Ven-Allen Lubin is a Commodore

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Ven-Allen Lubin is a Commodore

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Much-needed news:

Bird75
Ensign

Re: Ven-Allen Lubin is a Commodore

Post by Bird75 »

Great news.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Whew and yay!
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

what's his size?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

docdore wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:29 pm what's his size?
6'8", 220
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

The roster is coming together. Just a piece or two away from being a tourney team?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Well done!
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:15 am Much-needed news:
Awesome news - without knowing the abilities of all 117 players ranked ahead of him in the transfer portal ratings, I'd say that long term he could be one of the best pick ups from this season.

Highlights from last season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar5MPF9B8jY

The rate stats are very nice, and his athleticism is obvious. If he can develop a jump-shot a lot of things will open up for him. I don't think we should be done, but this is a pickup on par with Taylor - someone who should be penciled into the starting lineup somewhere. If Dort looks really good, play him at the PF and slide Smith to SF. If one of the freshmen wings looks ready then you can play him at center and Smith at the PF.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I can live the 68% 2-point shooting percentage.

Willie Hutch Jones II ?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Jason94 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:55 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:15 am Much-needed news:
Awesome news - without knowing the abilities of all 117 players ranked ahead of him in the transfer portal ratings, I'd say that long term he could be one of the best pick ups from this season.

Highlights from last season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar5MPF9B8jY

The rate stats are very nice, and his athleticism is obvious. If he can develop a jump-shot a lot of things will open up for him. I don't think we should be done, but this is a pickup on par with Taylor - someone who should be penciled into the starting lineup somewhere. If Dort looks really good, play him at the PF and slide Smith to SF. If one of the freshmen wings looks ready then you can play him at center and Smith at the PF.
Looks like a pretty good player. Has ACC experience and got quality playing time as a freshman. Excited to see him this fall.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

I like this pickup a lot. But still concerned that 8 or 9 of the 13 players on this roster will be freshmen or sophomores. That will be tough…
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Great pickup. 2 more to go.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

The highlights are certainly encouraging. Good athleticism, good vision, good hands. Good finisher at the rim.

6'8" will be a disadvantage if he has to play center - but if we can land a big, he will be a major plus at the 4. And he looks like he can play 5 if necessary. A very nice pick-up. The highlights show a lot of skills.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

utahozzie wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:45 pm I like this pickup a lot. But still concerned that 8 or 9 of the 13 players on this roster will be freshmen or sophomores. That will be tough…
Doesn't bother me at all ... as long as we can get most of them to stick around to be sophomores or juniors the next year...
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

underdog74 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:50 pm The roster is coming together. Just a piece or two away from being a tourney team?
Definitely need a true center to back up Dort.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

mathguy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:54 pm
utahozzie wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:45 pm I like this pickup a lot. But still concerned that 8 or 9 of the 13 players on this roster will be freshmen or sophomores. That will be tough…
Doesn't bother me at all ... as long as we can get most of them to stick around to be sophomores or juniors the next year...
I feel pretty good about the sophomores, but I'd be surprised if we don't lose at least two of the freshmen. At the moment our rotation is almost certain to have the following:

Manjon, Lewis, Taylor, Smith, Lubin and Dort. If we don't add anyone else or Lawrence doesn't return, then I would imagine that at least two of the freshmen would be out of a 9 man rotation that would be around the maximum that we seem to run as we get into conference play. It also seems unlikely that we are done with the portal, and that we could use either another big man or a wing who has a track record of production against D1 opponents.

Given that we lost a number of players who were a part of the rotation and even started a ton of games, it seems very unlikely that most of our freshmen will make it to junior season. I'd like to be wrong, but that is the way things seem to be now days. Outside of not getting to see players develop (like Lance Goulbourne or James Siakam) the players likely to transfer will include guys who won't show much as a freshman. So they won't represent a huge loss of production.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

volemtine wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:35 pm
underdog74 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:50 pm The roster is coming together. Just a piece or two away from being a tourney team?
They have a freshman center coming in.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

One more legit pickup (including Lawrence returning) and we have enough talent to make the tournament. If Lawrence returns we should be a tournament team for sure. That would give us three legit double digit scorers in Lawrence, Taylor and Manjon with two really talented young post players in Smith and Lubin. We would be a bit small up front but experienced in the backcourt and have a good amount of talented reserves.

Alternately getting a decent post player would likely have us move Smith and Lubin up a position, and give us a starting lineup of Manjon, Taylor, Smith, Lubin and Dort/transfer center. That would push more of the scoring responsibility on Smith and Lubin depending upon how good the transfer is or how well Dort develops. I'd say it would depend upon how good a player we can get, but it is very easy to see a scenario where we could make the tournament with another post addition.

I'd say if for some reason Lawrence decides to return that we are in a really great position to make the tournament and if not we still have some potential to do so if we can add another quality big man.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Jason94 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:35 pm
One more legit pickup (including Lawrence returning) and we have enough talent to make the tournament. If Lawrence returns we should be a tournament team for sure. That would give us three legit double digit scorers in Lawrence, Taylor and Manjon with two really talented young post players in Smith and Lubin. We would be a bit small up front but experienced in the backcourt and have a good amount of talented reserves.

Alternately getting a decent post player would likely have us move Smith and Lubin up a position, and give us a starting lineup of Manjon, Taylor, Smith, Lubin and Dort/transfer center. That would push more of the scoring responsibility on Smith and Lubin depending upon how good the transfer is or how well Dort develops. I'd say it would depend upon how good a player we can get, but it is very easy to see a scenario where we could make the tournament with another post addition.

I'd say if for some reason Lawrence decides to return that we are in a really great position to make the tournament and if not we still have some potential to do so if we can add another quality big man.
Twitter rumors of Lawrence making his decision soon which coincidentally followed the Lublin transfer has me optimistic. We kept our three best freshmen from last season. Added a skilled big and a dangerous 3 pt shooter in the portal. If we keep Ezra and Tyrin in the same backcourt I believe we’re a tournament team.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

This is an important piece for the next few years!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic