Remarkable--Matt Ryan to make the Lakers' roster

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Remarkable--Matt Ryan to make the Lakers' roster

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Re: Remarkable--Matt Ryan to make the Lakers' roster

Post by Minoadoc »

must have used up his missed shot quota with us
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Let's review Bryce Drew's 20-loss-streak roster, shall we...

Saben Lee - Detroit Pistons
Aaron Nesmith - Boston Celtics
Simi Shittu - Orlando Magic
Matt Ryan - L.A. Lakers
Yanni Wetzell - Berlin of the pro EuroLeague
Joe Toye - played 129 games and started 41 at VU
Max Evans - played 121 games at VU

---------------------------------------------------------------

^ ^ Does this scream "lose 20 games in a row" to you? It's doesn't to me either.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Top notch recruiter; just can't coach.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:28 pm Let's review Bryce Drew's 20-loss-streak roster, shall we...

Matt Ryan - L.A. Lakers

^ ^ Does this scream "lose 20 games in a row" to you? It's doesn't to me either.
I get that as basketball season approaches, the temptation to take pot shots at xCBD is too much to pass up. The man can obviously coach (just apparently not at Vanderbilt) so here's just some recent random ranking of college basketball coaches (https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/10/03/ ... 23-season/). According to this ranking recently published by Fansided, they ranked each of the 363 D1 Head Coaches and interestingly enough:

- 110. Jerry Stackhouse (Vanderbilt)
- 72. Bryce Drew. (Grand Canyon)

I'm not sure what it means other than everyone doesn't think he sucks like some Vanderbilt fans do. I wish them both luck in the future.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

cc11316 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:05 pm ... the temptation to take pot shots at xCBD is too much to pass up. The man can obviously coach (just apparently not at Vanderbilt) so here's just some recent random ranking of college basketball coaches (https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/10/03/ ... 23-season/). According to this ranking recently published by Fansided, they ranked each of the 363 D1 Head Coaches and interestingly enough:

- 110. Jerry Stackhouse (Vanderbilt)
- 72. Bryce Drew. (Grand Canyon)
I stand by my statement and use the earlier posts in the thread as evidence. With all that NBA talent on the squad, Drew managed to "coach" the 'Dores to an 0-19 record in SEC play including the SECT.

To be able to "coach" (verb) refers to teaching and motivating players and designing the strategy to produce results. The noun "coach" includes characteristics such as recruiting ability. I conceded that as one of Bryce Drew's strengths.

The Fansided ranking is bogus. Hubert Davis (North Carolina) was ranked no. 82 going into last season, before he had head-coached a single game. Kenny Payne (Louisville) is ranked no. 84 this year before he has head-coached a single game. John Calipari has vastly underachieved despite the dozens of five-star players he has recruited, yet is ranked no. 2.

No pot shot here. Just stating the facts.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Bryce Drew is not even in Stackhouse’s league in terms of coaching chops. CJS won D League COY honors. Drew couldn’t accomplish that in another 4 decades of coaching.
An examination of their respective VU tenures proves their relative values as coaches. Drew was still blaming the Garland injury for his record at VU 2 months into his stint at Grand Canyon (sarcasm alert).
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:06 pm Bryce Drew is not even in Stackhouse’s league in terms of coaching chops. CJS won D League COY honors. Drew couldn’t accomplish that in another 4 decades of coaching.
An examination of their respective VU tenures proves their relative values as coaches. Drew was still blaming the Garland injury for his record at VU 2 months into his stint at Grand Canyon (sarcasm alert).
I respectfully disagree with your opinion but respect what you are saying. In my opinion, Stackhouse is figuring it out and definitely improving as is the Vandy roster but he's not as good of a coach (yet) as Bryce Drew who's entire family has been in coaching for a long time and he has had success everywhere (but here for a year or two). We'll never know what he could have done with another year but he's a class act who never said a negative word about this program. He has continued to succeed elsewhere (yeah it's Grand Canyon).
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

cc11316 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:09 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:06 pm Bryce Drew is not even in Stackhouse’s league in terms of coaching chops. CJS won D League COY honors. Drew couldn’t accomplish that in another 4 decades of coaching.
I respectfully disagree with your opinion but respect what you are saying. In my opinion, Stackhouse is figuring it out and definitely improving as is the Vandy roster but he's not as good of a coach (yet) as Bryce Drew who's entire family has been in coaching for a long time and he has had success everywhere (but here for a year or two). We'll never know what he could have done with another year but he's a class act who never said a negative word about this program. He has continued to succeed elsewhere (yeah it's Grand Canyon).
I guess we'd have been 0-30 had he stayed another year. He damn near destroyed this program. and coaching Grand Canyon to a winning season against the likes of Grambling, Mississippi Valley State, and Chicago State is not the same as winning agai st Kentucky, Tennessee, and Auburn. If you think so, the to quote Ygrette in Game of Thrones, "you know nothing, cc11316."
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Despite winning 23 game last season, GCU's schedule was so bad...

No invite to the NCAA
No invite to the NIT
No invite to the CIT
No invite to the CBI
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

This dead horse is getting ripe already!!! Geez....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Back to the original post re: Lakers' roster.

Did Pippen make it?
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

commadore wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:49 pm
I guess we'd have been 0-30 had he stayed another year. He damn near destroyed this program. and coaching Grand Canyon to a winning season against the likes of Grambling, Mississippi Valley State, and Chicago State is not the same as winning agai st Kentucky, Tennessee, and Auburn. If you think so, the to quote Ygrette in Game of Thrones, "you know nothing, cc11316."
I'm not sure why expressing an opinion that differs from your opinion seems to always get personal with you. This isn't politics, it's just entertainment.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

cc11316 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:52 pm
commadore wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:49 pm

I'm not sure why expressing an opinion that differs from your opinion seems to always get personal with you. This isn't politics, it's just entertainment.
Politics? If you think this is political, then you REALLY know nothing. If you think it is personal, then you know even less.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:28 pm Let's review Bryce Drew's 20-loss-streak roster, shall we...

Matt Ryan - L.A. Lakers

And don't forget we got 5 games out of NBA All Star Darius Garland (I know you didn't forget).
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

buffy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:55 am

Matt Ryan - L.A. Lakers

And don't forget we got 5 games out of NBA All Star Darius Garland (I know you didn't forget).
To be fair…Garland went down about 4 minutes into that fifth game. Which marked the beginning of the end. But it didn’t have to end the way it did if x(C)BD had developed a better game plan to adapt to the loss of Garland.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

A part of me has always wondered what the season would have looked like had Garland not been injured. It might not have been as rosy as some think.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:54 pm A part of me has always wondered what the season would have looked like had Garland not been injured. It might not have been as rosy as some think.
I don't know, but that team had some talent. Of the four games that DG played in, he was a huge factor. The whole team fed off his energy and could go on these huge runs. Beat USC in LA. Memorial was up for grabs for those three home games. Then it all ended so quickly.....
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I do think Shittu would have been much more of a factor with Garland in the lineup. Maybe still not quite as good as anticipated, but he would have been a big asset taking lobs in the paint. Still, he never seemed to get into a rhythm and I wonder if he started the season still not 100% from his injury. Then, when Garland went down, he mentally checked out in addition to being physically hampered. The mind is a powerful tool, both positive and negative.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

VUaskew wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:07 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:54 pm A part of me has always wondered what the season would have looked like had Garland not been injured. It might not have been as rosy as some think.
I don't know, but that team had some talent. Of the four games that DG played in, he was a huge factor. The whole team fed off his energy and could go on these huge runs. Beat USC in LA. Memorial was up for grabs for those three home games. Then it all ended so quickly.....
The team definitely gave up once Garland went down, or more specifically, looked to Shittu to step up and he phoned it in. There was enough talent on the roster to be a bubble team without Garland but the way the roster was put together relied upon a lot of things going right since all the best talent was young and the better veterans were transfers who were completely new to the program. Garland could have taken them to a tournament appearance, but I'm skeptical that this team had final four potential even with Garland. IMO, Garland getting injured simply postponed the inevitable by a couple of years - maybe Drew recruits with the big boys, but getting Garland/Shittu/Nesmith feels like lightning in a bottle/something he wasn't going to repeat each season, and we had already seen how he underperformed even with traditionally excellent VU players in Riley LaChance and Jeff Roberson. The lack of development of players would have become obvious and a major issue.
Locked Previous topicNext topic