ESPN ANALYTICS MATCHUP PREDICTOR

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

ESPN ANALYTICS MATCHUP PREDICTOR

Post by Versus75 »

Doesn't anyone in Bristol look at the numbers and say, "This ain't right?"

As of Saturday night, presumably before the results of the day were calculated, Vanderbilt was listed as an underdog by this computer program in all four of the remaining regular season games.

The numbers moved only so very slightly toward the 'Dores AFTER we beat Auburn, LSU lost at home to the second or third worst team in the SEC, and Florida took a big loss without its top player.

Now, I'm not gonna predict that we will win all four games but WE SHOULD BE FAVORITES AT LSU and HOME VERSUS FLORIDA. I could add the home game against Mississippi State to that list.

ESPN MATCHUP PREDICTOR .... Sat pm ......... Sun am

Wed. Feb. 22 @ LSU .. LSU .. 55.8% ... LSU .. 52.2%
Sat. Feb. 25 v FLA .. FLA .. 57.3% ... FLA .. 53.9%
Wed. Mar. 01 @ KY ... KY ... 90.3% ... KY ... 91.1%
Sat. Mar. 04 v MSU .. MSU .. 57.0% ... MSU .. 56.5%

PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Re: ESPN ANALYTICS MATCHUP PREDICTOR

Post by PeteFox »

These analytics are totally worthless. I wonder what they said about the the 5 games in the latest streak.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

Vandy only had a 30.3% chance to beat Auburn, so maybe let everyone keep underestimating poor old Vandy. Wink wink
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Lynchsr wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:35 am Vandy only had a 30.3% chance to beat Auburn, so maybe let everyone keep underestimating poor old Vandy. Wink wink
I guarantee not a single SEC coach is underestimating VU at this point.
FrontDore
Ensign

Post by FrontDore »

LSU has lost 14 in a row. How can they be favored over anyone?
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

"LSU has lost 14 in a row. How can they be favored over anyone?"

Well because nobody loses 14 in a row except Vandy, so LSU is favored to beat Vandy - according to the time warp dance I suppose.
SteveE79
Seaman

Post by SteveE79 »

FrontDore wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:54 pm LSU has lost 14 in a row. How can they be favored over anyone?
The Law of Averages?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

SteveE79 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:26 pm
FrontDore wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:54 pm LSU has lost 14 in a row. How can they be favored over anyone?
The Law of Averages?
Odds start over every game. Just because a team is bound to win eventually doesn’t mean they should be favored that way.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I am glad we are underdogs!!! We seem to play better!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I would think a Vandy -4 @ LSU sounds about right. Honestly, though I'm not willing to put money on any Vandy game as you just never know. I pray Robbins can stay on the floor, Manjon can continue to push and dish, Lawrence confidence continues to grow and Stute's 3's start to fall. If that happens, this season could be extended for a while.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Doesn't anyone in Bristol look at the numbers and say, "This ain't right?"

As of Saturday night, presumably before the results of the day were calculated, Vanderbilt was listed as an underdog by this computer program in all four of the remaining regular season games.

The numbers moved only so very slightly toward the 'Dores AFTER we beat Auburn, LSU lost at home to the second or third worst team in the SEC, and Florida took a big loss without its top player.

Now, I'm not gonna predict that we will win all four games but WE SHOULD BE FAVORITES AT LSU and HOME VERSUS FLORIDA. I could add the home game against Mississippi State to that list.

These predictions use advanced metrics to figure out the numbers as nobody can actually watch every single game to compare all of the teams. Those metrics generally don't weigh how a team is playing at the moment but uses the entire season, and while we started 7-6, LSU started 12-1, so despite their loss streak their record is only 3 games worse than ours is. Additionally they are getting "credit" for playing the toughest schedule in conference. For us, prior to the last 5 games we were not really a consideration for either the NIT or NCAA tournament based on how we had played. And while the last 5 games have been fantastic, from a numbers perspective, we've won 3 games by a single possession, all at home. This is where the luck factor comes into play.

For an observer who has watched us play the last few weeks it would seem that we should be an obvious favorite, but efficiency metrics would say that we are "lucky", and we are playing a team on the road, which confers a slight point advantage to the home team. Kenpom has us as a 2 point favorite FWIW, but I don't think anyone will show us as a huge favorite.

What would probably help us a lot would be a 15 point win tomorrow, basically have the team step on the gas and run them out of the gym.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Jason94 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:04 pm
Versus75 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Doesn't anyone in Bristol look at the numbers and say, "This ain't right?"

These predictions use advanced metrics to figure out the numbers as nobody can actually watch every single game to compare all of the teams. Those metrics generally don't weigh how a team is playing at the moment but uses the entire season, and while we started 7-6, LSU started 12-1, so despite their loss streak their record is only 3 games worse than ours is. Additionally they are getting "credit" for playing the toughest schedule in conference. For us, prior to the last 5 games we were not really a consideration for either the NIT or NCAA tournament based on how we had played. And while the last 5 games have been fantastic, from a numbers perspective, we've won 3 games by a single possession, all at home. This is where the luck factor comes into play.

For an observer who has watched us play the last few weeks it would seem that we should be an obvious favorite, but efficiency metrics would say that we are "lucky", and we are playing a team on the road, which confers a slight point advantage to the home team. Kenpom has us as a 2 point favorite FWIW, but I don't think anyone will show us as a huge favorite.

What would probably help us a lot would be a 15 point win tomorrow, basically have the team step on the gas and run them out of the gym.
Which is practically what SC did to them. If they could, we can.
Locked Previous topicNext topic