9.7 sec left down 1

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

9.7 sec left down 1

Post by charlestonalum »

Stack calls time out, and with an incalcuable amount of pressure we HAVE to make a play. We line up in a clearly well rehearsed play with Stack directing at the sideline. Stute passes to Manjon with 5.9 he drives and dishes to Lawrence under the basket. He is fouled with 1.1 seconds down 1... and calmy, confidently swishes them both. Tickled the net with no rim contact as the ice water coursed through his arteries, veins, brain and HEART. There were many great aspects to the last 9.7 seconds of play. Chief among them was forgetting the previous 2 minutes and determination to go get it. The superb timeout called to be sure we had a play. Execution of the play. A 61% FT shooter clutch at the line. Great defense with 1.1 sec left. This, sportsfans, was a great end to another tight game that could have been lost. Congratulations to team and coaches!
20221208_083349.jpg
20221208_083349.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 1428 times
Last edited by charlestonalum on Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Re: 9.7 sec left down 1

Post by underdog74 »

I'd be willing to bet the first option or two was not available on that last play. Manjon drove and Ty was in the right spot on the weak side to make a play. I was happy for Ty hitting those FTs, because he didn't play very well in the second half.
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

All of that was GREAT!

I work on Wednesday nights and typically can't make these games, but I had some vacation I was going to lose...goodnight to be at a fun game.

Two small things, Dia wasn't in on that final play & unless I misunderstood Stack in his post game comments, Lawrence was option #2 sorta. He said something like, we were trying to get penetration and action involving Trey Thomas or Lawrence slipping inside(he might of said, "someone", but I think he said Lawrence).
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

it looked like the first option was a 3 or long 2 for thomas which really surprised me- manon is good at driving but not always sure where to go with it- i figured we would get robbins the ball since he can create his own shot with the turnaround and can hit free throws. Fantastic moment for lawrence to make those free throws- i think i remember him missing a few big ones at the end of the game last year or the year before. CKS stayed with him even though he was not having his best game- i think him hitting that three after multiple misses boosted his confidence too. Also interesting that Calton got some first half minutes at the 2...
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I wish Trey could be more consistent. He has worked on his defense and ball-handling, and it shows.

I really would like to hear more about Noah Shelby, and why he cannot crack the rotation.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

ymtn64 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:36 am All of that was GREAT!

I work on Wednesday nights and typically can't make these games, but I had some vacation I was going to lose...goodnight to be at a fun game.

Two small things, Dia wasn't in on that final play & unless I misunderstood Stack in his post game comments, Lawrence was option #2 sorta. He said something like, we were trying to get penetration and action involving Trey Thomas or Lawrence slipping inside(he might of said, "someone", but I think he said Lawrence).
Right it was Miles Stute- fixed it
Locked Previous topicNext topic