UtK makes history

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VU1970
Admiral

UtK makes history

Post by VU1970 »

The Viles found a way to lose the SEC East Championship, the SEC crown, and probably any hope of a shot at the national championship, all on the same day. A good outing for the champions of life.

It was a mercy killing in Athens as Kirby chose to let up on the gas after intermission. Everybody in America knew the game was over before halftime, and it was clear to anyone not wearing smoked orange goggles that there was only one elite team on the field.

thefan
Captain

Re: UtK makes history

Post by thefan »

I likewise noticed that Kirby let up the gas, as you say, but do not think it had anything to do with mercy. I think Kirby knew the game was over and did not want the Dawgs to make any big mistakes that would let UT back in the competition. Almost despise the Dawgs as much as the Vols. UT is a very good team, but the offensive and defensive line for Georgia showed they are the best in the country. Football games are usually not won by the so-called hyped stars but in the lowly not-so-hyped trenches! Thought the officiating mistakes went in UT's favor.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Wishful thinking and I absolutely hope you are correct but we know a single loss to Georgia may keep them from winning the SEC East title and being in the SEC championship game but they are still very much in the national playoff hunt.

Georgia may have done them a favor by keeping them out of the SEC championship as we know a one-loss SEC team even if they aren't in the SEC-C is still a candidate but they may need a little help. I sure hope they don't get it.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

cc11316 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:21 pm Wishful thinking and I absolutely hope you are correct but we know a single loss to Georgia may keep them from winning the SEC East title and being in the SEC championship game but they are still very much in the national playoff hunt.

Georgia may have done them a favor by keeping them out of the SEC championship as we know a one-loss SEC team even if they aren't in the SEC-C is still a candidate but they may need a little help. I sure hope they don't get it.
And this is where Vanderbilt can play a role. All we have to do is beat them or come close! Our oass defense must get better...
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:42 pm
cc11316 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:21 pm Wishful thinking and I absolutely hope you are correct but we know a single loss to Georgia may keep them from winning the SEC East title and being in the SEC championship game but they are still very much in the national playoff hunt.

And this is where Vanderbilt can play a role. All we have to do is beat them or come close! Our oass defense must get better...
I do think Vandy is getting a little better on defense and with the addition of a Top 25 class next season, we should start to see an SEC win or two but I have no hope this defense can slow Tennessee down this season. I am afraid it will be 55+ points as they need to dominate the remainder of their games. I sure hope I'm wrong and Vandy can give them a good fight but I just don't see it.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

cc11316 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:59 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:42 pm

I do think Vandy is getting a little better on defense and with the addition of a Top 25 class next season, we should start to see an SEC win or two but I have no hope this defense can slow Tennessee down this season. I am afraid it will be 55+ points as they need to dominate the remainder of their games. I sure hope I'm wrong and Vandy can give them a good fight but I just don't see it.
And where are we going to get a top 25 recruiting class? We have 15 recruits, have not gotten a single one in two months, and have zero four stars. We will be lucky to end in the top 50. We need about five huge, fast, mean as a snake DLs and three OLs with horrible dispositions and the size of an F-350. Also need some coaches with balls the size of the king of Bayonne and imagination of a child. Don't see any of this happening.

Note: we are currently #52.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

In retrospect their win over Alabama looks a bit like fools' gold. How many times are you going to play Bama and they commit 28 penalties?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

alathIN wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:55 am In retrospect their win over Alabama looks a bit like fools' gold. How many times are you going to play Bama and they commit 28 penalties?
and beating Bama this year turns our to be not what it used to be - they are ranked #10 now and still have to go to Ole Miss.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

It’s major wishful thinking to think Vanderbilt would have a ghost of a chance of beating UT.

However Missouri might give them a game. Missouri played close games against Georgia and Kentucky. Missouri has a stout pass rush. They get to the quarterback and give him problems.

Plus UT might have a major letdown after losing to Georgia. They’ll either come out mad and blow Missouri’s doors off or they’ll come out unfocused and dwelling on the Georgia loss and that could be bad.

The college football playoff will be highly criticized if LSU wins the SECCG over Georgia but UT gets picked as the second SEC team (along with Georgia) and SEC champion LSU gets left out.

And if TCU can finish the season undefeated but the selection committee picks UT over undefeated TCU that would be a major controversy too.

If TCU is undefeated I think only one SEC team should be in the playoffs, most likely Georgia. The others would be the winner of the Ohio State-Michigan game, Oregon (who has beaten some good teams and has only loss to Georgia in Week 1) and TCU.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

If the SEC champion is not in the playoffs, it would be a good argument (one of many) for doing away with the conference championship game.
Locked Previous topicNext topic