Tyrin

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Tyrin

Post by MemorialMagic »

I'm hearing that he may not do any kind of announcement, but that he is definitely coming back.

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Re: Tyrin

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Oh wow. I hope that is right. Surely my favorite beat writer will find out and put something out!
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

MemorialMagic wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:11 am I'm hearing that he may not do any kind of announcement, but that he is definitely coming back.
Without divulging, how reliable is your source? Just curious.
Saminator92
Seaman

Post by Saminator92 »

Am I the only one that feels kind of "used" in this whole process? But, don't miss my overall feeling, which is that we'd be very happy for him to don the Black & Gold again next year....
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Saminator92 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:11 pm Am I the only one that feels kind of "used" in this whole process? But, don't miss my overall feeling, which is that we'd be very happy for him to don the Black & Gold again next year....
I hear ya. However, given the current NIL landscape, I can’t say I blame the kid for handling the situation the way he has and maximizing his payout. It’s the new world.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I don't feel "used" or that he was particularly unfair to Stack or Vandy, but I am not thrilled about our disappointment and anxiety that we had to go through....assuming he does stay at Vandy. It's all a strange process, but having him back is clearly a WIN.
jeff93
Lieutenant

Post by jeff93 »

If true, it's exciting as Manjon and Tyrin would be one of the better backcourts in the country I would think.
doredane
Captain

Post by doredane »

This would be fantastic...if it is true. If we stay healthy, it could be a very good season.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MemorialMagic wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:11 am I'm hearing that he may not do any kind of announcement, but that he is definitely coming back.
Wow ! I really hope you are right; personally this is a triple layer of frosting on the cake for me as to next year's season.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

As I’ve posted previously, I’ll believe it once he steps onto the court in black and gold. Because really, what percent of MBB players who enter the portal come back “home”? If/when he does return I’ll be as happy as the proverbial clam.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I'm optimistic, but Thursday is the drop-dead date for the draft deadline. I expect we'll know for sure then, one way or another. But...maybe not if he elects to withdraw from the draft and stay in the portal.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Saminator92 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:11 pm Am I the only one that feels kind of "used" in this whole process? But, don't miss my overall feeling, which is that we'd be very happy for him to don the Black & Gold again next year....
Meh. I can't blame anyone for trying to do what is best for them. And since the rules currently in effect essentially make every player an unrestricted free agent every year, I can't really blame anyone for shopping around. And if they need to do that to come to the realization that Vandy is, in fact, as awesome as all of us think it is then ... well, at least they made the right call in the end.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

It feels like when a pro athlete does a holdout to try to force the team to give them a better contract. Can’t say I like this aspect of pro sports intruding on college sports, but that’s where we are now.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Starkiller wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:52 pm
It feels like when a pro athlete does a holdout to try to force the team to give them a better contract. Can’t say I like this aspect of pro sports intruding on college sports, but that’s where we are now.
The only thing is ... how much ability does Vandy have to get a better/worse NIL deal for athletes? Like, can the school specifically negotiate with Donor X or Local Business Y on Tyrin's behalf? Or is it apt to be more like, Donor X or Local Business Y offers every player $10,000 for a photo shoot?

I know nothing about this business, but I had gotten the impression it was more like the latter ... in which case Vandy probably has less ability to help, so then a "holdout" doesn't do much.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I think the question should be should we want him back? He's setting a great example for every freshman coming in. Take what the school has provided you, turn 1 of your years into a decent season and then play the NIL wheel of fortune. Maybe you come back maybe you do not, make announcements you aren't gong pro and keep your previous school in a lurch the entire time all along the way entering the portal late to boot. IMO, that's not the leadership we need on the team.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:28 pm I think the question should be should we want him back? He's setting a great example for every freshman coming in. Take what the school has provided you, turn 1 of your years into a decent season and then play the NIL wheel of fortune. Maybe you come back maybe you do not, make announcements you aren't gong pro and keep your previous school in a lurch the entire time all along the way entering the portal late to boot. IMO, that's not the leadership we need on the team.
For all any of us knows, the staff/team have known his intentions all along. Just saying…
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:28 pm I think the question should be should we want him back? He's setting a great example for every freshman coming in. Take what the school has provided you, turn 1 of your years into a decent season and then play the NIL wheel of fortune. Maybe you come back maybe you do not, make announcements you aren't gong pro and keep your previous school in a lurch the entire time all along the way entering the portal late to boot. IMO, that's not the leadership we need on the team.
Interesting question. I'll flip it to baseball. Based on the last couple of years in baseball, I'm starting to think that some guys commit to Vandy strictly to get higher offers from the pros. They know the pros will have to (or at least think they have to) make significantly above-market offers in order to pry them away from Corbin and Vandy. I think we're starting to get "used" a bit on that side of things.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:14 pm
I hear ya. However, given the current NIL landscape, I can’t say I blame the kid for handling the situation the way he has and maximizing his payout. It’s the new world.
He's a young man with a child to support and not a clear future in the pros. This is his most marketable skill. He would be foolish not to explore his opportunities.
Can anyone say, with a straight face, that he would have gotten NIL money from Vanderbilt even in the same order of magnitude if he hadn't gone into the portal?

Re feeling "used" - think of all the college athletes in all the pre-NIL years who brought a talent with demonstrable market value to their organization, in a multi-billion$ industry, and weren't paid any cash at all.
Sure, yes, a college scholarship has value. But the fact that people are willing to pay a legit SEC starter six figures PLUS a college scholarship (whether legally now or illegally in the past) by definition proves that their market value is greater than the value of the scholarship. There are a lot of players out there who have more grounds to feel "used" than we do..
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

MemorialMagic wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:38 am
Interesting question. I'll flip it to baseball. Based on the last couple of years in baseball, I'm starting to think that some guys commit to Vandy strictly to get higher offers from the pros. They know the pros will have to (or at least think they have to) make significantly above-market offers in order to pry them away from Corbin and Vandy. I think we're starting to get "used" a bit on that side of things.
Based on how many HS recruits get drafted seriously above or get paid well above what they should when they get drafted I'd agree with you there. But we get so many top recruits and have a culture of winning that we seem to overcome but not necessarily reload immediately.
Locked Previous topicNext topic