FWIW - Vandysports Podcast

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Jason94
Admiral

FWIW - Vandysports Podcast

Post by Jason94 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iCmFc4I2cU

Around the 41 minute mark or so they get into NIL and Lawrence. Interesting that their perception of the amount of NIL money available is wildly different than what the perception of this board is. Luke Wyatt, a formed VUAD employee notes that he thinks that Lawrence would be back and that money is not the issue, and that we will be getting him somewhere in the 6 figures.

If true this is great news, as I don't really see any obstacles in place for CJS to have as good or better success than we've had historically, especially with the portal in place. If we see Lawrence back, then this could be the start of a very exciting run, even as the roster turns over 50% each season.

For all the teeth gnashing about the portal and NIL, it appears that both developments could be a net positive for VU. We now have the ability to correct any recruiting misses immediately and can avoid rebuilding seasons or seasons where we lack experience.

CJS has shown that he understands this and his work in the portal this year was excellent, getting two 5th year seniors that can shoot and a rising sophomore than has a high ceiling. He also filled positions of need. We didn't completely replace Robbins, but we didn't completely replace Pippen last year. Overall we have a better team even after all the transfers, as most of the transfers were not very efficient players.

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: FWIW - Vandysports Podcast

Post by geeznotagain »

It’s just hard for me, as a long-time Vandy basketball fan, to expect the best. Hopes have been crushed way too many times in one way or another. Plus, isn’t it very unusual for a guy entering the portal to return to the team he “left”?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

And if he is returning, just freaking say so. Not that hard.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Yes...say so either way. Time to get off the crapper! VU is where you need to play and get your degree. That simple!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

My ill-informed assumption is that we won't know for certain until June 1, the date to withdraw from the draft. Even though Lawrence has little chance of being drafted, I'm guessing he's trying to decide between returning to school and playing in the G League (assuming that's an option).
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:22 am I'm guessing he's trying to decide between returning to school and playing in the G League (assuming that's an option).
Or playing in Europe. Maybe China or Australia.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Versus75 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:12 am
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:22 am I'm guessing he's trying to decide between returning to school and playing in the G League (assuming that's an option).
Or playing in Europe. Maybe China or Australia.
Those options that you mention sound, to me, more suited for a single guy than a family man with a small child.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

If you can make OVER $100,000 a year, get a free education at a world class education, and be a star on your team, then you are doing better than 99% of the country. Take it!
Locked Previous topicNext topic