Close but no cigar

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Close but no cigar

Post by charlestonalum »

Quick opinion. We had every chance to beat a top 20 team on the road where we have NEVER won. Lots of chances late with wide open 3's , missed free throws and the missed goal tend. Still this team could have/should have won. Give our guys credit and dare I say it Stack coached a winnable game, if we execute at end.

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Re: Close but no cigar

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I am still on board with Stack. I honestly don't think we can get anyone better. Our talent just isn't what we need (quite yet) but I think he makes the most of what we have. The players are happy with him, so I'm good. Great effort today.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

This team has a lot of talent. I don't know why people think we do not. We have one of the best Centers in the conference, one of the best shooters in the conference, and one of the best utility players in the conference. Our youngsters show a lot of talent IMO as well.

It's inconsistent play that has plagued us. But today we played a complete game on the road against a high quality opponent. Had we played like this all season we wouldn't have the record that we do.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

Shelby finally playing… good to see.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

Had The team played this hard all year they would have two or three fewer losses
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

Nice to see Shelby, Lewis, and Smith out there. Hope Dort gets some minutes in upcoming games, that guy oozes potential.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Vandy187187 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:06 pm This team has a lot of talent. I don't know why people think we do not. We have one of the best Centers in the conference, one of the best shooters in the conference, and one of the best utility players in the conference. Our youngsters show a lot of talent IMO as well.

It's inconsistent play that has plagued us. But today we played a complete game on the road against a high quality opponent. Had we played like this all season we wouldn't have the record that we do.
I agree with that there - We probably easily beat Southern Miss, Grambling State and VCU and probably win one of NCSU, Memphis and St. Mary's. And it was because Thomas, Ansong and QMB played much better than they have all season. Which is great if they can keep this production up, though I'm not holding my breath.

And you are correct that we are not devoid of talent - The idea was that we could fill in our gaps at guard and provide depth with this talented freshmen class to take the next step or at least maintain the positive momentum from last season. Why it took the entire preseason to start playing Shelby and why Dort just doesn't see the court at all I'll never know. If we had lost Southern Miss, Grambling State and VCU because our freshmen made freshman mistakes, we might feel pretty good about our chances upcoming as freshmen start playing like sophomore after 20 or so games under their belt.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Let's be blunt - this season is NOT ending in a tournament bid (barring a miracle run in the SECT). And when you know that's where your season is headed, I'm willing to take some moral victories.

We played hard. Against a good team. On the road. And *nearly* came back with a win. This is a good sign and something we can build on.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

mathguy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:32 pm Let's be blunt - this season is NOT ending in a tournament bid (barring a miracle run in the SECT). And when you know that's where your season is headed, I'm willing to take some moral victories.

We played hard. Against a good team. On the road. And *nearly* came back with a win. This is a good sign and something we can build on.
The players should not give up on winning their way into the tourney until the season is over. They did have a close loss on the road just now to a team that beat UK so I hope we can build on it as you mentioned.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Southern Miss is 14-3 in case anybody hasn't noticed they are better than there were expected to be.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

utahozzie wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:20 pm Shelby finally playing… good to see.
I see why he didn't play. Soon as he touches the ball he thinks he has to shoot. Need to tell him that when he is 35 feet from the basket and no one is within 10 feet of him to dribble in a step or two before shooting. Then the chances of it going in goes way up.
Locked Previous topicNext topic