Some version of the NIL existed at VU.... in 1901

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Some version of the NIL existed at VU.... in 1901

Post by historybill »

In 1901 there was a clothing store in Nashville which gave free suits to Vanderbilt football star John Edgerton in exchange for the right to use his name.

The clothier ran ads in the Hustler and I think in Nashville newspapers that said "John E. Edgerton will be glad to see his friends at Varley, Bauman and Bowers: One Price Clothiers, Hatters, Furnishers and Merchant Tailors."

Over the years, Vanderbilt has swiped many discoveries from my book into official, VU-endorsed, committee approved, "history articles," but they've never touched this one.

I don't know if this will make anyone feel any better, but just know that 120 years ago, it wasn't unusual for college athletes to pocket money and thus take advantage of their fame.

Obvious
Captain

Re: Some version of the NIL existed at VU.... in 1901

Post by Obvious »

historybill wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:28 am In 1901 there was a clothing store in Nashville which gave free suits to Vanderbilt football star John Edgerton in exchange for the right to use his name.

The clothier ran ads in the Hustler and I think in Nashville newspapers that said "John E. Edgerton will be glad to see his friends at Varley, Bauman and Bowers: One Price Clothiers, Hatters, Furnishers and Merchant Tailors."

Over the years, Vanderbilt has swiped many discoveries from my book into official, VU-endorsed, committee approved, "history articles," but they've never touched this one.

I don't know if this will make anyone feel any better, but just know that 120 years ago, it wasn't unusual for college athletes to pocket money and thus take advantage of their fame.
What is your book?
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Some version of the NIL existed at VU.... in 1901

Post by Go Vandy! »

historybill wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:28 am... Varley, Bauman and Bowers: One Price Clothiers, Hatters, Furnishers and Merchant Tailors."
So now we know who to blame.
Locked Previous topicNext topic