC player next year (as many on this board have touted). The SEC is too loaded with talent. But if he comes back and plays for the Dores I predict he'll be second team all-SEC, which is PRETTY DAMN GOOD. See Bradfield in baseball.
Bradfield going in the first round. He's led his team to the real post season. And I don't see him transferring or entering the portal. Apples and oranges. Lawerence wishes he was as good as Bradfield.
Locked Previous topicNext topic