A Few Key Dates

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

A Few Key Dates

Post by MikeADore »

There's a while to go before the season starts, but in about three weeks the freshmen will show up on campus, and the team will begin off-season preparations. That always gets me a bit more focused on the upcoming season, but even more so this year when we have some actual practice days in August in preparation for a trip to Italy, which includes three games. A few key off-season dates:

First week of June—Freshmen arrive on campus.
First week of July—SEC opponents released. Who will be our home and away opponents? One of those will be UT, the other two unknown. Last year is was UT, LSU, Arkansas.
First week of July—Holiday tourney location announced (maybe). Last July it was announced we would play in Cancun. I wonder if we’ll still play in a holiday tourney after making the Italy trip in August. Probably will.
July 7-10—Evaluation period. Coaches can watch players perform but can’t have face-to-face contact. Four of our five incoming freshmen got offers after this evaluation period last year. Poland’s Agata Makurat is the exception.
July 21-24—Final evaluation period.
Mid August—SEC schedule is released. Dates and locations included.
Mid August—Vandy gets 10 practice days in preparation for a trip to Italy.
Last week of August—Team goes to Italy for a 12-day trip that will include three games. The competition should be very good. (don’t know exact date. Just late August).
Final week of September—First day of practice (last year it was the 26th)
Mid October--SEC Media Days for women's basketball. Last year it was October 18.
First week of November—Season starts.
Second week of November—Early signing period starts (last year it was the 9th).

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: A Few Key Dates

Post by MikeADore »

It appears I'm wrong about the timing of the Italy trip. According to an article on The Next website, Vandy travels to Italy Aug. 5-16. I thought I heard coach Ralph say it was at the end of August during an interview on her coach's show a few weeks months back. The Next article is about the increased number of college teams that are traveling this summer coming out of the pandemic.

https://www.thenexthoops.com/ncaaw/wome ... 2023-ncaa/
geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: A Few Key Dates

Post by geeznotagain »

MikeADore wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:42 pm There's a while to go before the season starts, but in about three weeks the freshmen will show up on campus, and the team will begin off-season preparations. That always gets me a bit more focused on the upcoming season, but even more so this year when we have some actual practice days in August in preparation for a trip to Italy, which includes three games. A few key off-season dates:

First week of June—Freshmen arrive on campus.
First week of July—SEC opponents released. Who will be our home and away opponents? One of those will be UT, the other two unknown. Last year is was UT, LSU, Arkansas.
First week of July—Holiday tourney location announced (maybe). Last July it was announced we would play in Cancun. I wonder if we’ll still play in a holiday tourney after making the Italy trip in August. Probably will.
July 7-10—Evaluation period. Coaches can watch players perform but can’t have face-to-face contact. Four of our five incoming freshmen got offers after this evaluation period last year. Poland’s Agata Makurat is the exception.
July 21-24—Final evaluation period.
Mid August—SEC schedule is released. Dates and locations included.
Mid August—Vandy gets 10 practice days in preparation for a trip to Italy.
Last week of August—Team goes to Italy for a 12-day trip that will include three games. The competition should be very good. (don’t know exact date. Just late August).
Final week of September—First day of practice (last year it was the 26th)
Mid October--SEC Media Days for women's basketball. Last year it was October 18.
First week of November—Season starts.
Second week of November—Early signing period starts (last year it was the 9th).
You left out one important date:

December 1 - Agata finally arrives on campus.
Locked Previous topicNext topic