Kiffin: No. 1 thing will be the money, not the stadium, campus or coach

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Kiffin: No. 1 thing will be the money, not the stadium, campus or coach

Post by FayetteDore »

After the Nick/Jimbo "buying players" war of words.

Now comes Lane Kiffin telling SI:
"You take a 17-year-old who, a lot of them, don’t come from money and family doesn’t come from money … if any person tells you that their NIL is not the No. 1 thing … take 100 of them and ask about the No. 1 thing that’s going to make the decision … it’s not the size of the stadium, not the head coach, not the campus or the conference, the No. 1 thing will be money."

VU fans can take solace knowing "it's not the size of the stadium...."

BUT, hold on you college football purists....
“We’re a professional sport,” he says, “and they are professional players.”

ANOTHER brick in the wall.

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Kiffin: No. 1 thing will be the money, not the stadium, campus or coach

Post by charlestonalum »

if nothing else, he tells it like it is. There is the occasional player who cares about the degree or the city or the conference, but that is the rare find. I get it.
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

Every time one of our players who isn't getting playing time transfers for their last couple years to Zero Tech, it tells me that it's only been about football. They have no problem trading away a Vandy degree so that they can play two seasons of forgettable football. The student-athlete is practically a myth and I can't say that it hasn't taken a lot of my support out of the sport.
A32Win
Ensign

NIL at Ohio State: Ryan Day estimates $13 million needed in NIL money to maintain Ohio State football roster

Post by A32Win »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/c-j-stroud-g ... 25583.html

As C.J. Stroud gets a Bentley, former Ohio State QB Quinn Ewer got an Aston Martin

Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud landed a Bentley Bentayga on Wednesday in an NIL deal, but he's not the only 2021 Buckeye football player who seems to be riding in style.

Former Ohio State quarterback Quinn Ewers, the highest-rated recruit to ever sign with the Buckeyes, is driving his own expensive luxury vehicle.

Texas sophomore receiver Xavier Worthy, a former Michigan recruit who changed his mind and went to Texas last year, posted on social media Wednesday that Ewers, who transferred to Texas this off season, was driving an Aston Martin.

NIL at Ohio State: Ryan Day estimates $13 million needed in NIL money to maintain Ohio State football roster

Ewers has an NIL deal with a local Aston Martin dealership, and he is the second Longhorn to be part of such an arrangement. Bijan Robinson, star running back for Texas, signed an NIL deal with Lamborghini of Austin last month.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Is there still a Yugo dealership in Nashville?

The ratings sites don’t have to watch videos; just rate the kid on what model car he is driving. In my day, though, freshmen were not allowed to have a car.
GrumpyOldDore
Ensign

Post by GrumpyOldDore »

I wonder if one day the "revenuers" might take a look at what college sponsored professional entertainment has to do with an educational or charitable purpose. Considering the country's needs, I'm not real sure I like the idea of otherwise taxable income being diverted for this purpose.
GrumpyOldDore
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Kiffin, as usual, is correct. But let's be honest, we were never gonna build anything with that type of player. If money is the only thing, and for some kids, maybe it has to be, then I get it. We can only build with a unique culture. It may or may not happen, but CCL is probably your best chance at that.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

buffy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:39 am Kiffin, as usual, is correct. But let's be honest, we were never gonna build anything with that type of player. If money is the only thing, and for some kids, maybe it has to be, then I get it. We can only build with a unique culture. It may or may not happen, but CCL is probably your best chance at that.
Yep, we gotta go all-in with CCL and the kind of program we want to be and see what happens over the next five years or so. I don't know that it will work, but its the best shot we'll have. If it doesn't work, then I don't know what the answer is.
Locked Previous topicNext topic