Great Game!!!

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Great Game!!!

Post by Nashmann »

What a nail-biter! I thought for sure the refs were gonna screw us with that late call! kudos to the team and coaches! Memorial Magic is back!!

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VandyDores15
Ensign

Re: Great Game!!!

Post by VandyDores15 »

I thought it was odd Jordan Wright played so little in 2H, thought he was injured until he came back in for last few possessions. But also, you have to love the experience Colin Smith is getting. I’m very impressed by the way Colin plays defense.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Yes,
What an exciting game, back and forth. Great win.

However, the refs' behavior during last less than a second seemed bizarre. It appeared that the refs wanted to show who was really the star of the show, the winner. Themselves. Manjon's drive to the basket and to score with 0.8 left was fantastic. Then, Wright intercepted the inbound pass by Auburn and threw the ball in the air. Oh, then the zebras spent maybe 5 minutes looking at the computer screen. Finally, nope, game not over. The Zs said Wright was fouled with, I think, 0.3 seconds left. What foul did they see?

So, call all of the players back and put 0.3 on the clock. Wright missed his free throw. An Auburn player grabbed the rebound and heaved the ball the length of the court, a la Henderson from years ago. The ball bounced off of the back of the rim. If that toss had actually gone in, then how long would the Zs hold us in suspense while they huddled before the replay screen. If they decided that the 0.3 seconds was long enough for Auburn to catch and throw the ball, then Auburn wins by one following the desperation toss of the ball. I know, this is all speculation. But, the Zs should never have called that phantom foul with 0.3 left on the clock. Game over, everyone go home.
mtnvandy
Captain

Gutsy W

Post by mtnvandy »

This W was impressive. We were not getting the bounces tonight esp on short shots while AUB was ( eg banked trey).

We did lead in RBs & FT%.
That tells me we wanted it more & practice harder.

We are still in need of a CONSISTENT scorer other than Liam & Ezra.

As Stack said, not a pretty win. But a win.

LAST second bizzareness..,. Want to know who for AUB fouled with .3 left & how. Hope SEC office will review & counsel these refs (ref name???). Just weird. If ever a time to not call a ticky tack or non existent foul. QUESTION- is the clock to stop at the foul or at the whistle/arm raise by ref. Pretty sure the latter.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

The last 0.8 second review was crazy, and the Auburn heave almost went straight in.

I did think the earlier dispute about the (shot clock violation vs shooting foul) call was settled the right way, but an extremely close call, and can understand Auburn feeling they got jobbed on that one.
Gambit
Ensign

Post by Gambit »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:36 am Yes,
What an exciting game, back and forth. Great win.

However, the refs' behavior during last less than a second seemed bizarre. It appeared that the refs wanted to show who was really the star of the show, the winner. Themselves. Manjon's drive to the basket and to score with 0.8 left was fantastic. Then, Wright intercepted the inbound pass by Auburn and threw the ball in the air. Oh, then the zebras spent maybe 5 minutes looking at the computer screen. Finally, nope, game not over. The Zs said Wright was fouled with, I think, 0.3 seconds left. What foul did they see?

So, call all of the players back and put 0.3 on the clock. Wright missed his free throw. An Auburn player grabbed the rebound and heaved the ball the length of the court, a la Henderson from years ago. The ball bounced off of the back of the rim. If that toss had actually gone in, then how long would the Zs hold us in suspense while they huddled before the replay screen. If they decided that the 0.3 seconds was long enough for Auburn to catch and throw the ball, then Auburn wins by one following the desperation toss of the ball. I know, this is all speculation. But, the Zs should never have called that phantom foul with 0.3 left on the clock. Game over, everyone go home.
Isn’t there a rule that with less than .5 you cannot catch and shoot? It has to be a tip? There is no way that from the time he touched the rebound, landed, cocked his arm, and released could happen in .3 seconds
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Gambit wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:23 am
LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:36 am However, the refs' behavior during last less than a second seemed bizarre. It appeared that the refs wanted to show who was really the star of the show, the winner. Themselves. Manjon's drive to the basket and to score with 0.8 left was fantastic. Then, Wright intercepted the inbound pass by Auburn and threw the ball in the air. Oh, then the zebras spent maybe 5 minutes looking at the computer screen. Finally, nope, game not over. The Zs said Wright was fouled with, I think, 0.3 seconds left. What foul did they see?
Isn’t there a rule that with less than .5 you cannot catch and shoot? It has to be a tip? There is no way that from the time he touched the rebound, landed, cocked his arm, and released could happen in .3 seconds
I, too, was curious and looked this up. It is, in fact, 0.3 seconds per the “Trent Tucker Rule.” I still don’t see HOW that shot could have possibly gone off in .3 OR why the attempt was even necessary. When has anyone EVER seen a foul like that called??? And yet, I have little doubt what the SEC refs/office in Birmingham would have concluded. I’m really glad we didn’t have to find out. Hopefully the boys try to win the rest of them with less wiggle room! :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Tucker_Rule
commadore
Admiral

Re: Gutsy W

Post by commadore »

mtnvandy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:14 am This W was impressive. We were not getting the bounces tonight esp on short shots while AUB was ( eg banked trey).

We did lead in RBs & FT%.
That tells me we wanted it more & practice harder.

We are still in need of a CONSISTENT scorer other than Liam & Ezra.

As Stack said, not a pretty win. But a win.

LAST second bizzareness..,. Want to know who for AUB fouled with .3 left & how. Hope SEC office will review & counsel these refs (ref name???). Just weird. If ever a time to not call a ticky tack or non existent foul. QUESTION- is the clock to stop at the foul or at the whistle/arm raise by ref. Pretty sure the latter.
K. D. Johnson per the box score play by play.
Locked Previous topicNext topic