He’s Back!

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Obvious
Captain

Re: He’s Back!

Post by Obvious »

Don’t engage with the troll.

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Obvious wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:57 pm Don’t engage with the troll.
Not trolling. Just speaking facts. The only reason everybody is freaking out is because we lost 10 other players over the years that would have been better had they stayed or we recruited better on our misses. players like tyrin are a dime a dozen 3 years in now with the transfer portal.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:45 pm
Vandy187187 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:31 pm
Vandysmith wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:45 am

You must not watch any basketball. How can anyone say that.
Tyrin is extremely proficient at getting to the rim and finishing. Has his own rhythm in that manner like Pippen did. It was kind of unique. Outside of that he is a below average shooter, and passer. He can play some D but not elite in that regard either. Yes, he is a good player, but he isn't THAT good. He's old it took him years to develop and the first season he had that was decent he plays these games.

Had we not struck out on so many recruits he probably wouldn't even be playing for us. Classes before and after him. Shittu, gone. Garland, gone. Naismith, gone. Pippen, gone. Wright, gone. Disu, gone. Jankovic, gone. Odusipe, gone. Stute, gone. Thomas, gone. Dezonie, gone. Dorsey, gone. Daniels, gone. Dia, gone. Shelby, gone.

Lawrence was the luckiest player to wear a VU uniform. The only reason he got playing time was the lack of depth before him, the lack of depth while he was here, and the lack of depth if he came back. Hence why he's not going to get drafted and withdrew but looking for a payday
Well you're entitled to you opinion of course, but I think you're dead wrong. I don't think he will be an all-SEC player next year (as many on this board have touted). The SEC is too loaded with talent. But if he comes back and plays for the Dores I predict he'll be second team all-SEC, which is PRETTY DAMN GOOD. See Bradfield in baseball.
You see it one way I see him another.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

(if he is indeed returning) lawrence will provide valuable talent and sec experience to the dores. why continue to bash him? i just hope he understands how important a vu degree can be to his and his family's future.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:04 pm
Not trolling. Just speaking facts. The only reason everybody is freaking out is because we lost 10 other players over the years that would have been better had they stayed or we recruited better on our misses. players like tyrin are a dime a dozen 3 years in now with the transfer portal.
I really get the feeling that you hate this team and I'm not sure why you continue to post here.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:48 am
I really get the feeling that you hate this team and I'm not sure why you continue to post here.
Only comments during games if we are losing. Bashes the coaches and players and threatens to beat up other posters on the forum lol. I silenced him a while back and will need to do it again.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

187 is a clown.....always has negative posts against the team & coaches. Just leave and follow another team!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

If you aren't trolling, then you simply aren't an astute observer of Vandy basketball. The last 10 games of the season Tyrin did the following (8 of which were after Robbins went down):

LSU - 19 points, 2 rebounds
UF - 13 points, 7 rebounds
UK - 21 points, 7 rebounds
MSU - 16 points, 4 rebounds
LSU - 22 points, 5 rebounds
UK - 18 points, 4 rebounds
aTm - 18 points, 1 rebound
Yale - 25 points, 7 rebounds
Michigan - 24 points, 9 rebounds
UAB - 8 points, 7 rebounds.

That is 18.4 ppg and 5.3 rpg against SEC or postseason opponents. Anyone who thinks that is "a dime a dozen" and thinks they are "facts" simply doesn't understand the game of basketball. Hence, this is why most assume you are trolling, as it is difficult to believe than anyone on this board can be so earnestly ignorant.

I'd be surprised if Lawrence doesn't average at least 15 ppg next season if he comes back to Vanderbilt. It might be closer to 18 ppg, but 15 is a pretty safe bet. And 15 ppg in the SEC would be around the top 10, while 18 would be in the top 3 this past season.

Lawrence = tournament team. No Lawrence = likely NIT team.
rEvUrB
Captain

Post by rEvUrB »

I get the frustration but I can also understand Lawrence’s perspective.

As someone else stated, this could serve as a wake up call to VU that they need to step up their NIL funding if they want to remain competitive.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

rEvUrB wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:41 am I get the frustration but I can also understand Lawrence’s perspective.

As someone else stated, this could serve as a wake up call to VU that they need to step up their NIL funding if they want to remain competitive.
It's very possible that Lawrence may have done VU a great service in this way. On one hand, teams no longer have to pay players under the table, OTOH, we can legally get into the game as well and be more on par with the blue bloods of the sport. When you get down to it, the money being discussed is minor compared to the money that rolls into VU's endowment.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Trilly Donovan on Twitter hints at some good news indeed:

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:21 am
If you aren't trolling, then you simply aren't an astute observer of Vandy basketball. The last 10 games of the season Tyrin did the following (8 of which were after Robbins went down):

LSU - 19 points, 2 rebounds
UF - 13 points, 7 rebounds
UK - 21 points, 7 rebounds
MSU - 16 points, 4 rebounds
LSU - 22 points, 5 rebounds
UK - 18 points, 4 rebounds
aTm - 18 points, 1 rebound
Yale - 25 points, 7 rebounds
Michigan - 24 points, 9 rebounds
UAB - 8 points, 7 rebounds.

That is 18.4 ppg and 5.3 rpg against SEC or postseason opponents. Anyone who thinks that is "a dime a dozen" and thinks they are "facts" simply doesn't understand the game of basketball. Hence, this is why most assume you are trolling, as it is difficult to believe than anyone on this board can be so earnestly ignorant.

I'd be surprised if Lawrence doesn't average at least 15 ppg next season if he comes back to Vanderbilt. It might be closer to 18 ppg, but 15 is a pretty safe bet. And 15 ppg in the SEC would be around the top 10, while 18 would be in the top 3 this past season.

Lawrence = tournament team. No Lawrence = likely NIT team.
You can call him a troll, just don't call him "Archie Bunker." That really triggers him. LOL!!!! :lol:

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:57 am
rEvUrB wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:41 am I get the frustration but I can also understand Lawrence’s perspective.

It's very possible that Lawrence may have done VU a great service in this way. On one hand, teams no longer have to pay players under the table, OTOH, we can legally get into the game as well and be more on par with the blue bloods of the sport. When you get down to it, the money being discussed is minor compared to the money that rolls into VU's endowment.
The problem is, however, that VU can't fund the NIL.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

commadore wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:07 pm
Jason94 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:57 am

The problem is, however, that VU can't fund the NIL.
No, but the same people who fund VU can fund the NIL. All VU has to do is divert some of the dollars coming into the endowment to the Anchor Impact Fund. It appears that VU received $31 million in contributions in 2021 - a very small sum compared to the over $10 Billion endowment. Get the donors to divert 10% of that money to the AIF and you have a very good start.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

commadore wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:07 pm The problem is, however, that VU can't fund the NIL.
Sure they can. They will just direct donors to the collective. It's a simply conversation, VU rep says VU will focus on facilites spending while donor guys should spend in the collective. Sports Facilities will no longer be treated as a self sufficient area of Vandy spending. And rightfully so, they will be treated as critical branding and marketing. But I understand that you were referring to direct spending.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:31 pm
Vandysmith wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:45 am
Vandy187187 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:21 pm Personally, I hope he goes somewhere else after all this. He's not THAT good.
You must not watch any basketball. How can anyone say that.
Tyrin is extremely proficient at getting to the rim and finishing. Has his own rhythm in that manner like Pippen did. It was kind of unique. Outside of that he is a below average shooter, and passer. He can play some D but not elite in that regard either. Yes, he is a good player, but he isn't THAT good. He's old it took him years to develop and the first season he had that was decent he plays these games.

Had we not struck out on so many recruits he probably wouldn't even be playing for us. Classes before and after him. Shittu, gone. Garland, gone. Naismith, gone. Pippen, gone. Wright, gone. Disu, gone. Jankovic, gone. Odusipe, gone. Stute, gone. Thomas, gone. Dezonie, gone. Dorsey, gone. Daniels, gone. Dia, gone. Shelby, gone.

Lawrence was the luckiest player to wear a VU uniform. The only reason he got playing time was the lack of depth before him, the lack of depth while he was here, and the lack of depth if he came back. Hence why he's not going to get drafted and withdrew but looking for a payday. I say move on and good riddance because if he was that good it wouldn't have taken 3 years for him to put up double digit points per game.
It took him 3 years because the first 2 he was hampered by the ACL injury. He was a starter as a freshman along with Pippen, Disu, Brown and Evans….scored 14 points in his first game and was injured soon thereafter. Stack saw his potential from the beginning, but it can take over a year to completely heal from a torn ACL. Is he going to play in the NBA….probably not…few are that good. To say he’s not very good and was lucky is pure idiocy! He is an excellent college player and the SEC coaches (who must not be very good) have not been able to stop him!!!
Gtwjr
Seaman

Post by Gtwjr »

187187’s anti-Stackhouse agenda is really tiresome.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:24 pm
No, but the same people who fund VU can fund the NIL. All VU has to do is divert some of the dollars coming into the endowment to the Anchor Impact Fund. It appears that VU received $31 million in contributions in 2021 - a very small sum compared to the over $10 Billion endowment. Get the donors to divert 10% of that money to the AIF and you have a very good start.
Is $31 million just the amount donated to athletics in 2021? That figure seems way too low for the entire university. Over $15 million was donated to VU on the most recent giving day alone (in late April). And the university is engaged in a $3.2 billion capital campaign right now, which doesn't include Vandy United.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

buffy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:36 pm
commadore wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:07 pm The problem is, however, that VU can't fund the NIL.
Sure they can. They will just direct donors to the collective. It's a simply conversation, VU rep says VU will focus on facilites spending while donor guys should spend in the collective. Sports Facilities will no longer be treated as a self sufficient area of Vandy spending. And rightfully so, they will be treated as critical branding and marketing. But I understand that you were referring to direct spending.
That is still not VU doing it. That is VU requesting that it be done by a donor, who may be an academic or doctor from NY who cares nothing about sports. Not as easy as it sounds. If you think it is, look at attendance at our three major sports.
Ben713
Seaman Recruit

Post by Ben713 »

Am I the only one who thinks this process was a good thing?

Our (arguably) best player attends a pro camp and visits a number of major programs only to decide that West End is still the best place for him. I don't see any negatives.

In regards to Anchor Impact Fund, I was not overly impressed with the presentation in Houston a few weeks ago. Very little energy. A small part of the challenge but an important one nonetheless.
Locked Previous topicNext topic