Miami, N.C. State, Virginia Tech, UNC

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Miami, N.C. State, Virginia Tech, UNC

Post by MrMemorial »

The ACC is having controversy behind closed doors.

https://pge.post-gazette.com/.pf/showst ... 05170083/3

If Maryland went to the BigTen, I could see Virginia ending up there.

Georgia would have a crap-attack over Clemson, so I don't think that will happen. Florida and FSU? Same.

That would leave Miami, UNC, NC State, VaTech... if the SEC wants a super-mega-sized league and all?

If Virginia joined the BigTen, should Vandy revisit the idea? The BigTen pays big money...just like the SEC.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Miami, N.C. State, Virginia Tech, UNC

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:34 am The ACC is having controversy behind closed doors.

https://pge.post-gazette.com/.pf/showst ... 05170083/3

If Maryland went to the BigTen, I could see Virginia ending up there.

Georgia would have a crap-attack over Clemson, so I don't think that will happen. Florida and FSU? Same.

That would leave Miami, UNC, NC State, VaTech... if the SEC wants a super-mega-sized league and all?

If Virginia joined the BigTen, should Vandy revisit the idea? The BigTen pays big money...just like the SEC.
Not just NO, but HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Agree with you, commodore. Changing conferences has been kicked around ad nauseum. Time to put it to rest. We’re sec and we’re going to stay sec.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Vandy not changing....tired of the talk otherwise!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Lots of that talk started when some guy...some Don somebody or another... wrote this....

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 104710566/
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I didn't mind talks of the Big 10 before they added the west coast schools. That just seems like a logistical nightmare. I have a fond affinity for history and tradition of college sport rivalries, but change is always inevitable. I just prefer change that makes good sense.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

vandy05 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:25 am I didn't mind talks of the Big 10 before they added the west coast schools. That just seems like a logistical nightmare. I have a fond affinity for history and tradition of college sport rivalries, but change is always inevitable. I just prefer change that makes good sense.
In the hypothetical of Virginia and Vandy to the Big Ten, would they not be in a "BigTen-East" without UCLA and USC?

I notice there was no issue in traveling to Hawaii for an away game.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:27 pmI notice there was no issue in traveling to Hawaii for an away game.
One team, one time is one thing. Every sport every (or every other) year is totally another. The top football schools missed the boat of taking ONLY their football teams out of the NCAA. Top 64 teams would be a de facto playoff every year. But it's too late, baby, now...
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

The so-called "gentleman's alliance" of Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina to band together to keep any of their in-state rivals from coming into the conference is probably virtually toothless now. The money that is being thrown around, and the other factors like NIL, expansion of the playoff system, et al., have pushed tradition to a back seat.

Even the rivalries themselves are possible casualties to expansion and scheduling changes by the SEC. My bigger concern about conference expansion is based on geography, and therefore having more than one school from the same state in the league has never been a problem to me. I understand the concerns some schools have for the recruiting aspect of competing with an in-state rival and not being able to play the "SEC school" card, but the state schools of Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi have managed to survive. Having said that, it would pain me to see Georgia Tech re-admitted to the SEC, but that's a personal issue. (I'd also be the first to sign a petition to boot awbarn out, but again that's just personal)

As a fan, and native of the Southeastern US, I would much rather have some members of the ACC in the SEC than the latest additions (Texas A&M, Missouri, Texas, and Oklahoma). Nothing against those schools or fans necessarily, but I'd rather they were replaced by Clemson, FSU, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina for example. Or maybe Miami, Virginia, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest...an argument could be made for several.

At the end of the day, SEC expansion is probably not over and will likely go on until it renders the league unrecognizable to anyone who was an adult fan at the time of the 1991 expansion. I'm not sure how long it will take, or if I'll be around to see it, but I expect a time when a national governing body for college football takes control over "conference" divisions much in the fashion of the NFL. By then, even the universities may be cut out of the decision-making process.
Locked Previous topicNext topic