IMO, 28-14 was the best thing that could happen,

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

IMO, 28-14 was the best thing that could happen,

Post by Go Vandy! »

regardless of outcome. (1) Last week, you lost to a team that is significantly better. Whether the game should have been more competitive is open for debate. (2) Now you're down 2 TDs on the road to a team you should be to-some-degree better than. Are you going to (anchor down) and prove that you are the better team? And i thought they showed real "grit & determination". And gave us a nice glimpse of what is possible going forward.

dorelover82
Ensign

Re: IMO, 28-14 was the best thing that could happen,

Post by dorelover82 »

Talent on defense must be improved, both with the young men on the team currently and through recruiting. However, I love the dedication of the coaching staff, and the fight of the players.

In pre-season discussion we were asked "what is a successful season?" I said 3 0f 4 in pre-conference season and a conference win. We are able to make that happen. Let's get behind the group and grind out 1 or 2. I see Missouri and South Carolina as the best possibilities. Outside of that stay healthy and recruit, recruit, recruit.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

dorelover82 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:07 am Talent on defense must be improved, both with the young men on the team currently and through recruiting. However, I love the dedication of the coaching staff, and the fight of the players.

In pre-season discussion we were asked "what is a successful season?" I said 3 0f 4 in pre-conference season and a conference win. We are able to make that happen. Let's get behind the group and grind out 1 or 2. I see Missouri and South Carolina as the best possibilities. Outside of that stay healthy and recruit, recruit, recruit.
Its interesting because if we go 1-7 down the stretch there is no doubt that the mood of the board will be downright surly. But you rightly point out that 4-8 with a conference win this year (along with the flashes we've seen so far) would be progress from Year 1. I guess mood will in large part be dictated by how we look in the remaining games.

Random thought, I really hope some other school finds a way to hire Stoops away from Kentucky. His being successful there (and Kiffin at Ole Miss) is not good for our long-term prospects.
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

I can't help but remember 2017, when VU started 4-0 including a victory over Kansas State.

Then there the Lealo-fueled beatdown at the hands of Alabama and the team never quite recovered.

The next 3 games are a veritable murderer's row and the fans know it.

Will the team come out of it healthy and able to regroup, knowing that the worst is behind them as they jump out of the frying pan and into the slightly less intimidating frying pan?
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

TBF, i think Lealo doesn't deserve all the grief he's gotten from that statement. I don't think he was challenging Bama, just stating they were the upcoming foe. Saban was going to win that game NMW.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Go Vandy! wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:17 pm TBF, i think Lealo doesn't deserve all the grief he's gotten from that statement. I don't think he was challenging Bama, just stating they were the upcoming foe. Saban was going to win that game NMW.
yeah, but it gave Jalen Hurts a chance to act all butt-hurt and play the "disrespect" card. If you need that to get up for a game, then you're pretty pathetic.
Locked Previous topicNext topic