Derrian Ford to Arkansas State

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Derrian Ford to Arkansas State

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Ouch. Didn't see that coming.

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Re: Derrian Ford to Arkansas State

Post by underdog74 »

The twitter crowd is saying this is because you-know-who is coming back and there isn't room on the roster for both.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

underdog74 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:11 pm The twitter crowd is saying this is because you-know-who is coming back and there isn't room on the roster for both.
I hope that is the case. Otherwise he picked Arkansas state over Vanderbilt. No disrespect to them.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

underdog74 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:11 pm The twitter crowd is saying this is because you-know-who is coming back and there isn't room on the roster for both.
I feel that is increasingly likely.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

If this is the case then Ford going to Arkansas State does not bother me in the least. I'm not sure that even if Lawrence doesn't come back that I would be that disappointed. Maybe Ford works out, but I don't see that it is any more likely than any of West, Presley, Rivera-Torres or Roberts. While we've had issues with freshmen staying in the program, I know that not giving a player any PT during his freshman season isn't going to help the situation.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Didn't we have room for Lawrence and Ford? I'm hoping Lawrence comes back and we come up with a more experienced big man, to round out the roster.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

bornadore57 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:51 pm Didn't we have room for Lawrence and Ford? I'm hoping Lawrence comes back and we come up with a more experienced big man, to round out the roster.
Two open roster spots as of right now.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

bornadore57 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:51 pm Didn't we have room for Lawrence and Ford? I'm hoping Lawrence comes back and we come up with a more experienced big man, to round out the roster.
Room on the roster? Sure. Room on the court, not so much.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Maybe Tyrin is coming back, and the last scholly can go to a big. Hope is a good thing.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Am I the only one who doesn't know who Tyrin is?
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

probably slim pickings for a solid transfer portal big who qualifies academically. If Tyrin comes back, i think we are tourney team
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Vandy187187 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:30 pm Am I the only one who doesn't know who Tyrin is?
Yes, you are.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Minoadoc wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:43 pm probably slim pickings for a solid transfer portal big who qualifies academically. If Tyrin comes back, i think we are tourney team
We continued a very good run even when Liam Robbins went down for the season. At one point QMB was our only big while Dort was out with an injury. We will be fine As long as Tyrin returns. And of course, we stay healthy.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Obvious wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:03 pm
Minoadoc wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:43 pm probably slim pickings for a solid transfer portal big who qualifies academically. If Tyrin comes back, i think we are tourney team
We continued a very good run even when Liam Robbins went down for the season. At one point QMB was our only big while Dort was out with an injury. We will be fine As long as Tyrin returns. And of course, we stay healthy.
We did well to win some close games without Robbins against good teams, but we will probably need to be better than the team we were without Robbins to make the tournament. I think defensively we probably will be with us not playing so many minutes with both Manjon and Thomas on the floor, but it didn't seem sustainable over a long period of time. Remember that despite our winning 6 of 8 without Robbins, we got demolished on the boards in most of those games, with the average margin being +1.6 points. I'd like to see us add a little experienced depth in the post even if Lawrence is back - Right now we only have Lubin, Dort, Lang and Smith to play the 4 and 5 spots. None of those players played starter's minutes, and at the moment we would be asking Smith and Lubin to play a bit out of position. Any injury would put us into a pretty dire situation from a depth standpoint.

I like the talent in the post, but the past two seasons have definitely taught us that we cannot have too much depth in the post.
Locked Previous topicNext topic