Bruce Pearl postgame comments

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Bruce Pearl postgame comments

Post by admin »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Bruce Pearl postgame comments

Post by Nashmann »

What a crybaby!!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nashmann wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:41 am What a crybaby!!!
Exactly what I was about to write...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Pearl was not very happy about the free-throw discrepancy (Auburn 5-10; Vandy 20-27). Twenty of our 27 free throws were from Liam. Auburn's Broome and Williams shot, between them, 16 of 27 from the floor, including two three-pointers. We had a difficult time defending both, but their shots seemed to be shots which were not of a driving-to-the-basket type shots. Liam seemed to be more about going-to-the-basket, hence the discrepancy in fouling. I thought the game was called fairly well. Liam did draw 11 fouls, compared to a combined two for Broome and Williams.

In my mind, Pearl ought to be questioning why he didn't go to Broome and Williams more often. We didn't seem to have much of an answer for either one.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

Exactly. They didn't go to the line as often, because they weren't getting fouled when scoring in the paint. Keeping Liam out of foul trouble is essential, so he has to let those guys score when they get the ball down low. That explains BOTH of those statistics.

bornadore57 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:56 am Pearl was not very happy about the free-throw discrepancy (Auburn 5-10; Vandy 20-27). Twenty of our 27 free throws were from Liam. Auburn's Broome and Williams shot, between them, 16 of 27 from the floor, including two three-pointers. We had a difficult time defending both, but their shots seemed to be shots which were not of a driving-to-the-basket type shots. Liam seemed to be more about going-to-the-basket, hence the discrepancy in fouling. I thought the game was called fairly well. Liam did draw 11 fouls, compared to a combined two for Broome and Williams.

In my mind, Pearl ought to be questioning why he didn't go to Broome and Williams more often. We didn't seem to have much of an answer for either one.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Rich to cry about it when clearly a huge part of their gameplay was to get physical with Robbins. They just got called on it.
SteveE79
Seaman

Post by SteveE79 »

Hey, Pearl, it's Robbins, not Roberts.

And if you don't like the foul difference, then coach your players not to foul. Duh.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Love the “no explanation” comment.
The explanation is that Liam played smarter and backed off in the paint when he knew he was beaten to the basket rather than hacking guys on the arms and elbows while they were in the act of shooting.
Also love the commentary about insult to injury at the end. If anything the refs extended the game to give you a chance to win on a total head scratcher call that shouldn’t have occurred anyway.
Keep whining, Brucie.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I will say I love Pearl's passion and thought it was cool when he and Wright slapped hands as Wright walked past him getting ready to inbound the ball. We shall see if these two teams get to meet again in the SEC-T. No issues with Pearl other than the whole cheating thing. :D
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:23 pm Love the “no explanation” comment.
The explanation is that Liam played smarter and backed off in the paint when he knew he was beaten to the basket rather than hacking guys on the arms and elbows while they were in the act of shooting.
Also love the commentary about insult to injury at the end. If anything the refs extended the game to give you a chance to win on a total head scratcher call that shouldn’t have occurred anyway.
Keep whining, Brucie.
he co-authored that book with calipari and mussellman.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I’m not a fan of Pearl, by any stretch, but I didn’t think he was whining. Anytime a game has such a discrepancy in the number of foul shots, there’s going to be a lot of shaking of the head. I thought he was fairly composed in the pressor, but you could certainly see the frustration. Everyone needs to think about the number of games where we lost under the same circumstances (and there has been plenty)…our forum has always been lit up in those situations. As I stated, I’m not a fan of Pearl (especially don’t like his sideline demeanor), but if the outcome and stats had been reversed, everyone would be up in arms!
Souldore
Rear Admiral

Post by Souldore »

I’ve met Bruce twice. Both times he was incredibly nice and real. I was floored by how much I liked him. :)
Locked Previous topicNext topic