UK picks up a commit from former NC State QB Devin Leary

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

UK picks up a commit from former NC State QB Devin Leary

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Nice addition from the transfer portal as a replacement for Will Levis.

dorelover82
Ensign

Re: UK picks up a commit from former NC State QB Devin Leary

Post by dorelover82 »

Shouldn't we instate a draft? If we are paying people should at least level the playing field.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I heard Mike Farrell say today on ESPNU Radio that Devin Leary reportedly is receiving a $4 million NIL package for committing to UK.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:38 pm I heard Mike Farrell say today on ESPNU Radio that Devin Leary reportedly is receiving a $4 million NIL package for committing to UK.
:o :o :o

I suppose that given he is a known quantity he is able to command a premium. This is all pretty incredible. In truth, the fact that the market is this thick tells me that it really hasn't been right to keep the players from their cut of it for so long. We could've done NIL without the portal changes, but the combination of the two have certainly created a wild west effect.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

It will be a slow, lingering demise, but college football will soon be dead. Next step is no concept of academic progress or participation (the portal has already established that) meaning the average non-athlete student feels no connection to the players or desire to attend games. Alum fans will cease to exist. On the bright side, at this point I'm not sure I care.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

OldDude wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:44 am It will be a slow, lingering demise, but college football will soon be dead. Next step is no concept of academic progress or participation (the portal has already established that) meaning the average non-athlete student feels no connection to the players or desire to attend games. Alum fans will cease to exist. On the bright side, at this point I'm not sure I care.
Yeah good points, I'm either right there or very close to it. It's kind of sad but there are probably better ways to spend time and money so maybe not all bad.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:38 pm I heard Mike Farrell say today on ESPNU Radio that Devin Leary reportedly is receiving a $4 million NIL package for committing to UK.
That explains why a decent QB prospect would want to go to UK and play in a Mark Stoop offense. Stoop almost singlehandedly knocked Levis into the second round of the NFL Draft.
Locked Previous topicNext topic