New NCAA rule change for the tournament

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

New NCAA rule change for the tournament

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The higher seeded team will now be the home team for all contests, meaning that the "home" team will always bat last.

This should have been done a long time ago.

baseball1234
Commander

Re: New NCAA rule change for the tournament

Post by baseball1234 »

A long time coming. In addition to making absolute sense to reward the higher seed, the home team now can't be "walked off" which perhaps had nothing to do with the decision but is an added bonus.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:42 am The higher seeded team will now be the home team for all contests, meaning that the "home" team will always bat last.

This should have been done a long time ago.
Does this apply throughout the tournament or just in Omaha? This change would really emphasize finishing seeded in the top-8.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Can you submit a link? I see several rules changes discussed online (example link below), but nothing about higher seed home team.

If that IS to be a rule, I would think it would apply to Regionals and Supers when a team is actually at home. I can't see the no. 1 National Seed getting to bat last in every CWS game, but I suppose it's possible.

Per NCAA:
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... hanges.pdf
Last edited by Versus75 on Wed May 24, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Versus75 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:09 am Can you submit a link? I see several rules changes discussed online (example link below), but nothing about higher seed home team.

If that IS to be a rule, I would think it would apply to Regionals and Supers when a team is actually at home. I can't see the no. National Seed getting to bat last in every CWS game, but I suppose it's possible.

Per NCAA:
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... hanges.pdf
The news came via this Kendall Rogers tweet:
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

Disagree, Auric. This makes the home team a matter of opinion. When, for example a #1 vs. #2 happens in a 3-game series, why should some possibly flawed or disputed ranking process be allowed to give one team an advantage? Assuming being the home team is an advantage, which I believe it is.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I suppose this came from the ABCA meetings in Nashville. Have any Vandymaniacs been there to confirm this? Is Don Yates covering the meetings for Vandymania?

Still seems a bit suspect, especially when a questioner asks what happens when two no. 2 seeds play in a Super Regional and Kendall replies:

"In the case of the same seeds, I believe they'd go back to the coin flip."

That sounds like supposition rather than direct knowledge.

And even though Kendall tweeted, "... in every level of the postseason...", I still can't see the highest National Seed in the CWS getting last licks in EVERY CWS GAME.

Stanford in 2022 was the no. 2 National Seed and lost its first (and only) two games in the CWS as the "Home" team. No. 14 National Seed Auburn, in the same bracket, lost two games as "Home" team. The two remaining teams in the bracket were Arkansas (a no. 2 seed in its region) and Ole Miss (a no. 3 seed in its region). The "Away" team won all three games in those matchups.

Texas A&M, as the no. 5 National Seed, lost as "HOME", won as "Home", won as "AWAY" and lost to Oklahoma as the "Away" team. Would the new scenario helped A&M make it to the championship series? We will never know.

Then we get to the Best of 3 Championship Series.

With Oklahoma being the "Home" team in all 3 games, would there have been a different CWS Champion? We will never know!
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Sounds like breaking something that doesn't need fixing. Higher ranked was already getting 2 of 3 home team. Ranking systems are inherently flawed when comparing teams with different schedules.

If that makes good sense why does MLB spend all the money to alternate sites?
Versus75
Admiral

I guess we will find out soon enough ...

Post by Versus75 »

... if this is true. Again, I have not seen it anywhere other than in the linked tweet from Kendall Rogers.

A google search for "ncaa baseball tournament changes 2023" cannot find a link that includes "changes".

We have already seen that Rogers' statement referring to "every level of postseason" doesn't apply to conference tournaments. Are they not postseason?

And his statement about "same seeds" shows that he doesn't know for certain how or even if this change will be implemented. Maybe the Selection Committee will want to seed all 64 teams to avoid a coin flip scenario.

NOT!

And this weekend will tell if the same applies to the Women's College World Series (Softball).
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

If two #2 seeds were to play, I'd think the higher seeded #2 would be home. That is, if the #2 in the group with the 4th #1 played the #2 or the 13th seed, I would think the first one would be the higher seed.
Versus75
Admiral

More on this ...

Post by Versus75 »

We will see for certain whether a change has been effected when pairings (Home/Away status) for the Saturday Regionals (game 2) are set.

After reading this article from a year ago (linked below), I e-mailed author Collin Sherwin of dknation.draftkings.com with my comments and included a link to the Kendall Rogers tweet.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2022/6/ ... -bats-last

Collin replied today:
"I was at the AAC Tournament in Clearwater, and they did use this rule."

Of note, top-seeded East Carolina (not located in Clearwater, Florida) was HOME for all six of its games including three with South Florida ... and still did not win the AAC Baseball Tournament.

Edit: The AAC Champion, Tulane, was the lowest seed and played every game as the “Away” team.

And we Vandymaniacs all know that the SEC didn't use the rule or Vanderbilt would not have been the "Home" team for its second game against Florida.

Once again, we will find out soon enough.

If the "Home Team" rule has not been changed I will be watching for a retraction from Mister Rogers.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

It appears that this alleged rule is not in effect.
In the Lexington regional KY (#1 seed) and home team in first game, and Indiana (#3seed and road team) in second game, both won.
On Saturday Indiana is the home team.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Thanks, Pete.

I see other examples as well. In games such as VU versus Oregon between two teams that had been “Home” in their only game, a coin flip decided which is the Home team today.

Most of those who replied to Kendall Rogers’ January tweet saying: “Finally” or “The right thing to do” were likely fans of top teams like Florida and LSU who wanted to be Home throughout the Regional and Super.

But I bet their tone would change if they make the CWS: “Why should Wake Forest get to be Home all the time?”
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What we really need to make things more equal and fair is to do away with humans deciding games by balls and strike calls. Implement some technology that does away with the home plate umpire. His new duty will only be to call safe or out on running plays at the plate along with HBP and balk calls.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

If it was in effect we'd have been the home team yesterday.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

As I now understand it, this rule will be in effect for the 2024 tournament.
Locked Previous topicNext topic