VU fined $250K for storming the field

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

VU fined $250K for storming the field

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Yes, I am serious.

https://www.secsports.com/article/35068 ... violations

For this (keep in mind most of the students had already left for Thanksgiving break):

[tweet][/tweet]

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: VU fined $250K for storming the field

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Good grief. Any lawyers out there care to explain whether or not VU could file a request for review of the incident? Seems like an apples/oranges comparison and $250k is entirely unwarranted. But then, it’s the SEC. They’re probably fining VU for winning the game instead of allowing them to screw us over with their final free play awarded to UF shenanigans. The SEC sucks.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

[tweet][/tweet]
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

The SEC office is POed because Vandy won even after the officials tried to give FL some help. This is outrageous and I would like to see VU fight this and maybe take the SEC dictators down a notch. I am not sure it is legal for any agreement to deny due process is it ? Making a public show of this moronic decision would certainly be picked up by media to the embarrassment of the office.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

#StreetCred
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Seriously thought you WERE kidding when I saw the thread title.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If you look at the videos in those tweets, the Event Security people stood aside. It was as orderly a thing as I've ever seen.

And this from the SEC release:

Vanderbilt will incur a fine of $250,000 for a third offense under the league's access to competition area policy following its game Saturday against Florida. Vanderbilt was last fined for a violation following its men's basketball game against Kentucky in 2016.

So they go back 6 years for the last? When was the first that they're counting?
Last edited by FayetteDore on Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

AND, did they fine Arkansas for the Arkansas fan who stole an Ole Miss player's helmet. video here
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

How about fining Kentucky for stealing our ball boys toboggan?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

What's really ironic about this is that the SEC said just two weeks ago they wanted to investigate how to make postgame celebrations safer: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/mo/st-lou ... re_twitter

What's safer than what happened at FirstBank Stadium yesterday?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Okay, admit I am pi$$ed about this. So see below if interested:

UAccess to Competition AreaU. In all sports, institutions shall limit access to the competition area to participating student-athletes, coaches, officials, support personnel, and properly-credentialed or authorized individuals at all times.
For the safety of participants and spectators alike, at no time before, during or after a contest may spectators enter the competition area. It is the responsibility of each member institution to implement procedures to ensure compliance with this policy.
Institutional penalties against individuals who improperly enter the competition area must include, but are notS Slimited to, expulsion from the facility, arrest for trespassing, and the loss of future ticket privileges. In addition to these penalties, violators who are students must be subject to institutional student disciplinary measures.
Each institution shall publicize this policy, as well as the penalties associated with violations, through appropriate means, such as ticket back statements, public address announcements, video/matrix announcements, facility signage, and other means available. In addition, each head coach shall publicly discourage spectators from entering the playing area at any time.
UPenalties for Institutional ViolationsU. For the safety of participants and spectators alike, the Commissioner may (in his or her sole discretion) impose the following penalties: 1st offense: an institutional fine of $50,000; 2nd offense: an institutional fine of up to $100,000; 3rd or subsequent offense: an institutional fine of up to $250,000.
The Commissioner may also impose additional penalties as he or she deems appropriate.

So I can ,as a fan , trigger a fine by walking on Dudley field the day after a game (read your document Skankey).

Violaters who are students must be subject to institutional disciplinary measures ( good luck on equitably enforcing that at UT or USC)

The Commisar may in sole discretion impose stated penalties. (This is an example of wise discretion ?)

I am absolutely in favor of safety measures but the actions of VU students filing calmly onto the field posed as much danger as a group of four year olds gamboling at a day care center. Skankey (no this not an accidental misspelling) needs to get a dementia screening.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

At this point, I do have to ask what the hell the 100 or so people in the big yellow vests are supposed to be doing. I mean, they obviously could have stopped the students from walking down the steps, right? They just stood there.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Several points on this:
1. A rule's a rule. Vandy's athletic department knows the rules, and the students did technically break it. (Though not in egregious fashion like most other places.)
2. The CSC Event Staff people didn't try to stop anyone... suggesting that Vandy probably deserves the fine.
3. Big deal, and good for Vandy. Big SEC schools just look at these things and say, "It was worth it." Vandy should too.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Wonder what would happen if VU gave them the finger and said "Come get it."
Probably take it out of our share, plus interest. Oh well.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:29 pm Yes, I am serious.

For this (keep in mind most of the students had already left for Thanksgiving break):

[tweet][/tweet]
Let the students pay the fine, they're the ones who violated the rule! Fining the school is not punishing the perpetrators!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

People keep saying it was "the students" (and I get it, given the location of the video above), but I can tell you that there were a lot of non-students out on the field, too. Probably more non-students than students, to be honest, given the fact that most of them had already left for home.

I also think this is an example of the league needing a proportional response. As noted above, if you read the conference's rules on this, literally one person on the field who isn't supposed to be there could trigger the fine.

That being said, the CSC event staff probably need to be fired.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

From the above video the crowd on the Vandy field was sparse.

However, the crowd on the South Carolina field after the SC win was massive. I am surprised that no one was injured on the SC field. It was packed tight. In my view SC deserves a huge fine. Vandy's fine should be more like $25,000, although the SEC probably has a schedule of fines much higher.
Last edited by LawoftheWest on Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrumpyOldDore
Ensign

Post by GrumpyOldDore »

No reason to think the Constitution applies here, but the rule as quoted would seem to fall in the vague and overbroad area and prohibit activities which are surely "legal" such as allowing random fans and visitors to stroll the field after the Spring game.
GrumpyOldDore
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Clemson has a tradition of "Meeting at the Paw" after every home victory. I have a kid at Clemson, and I asked if they did that after every game or just victories. No one knew for sure because none of them has ever suffered through a home loss. Totally different college football experience than my son who graduated from Vanderbilt this year.
goodtimes05
Ensign

Post by goodtimes05 »

I wouldn't pay it, and then when they claw it back from our annual distribution I would seek arbitration. In the meantime, I would lobby support from other ADs because no one in this league wants to be subjected to such absurd and arbitrary fees.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

thefan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:43 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:29 pm Yes, I am serious.

[tweet][/tweet]
Let the students pay the fine, they're the ones who violated the rule! Fining the school is not punishing the perpetrators!
Someone will figure out how to forgive payment of the fine.
Locked Previous topicNext topic