Asst coach Dan Jackson (DBs) inserts himself into the Kanye West mess on social media

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Asst coach Dan Jackson (DBs) inserts himself into the Kanye West mess on social media

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Regardless of whether you think he's welcome to his opinion, your support of free speech, or if you think Kanye is right, IMHO this is entirely inappropriate and shows a lack of good judgement. All it does is create a needless distraction at a time when the entire team ought to be focused on one thing. It sets a lousy example for his players, and to post this as an employee in a high profile setting at a large university in the middle of the season just demonstrates really bad prudence.

Again, IMHO he's welcome to his opinion (albeit misguided). But maybe he ought to consider a career in something else.

dore74
Vice Admiral

Re: Asst coach Dan Jackson (DBs) inserts himself into the Kanye West mess on social media

Post by dore74 »

Sent the Chancellor an email about this. It looks like he may have been hacked (I certainly hope so). If not what in god’s name could he be thinking about.

I’m Jewish what Kanye has been saying is out and out hatred towards Jews. I don’t think any opinion supporting hate Iike that directed towards a group of people in a public forum should be (or is) allowed by the University. Anti Semitic tropes are not an opinion.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: Asst coach Dan Jackson (DBs) inserts himself into the Kanye West mess on social media

Post by alathIN »

People don't seem to understand that free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.
No, the government can't punish you for making antisemitic remarks.
But if you are no longer invited to parties, or people no longer want to listen to your music or pay you to wear the shoes they make,, that is not a violation of your freedoms. It's decent people exercising their freedoms, which include the freedom not to associate with an ignorant bigot.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Apparently coach Jackson's ability to monitor his own behavior is at the same level as his ability to coach a defensive backfield. VU does not need this, nor should the university tolerate. He should be fired.

edit: have emailed complaint to the AD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Jackson issues an apology on his Twitter account:
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

A terrible distraction at a time when all focus needs to be on South Carolina.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Candice Lee and Clark Lea respond:
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Big challenge for Lee and Lea. Coach has dealt with other non football matters, I think, in a thoughtful, serious and quiet way. Suspect he’ll do the same here. Unlikely coach Jackson is here by season’s end I suspect.

Very pleased that they reacted quickly.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

What a BS non-apology.
When you say Kanye is two steps ahead of everyone and more people need to wake up, that is an explicit endorsement of what Kanye said.
It's not poorly worded, coach. You made yourself perfectly clear.

About the only thing Vanderbilt fans have historically been able to rely on is that our players and coaches have IQs somewhere North of room temperature, and you can root for people who aren't abhorrent.
If we're going to lose AND be Nazi sympathizers, I'm going to run out of reasons to care.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

dore74 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:33 pm Big challenge for Lee and Lea. Coach has dealt with other non football matters, I think, in a thoughtful, serious and quiet way. Suspect he’ll do the same here. Unlikely coach Jackson is here by season’s end I suspect.

Very pleased that they reacted quickly.
Not only was his post deplorabe, our pass defense has also been ugly, too: 2 reasons for a new DB coach next year. Very unfortunate.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

What an unmitigated disaster! This guy should have been fired on Friday. There is no reason why he should be around our players and on our campus any longer. His job performance had already merited a termination.

Just another example of Clark Lea's inability to assemble a good staff.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Jackson needs to "learn from this experience" some place else.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

alathIN wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:48 pm What a BS non-apology.
When you say Kanye is two steps ahead of everyone and more people need to wake up, that is an explicit endorsement of what Kanye said.
It's not poorly worded, coach. You made yourself perfectly clear.

About the only thing Vanderbilt fans have historically been able to rely on is that our players and coaches have IQs somewhere North of room temperature, and you can root for people who aren't abhorrent.
If we're going to lose AND be Nazi sympathizers, I'm going to run out of reasons to care.
Agree alathIN, in fact doubt that he even personally wrote that CYA response.

The wording of his initial grossly offensive tweet made it very clear as to his attitudes. Telling people to wake up and listen to Kanye ?!?? Sorry , but my tolerance level for racist , misogynistic or fascist jerks is zero . This guy has to go now and Vanderbilt's administration should take pride in such a decision.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

And it was Jesus who said "he who is without sin cast the first stone... " I suspect most people on social media have expressed regretable thoughts/comments (maybe this is even one by me,) but my bet is next year Jackson will have found a new job. This by no means an excuse of his action, but rather an explanation for his not being immediatly "terminated."
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:06 pm And it was Jesus who said "he who is without sin cast the first stone... " I suspect most people on social media have expressed regretable thoughts/comments (maybe this is even one by me,) but my bet is next year Jackson will have found a new job. This by no means an excuse of his action, but rather an explanation for his not being immediatly "terminated."
Thank you. What he said was really bad, but some of the responses here have been over the top.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:06 pm And it was Jesus who said "he who is without sin cast the first stone... " I suspect most people on social media have expressed regretable thoughts/comments (maybe this is even one by me,) but my bet is next year Jackson will have found a new job. This by no means an excuse of his action, but rather an explanation for his not being immediatly "terminated."
Sorry , but I believe the termination should have been this morning. His ability to coach this evening will be hampered by the distraction of this issue. Likewise, for the rest of the season a cloud will (or sure as hell should) hang over him. He needs to go as soon as possible.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Saying somebody should no longer be welcome to set foot on your campus, much less represent your university at public events, can't (and shouldn't) be compared to stoning him to death. And there is a vast difference between saying "stupid" things on social media and endorsing antisemitic bullshit.

Some things are more important than football.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

If he’s on the sideline today, my alumni support is reduced to $0 until he’s gone and further apologies issued. Anything less than immediate termination is an error in judgement.

I can tolerate being third rate football team, but won’t tolerate a third reich team.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:06 pm And it was Jesus who said "he who is without sin cast the first stone... "
I fully agree.
Jackson doesn't deserve to be bludgeoned to death with stones.
That would be an overreaction
DonYates
Commodore

Post by DonYates »

He should have been studying film or coaching his players instead of making controversial comments on social media. Maybe he's part of the problem of giving up tons of points to opponents.
Locked Previous topicNext topic