IMPACT ON RECRUITING?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Seadog73
Admiral

IMPACT ON RECRUITING?

Post by Seadog73 »

The last few weeks have been wonderful for VU Men's hoops. I "think" I remember that there is no room left in the incoming (2023) class. Assuming my memory is correct, how much of an impact will the success and corresponding honors impact recruiting fir the 2024 class? Any noise out there?

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: IMPACT ON RECRUITING?

Post by charlestonalum »

And impact of coach of year and Liam first team SEC - SHOULD give us recruiting momentum next year.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Not sure how it will impact recruiting. Next year's class is full and also needs one current player to leave to stay at the 13 roster limit. So, a whole year's performance will be viewed by possible recruits or I take it back maybe not a whole year but at least the non-conference part. Other teams reload every year dipping into the portal spoils. It has helped us some, but you have to have room to take on transfers.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

We are (presumably) recruiting guys other than HS Seniors who will take note.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

seriously...gotta be a huge help. Vandy's four major sports have coaches I'd be thrilled to have my kids play for (if only they were big D-1 athletes)
Coach Stack's rapport with his players and the strides many have made are a great base to build on.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:10 pm Not sure how it will impact recruiting. Next year's class is full and also needs one current player to leave to stay at the 13 roster limit. So, a whole year's performance will be viewed by possible recruits or I take it back maybe not a whole year but at least the non-conference part. Other teams reload every year dipping into the portal spoils. It has helped us some, but you have to have room to take on transfers.
Do redshirts count against the 13 limit ?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

OldDude wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:10 pm
Nashmann wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:10 pm Not sure how it will impact recruiting. Next year's class is full and also needs one current player to leave to stay at the 13 roster limit. So, a whole year's performance will be viewed by possible recruits or I take it back maybe not a whole year but at least the non-conference part. Other teams reload every year dipping into the portal spoils. It has helped us some, but you have to have room to take on transfers.
Any player who is on scholarship would count - redshirt or not. I would think that Redshirting is something that will become more and more uncommon as time goes on.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:21 pm
Any player who is on scholarship would count - redshirt or not. I would think that Redshirting is something that will become more and more uncommon as time goes on.
Thanks for the answer. Bored today so just to play with the new sports world. Walkons don't count and NIL money doesn't come from university (correct ?) so could one of these collectives pick up a walkons bill and keep him aboard ? Also does a walkon year count as eligibility ? Okay, so I have a slightly criminal mind and am trying to find a loophole as to Liam.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

OldDude wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:30 pm
Jason94 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:21 pm

Thanks for the answer. Bored today so just to play with the new sports world. Walkons don't count and NIL money doesn't come from university (correct ?) so could one of these collectives pick up a walkons bill and keep him aboard ? Also does a walkon year count as eligibility ? Okay, so I have a slightly criminal mind and am trying to find a loophole as to Liam.
we could create a new identity for Liam of another individual who has not yet run out of eligibility. We'll call this alias "Josh Henderson".
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Looks like Stack never takes a minute off. He was in attendance for highly sought after guard, Travis Perry, last night. Perry is a top 100 player in the class of 2024.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Obvious wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:50 am

Looks like Stack never takes a minute off. He was in attendance for highly sought after guard, Travis Perry, last night. Perry is a top 100 player in the class of 2024.
remember the criticism he didn't care about and was lazy in recruiting?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:35 am

remember the criticism he didn't care about and was lazy in recruiting?
Strange criticism considering he ran an AAU program and was very familiar with how college recruiting worked.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Like it.....If I had a name like Jerry Stackhouse I would own recruiting!
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Like it.....If I had a name like Jerry Stackhouse I would own recruiting!
vandybl
Commander

Post by vandybl »

Vandy has been recruiting Travis Perry pretty hard. Travis, a prolific scorer, and his family attended the January 24 Kentucky game at Memorial Gym (a VU loss). They sat right in front of us and several VU coaches came by to say hello to Travis. I think the game that Coach Stack saw was the Lyon County vs Hopkinsville game last night that propelled Lyon County to the Kentucky Sweet 16. Travis led Lyon County with 33 points. Go Vandy.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

By birthright I believe all good high school players from far western Kentucky have to attend Vanderbilt.
Locked Previous topicNext topic