I didn't miss that one!

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Jason94
Admiral

I didn't miss that one!

Post by Jason94 »

What an amazing gutty performance by Vandy! First win against UK in 7 years and first win at Rupp in 16 years - and all of this with Robbins only playing about 5 or 6 minutes (which is the only but possibly very large damper on this win).

My first every Vandy game was in 1990 when Steve Grant hit a buzzer beating three pointer to beat UGA - while not the same level of drama - it was very auspicious when QMB hit a three at the buzzer to end the first half - much like Grant, it was the first three pointer by QMB and it was absolutely huge from a momentum standpoint going into the half. But beyond that he played like he did last year with a ton of toughness while hitting his shots - perfect from the floor and the line

Jordan Wright was everything that we were hoping for this year but hadn't seen enough of on a consistent basis. He worked inside and out and about every shot he made was in a clutch situation. Tremendous poise for what has been an up and down season. Lawrence also gets a huge amount of credit for the amount of work he does finding his shots by constantly stress testing the defense with his jab moves at the basket until the explosion where he exploits openings in the defense for acrobatic shots. Between the trio of Wright, Lawrence and QMB - they scored 54 of the 68 points.

That was without a doubt the best overall defensive effort of the season. Which was needed due to a relatively poor offensive output overall from us, the 18 offensive rebounds given up, and the expected foul disparity (especially once Robbins went down) that had us outshot from the line 35 to 13. But we held UK to 19 of 59 from the floor and 3 of 19 from three. Really great numbers defensively against the 2nd ranked offense in conference.

This was also accomplished despite Stute and Thomas both scoring zero points on 0 for 12 from the field and 0 for 8 from three. Stute was off, but Thomas took several ill-advised three where he wasn't close to being squared up and was either falling away or to the side. Manjon also had a rough game as UK's size really gave him troubles as they did with Thomas. Honestly the matchup was not great from our standpoint but the tradeoff was that they were missing Wheeler who has been difficult for us to guard.

As for where it leaves us, that was obviously a huge win as it gives us a Quad 1 win against a team on the road, and those are gold as far as the selection committee is concerned. But of more concern is what the status of Robbins is. Wright winning the game in regulation was critical due to foul trouble and the fact that momentum was with UK at the end of the game to that point. We will need Robbins to be able to close out the season and have a strong SEC-T.

Anyway - GREAT win and way to flip the script and show that the team is capable of playing solid defense. That has largely been absent this season and it was good to see it show up at a critical moment.

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: I didn't miss that one!

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Sadly, Stack said in the post-game radio show that Robbins’ lower leg injury will probably mean he is done for the season.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I agree that a lot of trey’s shots just weren’t good looks. Most of them he was drifting away. Stute is still finding ways to have an impact despite not hitting anything. He showed a lot of toughness and played solid defense. I mean really, Trey and stute don’t hit a single shot from the field. Liam doesn’t play. The free throw disadvantage. I really need to see this game again to see how we won.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Great game to watch. Isn't it one of the most improbable wins in Vandy basketball history? On the road against a taller team. It seems that KY is loaded with 4 and 5 star players. We have maybe 1 or 2 four star players. The rest of our team consists of 3 star players.

Several times the announcers talked about how we pushed their big man out of the way. At times he pushed our players away, only not to be called. Still, great win.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

LawoftheWest wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:09 pm Great game to watch. Isn't it one of the most improbable wins in Vandy basketball history? On the road against a taller team. It seems that KY is loaded with 4 and 5 star players. We have maybe 1 or 2 four star players. The rest of our team consists of 3 star players.

Several times the announcers talked about how we pushed their big man out of the way. At times he pushed our players away, only not to be called. Still, great win.
I believe our only 4 star players didn’t even see the floor tonight. Shelby and Dort are the only ones I believe.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

LawoftheWest wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:09 pm Great game to watch. Isn't it one of the most improbable wins in Vandy basketball history? On the road against a taller team. It seems that KY is loaded with 4 and 5 star players. We have maybe 1 or 2 four star players. The rest of our team consists of 3 star players.

Certainly from the standpoint that if you told me that Robbins would get injured very early and both Stute and Thomas would not score a single point and combine for 0-12 from the field I would have figured that we would lose by double digits. But we got season best efforts from Wrigth, QMB and Lawrence. You could argue that Lawrence was better against UT, but this game was on the road and he had to shoulder a much larger offensive load with Robbins out.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

• We won depite the raucos crowd.
    We won despite Liam getting hurt early.
    We won despite the refs giving UK 22 more FTs.
    Won even though they are bigger and more athletic.
    It was UK senior night! Sweeeet.
Credit CJS for once again having a great plan. Credit guys for stepping up when they needed to it. Tonight in particular Wright, Lawrence, and QMB. But shout outs to Manjon & Stute also. Stute had an impossible job guarding the larger more athletic Tshiebwe, and he gave it his all. Manjon played smartly when he was in the game. We outshot them and our 3pt shooting enabled the W. Need to minimize the crappy, off balance or rushed shots. When we play inside out and penetrate and move the ball we do well. Also credit a tenacious D for holding them to low shooting %. Sometimes teams are not hot and UK wasn't but we had something to do with it. We challenged them on the perimeter. Wright is our 3rd guy to hit the late game winner this season. Wow. Hope CJS can keep doing some of that good "coaching stuff" and our guys can pull out a few more wins. Tonight our guys never stopped playing and believing. They'll need this mentality without Liam. Horrible luck. I feel bad for him and the team.

We'll be above .500 in conference and overall record this year and that is a good thing and we should get NIT at at least. Praying for the miracle and NCAA.
Last edited by EagleDore on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:48 pm Lawrence also gets a huge amount of credit for the amount of work he does finding his shots by constantly stress testing the defense with his jab moves at the basket until the explosion where he exploits openings in the defense for acrobatic shots.
Good description. A nice banking term.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Forgive me for jumping ahead but this game gave me great confidence for next season.
Locked Previous topicNext topic