Vandy at Ole Miss, 1/5/23, 6 p.m. (SEC+)

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Vandy at Ole Miss, 1/5/23, 6 p.m. (SEC+)

Post by MikeADore »

Ole Miss is 13-2, 2-0 in SEC play. After Mississippi State beat us by 28 in Nashville, Ole Miss went to Starkville the very next game and beat them by 11. Held them to 50 points. So, we have that to look forward to. They beat Auburn by 32 to open conference play.

Coach Yo is not anywhere near the top of my favorite SEC coach list. In fact, the only thing that keeps her from the very bottom is that Kim Mulkey and Dawn Staley are in the same conference.

Eight of Ole Miss' 12 players are transfers, and seven are seniors or grad students. Coach Yo gathers talent, but she has a hard time keeping it. A couple years ago she shocked college basketball with one of the top recruiting classes in the nation. Now she's raiding the transfer portal to field a competitive team.

Game link:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/ ... 65df81bd3a
Last edited by MikeADore on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Vandy at Ole Miss, 1/5/22, 6 p.m. (SEC+)

Post by MikeADore »

Radio link: https://vanderbilt.leanplayer.com

Pre-game at 5:45
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

Well……. Hmmm.
SV#
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Grateful for our two transfers-in and for the valuable experience our younger players are gaining.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

I really appreciate that there are fans that can find anything positive about this program. I'm serious. We have lost by 21 to the only team in the SEC that has a worse conference record over the last decade. The 9 years before last, Ole Miss won a TOTAL of 27 SEC games (compared to VU's 39). But they were never #1 in the nation. And I'm the only one who thinks this can't be blamed completely on COVID & injuries.

It is a real shame that a team that- before the arrival of Tim Corbin- was the BEST of the 4 major sports, and one of the best in the country- has been allowed to fall this far. The 4 VM posts-well, 5 now- about this game are 5 more than the Rivals site & 247 combined. I know everyone's advice for me would be to stop following this team. Unlike 95+% of the fans from 30 years ago, I can't.

I know the general consensus is the when all is said and done, Ralph will be considered in the company of John Wooden & the like. I wish i could see that. I honestly do.

At least we get a little break Sund- no, not then either
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

Shea Ralph is awesome. If she stays here she will win here. If she leaves she will win wherever she goes. She is that good. She is doing the best she can this year with injuries that no team could sustain without being seriously affected by.

She is bringing in some good talent next year and hopefully some of our talented injured players like Cambridge and Moore will be back and we can have a good year next year. I believe it will only get better from there.

I have followed the women’s team for decades and was there in Memorial when I believe No. 1 UT played No. 2 VU before a full house.

I was there when our beloved Dores beat a strong UT team in the SEC tournament finals in Chattanooga.

I was there when the wonderful Heidi Gillingham was named Homecoming queen at the football game.

I went to see Paige Redman play when she was in high school before she got to VU. I love our Dores that much.

My daughter got her photo made with Sheri Sam at the SEC tournament one year.

I know how good we can be in women’s basketball.

I know we should be that good in women’s basketball.

I believe if Shea Ralph stays at VU she will return us to those glory days. I have that much belief in her.

I can’t wait until that day comes.

Until that day comes I will continue to cheer for our wonderful student-athletes who show such heart and spirit on the court. They deserve my support, and yours as well.

Go Dores!
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Vandy at Ole Miss, 1/5/23, 6 p.m. (SEC+)

Post by Ndorefin »

A question in my mind is why is Brown playing 25 minutes a game and Allen is less than 20? Im certain Brown will be a fine player for us at some point, but she is not ready for the SEC and I dont notice her on the floor when she is in the game. Allen, on the other hand, is a great shooter and a threat to score anytime she has the ball. I hate to say anything negative about this team because i realize they are so short handed and are playing with great energy. Coach Ralph will bring this program back to relevance, but i believe we have a better chance of winning with Allen on the floor.
DoreMatt77
Seaman Recruit

Re: Vandy at Ole Miss, 1/5/23, 6 p.m. (SEC+)

Post by DoreMatt77 »

Hello, I've been a fan of this forum for quite a while and finally decided to put in my two cents. I, too, go back to the days when VUWB was the best thing we had going. My thoughts are: just like "big time" football left us behind in the 50's, "big time" women's basketball left us behind the minute we hired coach White. However, unlike not realizing/admitting/caring about football for the next 70 years, the hiring of Coach Ralph says to me that we care now. I believe she will right the ship (sorry) and have us very competitive soon. I have said for years that besides baseball, women's basketball is the only other big 4 sport in which Vandy can be nationally relevant. Vanderbilt is too philosophically different to compete for championships in football and men's basketball whereas I (maybe naively) believe that the school still matters to the women's players, e.g. Stanford, Notre Dame, etc.

One other opinion regarding the post about playing Brown vs Allen. My seats are about 10 feet from the sideline and I think there's a stamina/conditioning difference that plays a role. Ryanne is an exciting talent and has a higher ceiling than Jada but she gets really winded. It's a carbon copy of Sasha last year who just wasn't in shape for the college game the first 2/3 of the season. I think we'll see Ryanne take a huge step forward by the end of this year and into next.

Lastly, as another noticed, Williams is sitting behind the bench. No gear on, no one talking to her, but she's engaged in the game, cheering, etc. Maybe there's been an update that I've missed in the last few days so does anyone know what's going on? Illness, disciplinary ? the other walking wounded are all on the bench.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

`

Post by MikeADore »

DoreMatt77 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:09 am
One other opinion regarding the post about playing Brown vs Allen. My seats are about 10 feet from the sideline and I think there's a stamina/conditioning difference that plays a role. Ryanne is an exciting talent and has a higher ceiling than Jada but she gets really winded. It's a carbon copy of Sasha last year who just wasn't in shape for the college game the first 2/3 of the season. I think we'll see Ryanne take a huge step forward by the end of this year and into next.
Good point. I have noticed Ryanne getting obviously fatigued at times, and that's probably one of the factors that leads her to foul trouble. She's a bit of an anomaly. Her skills are more wing oriented, but she's built for power. All the film I've seen of her from high school has her on the perimeter shooting threes.

I'm with Ndorefin when it comes to seeing Allen play more. As she physically adjusts to the college game, I might lean more toward borrowing a couple minutes from Chambers and LaChance and maybe even resting Garraud a couple extra minutes with Brown, Harbison and Allen on the perimeter. In addition to adjusting to the college game in general, Allen is having to adjust to playing a new position at power forward. Coach Ralph has noted that her ability from the perimeter forces defenses to guard her there, which opens the lane more for Harbison to drive. That makes a lot of sense, but it still has to be a big adjustment for Allen having to deal with SEC posts.

I do wish they would find a way to get her more shots. It's a yearly frustration for me. I was always wanting to see more of Kiara Pearl because of her shooting ability, then last year it was Kendal Cheesman who couldn't get on the floor. Allen averages about half a game, but she doesn't shoot enough to suit me. How much better would the offense be if Ryanne Allen was getting 10 shots per game? She has a quick release because there is no wasted motion. She's strong enough that she can shoot threes with great touch almost without jumping.

I hope you continue to post. I enjoyed reading your thoughts.
Locked Previous topicNext topic