Great Memorial Wins

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

moxiedore92
Captain

Great Memorial Wins

Post by moxiedore92 »

The men's incredible win over UT last night got me thinking about exciting WBB wins at Memorial.

The game I'm thinking of was the win over Ohio State in 1993. VU ranks it as the 44th all-time memorable moment at Memorial which seems lame considering 43rd on the list was a game between Belmont and Lipscomb. But I digress...

The team had just been ranked No. 1 for the first time and suddenly there were 12,000+ people at the game! A young future Hall of Famer, Katie Smith, was a freshman for OSU and had herself a night, as I recall. In addition to key 3-pointers down the stretch by Shelley Jarrard, the play that will forever be etched in my mind was Heidi Gillingam - all 6-10 of her - racing down the midline of the court to block a breakaway layup. I believe the shot would have either tied or put OSU ahead. The final score was 70-67, so maybe OSU ended up putting VU on the line. Regardless, it was an incredible feat of athleticism that still gives me goosebumps.

The talent on those early 90s teams was scary. Phil Lee could sure recruit 'em.

What are your favorite Memorial wins?

got moxie?
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Great Memorial Wins

Post by Go Vandy! »

I have a favorite loss. #2 UT @ #1 VU 1/30/93. Memorial sold out. The Chancellor was refused admission by the Fire Marshal.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 1891094f1/

...and i don't expect Shea to have this team to that level. This year or next or the next. But i sure would love to see another 3-4 Ws this season. And to see what this team is capable of with NO MAJOR INJURIES NEXT YEAR.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Great Memorial Wins

Post by Go Vandy! »

And a favorite win (takes a while). VU 130 Ole Ms 112 12/22/70 no shot clock no 3-point line
Locked Previous topicNext topic