Chase Burns

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Chase Burns

Post by GooseJones15 »

Did we recruit Burns? If so was it academics?

PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Re: Chase Burns

Post by PinkFloyd »

Burns never considered Vandy... He wanted to play for Vitello,
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

So if Vitello had taken the LSU job, he would have gone to LSU? As someone else caught on, your orange is starting to show.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

As a 15u, when Vandy targets most recruits, Burns measured in via Perfect Game at 5'4 - 122 pounds. His fastball was at 73. One year later, at 16u, he was 6'2 and hit 92 at a PG showcase.

That's why we are having discussions in the other thread. Filling up a class 3-4 years early is not a good strategy. Sure, take commits from a handful of the best "can't miss" prospects you can get early, but keep 5-6 for players that are still developing...which is the normal progression. If Vandy had room, Burns would be on campus.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:17 am As a 15u, when Vandy targets most recruits, Burns measured in via Perfect Game at 5'4 - 122 pounds. His fastball was at 73. One year later, at 16u, he was 6'2 and hit 92 at a PG showcase.

That's why we are having discussions in the other thread. Filling up a class 3-4 years early is not a good strategy. Sure, take commits from a handful of the best "can't miss" prospects you can get early, but keep 5-6 for players that are still developing...which is the normal progression. If Vandy had room, Burns would be on campus.
If true, and I have no reason to doubt it, this is strong evidence for a modification in the recruiting that is discussed at length in another thread. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21187

Corbin will adjust, and the players will have fun - count on both.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

But how do you save room if you are already over-committed because you know some are going to be lost to the draft? Sincere question.

BTW, Pink Floyd said Burns was UT all the way. (I believe you not OrangeFloyd)
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

baseball1234 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:15 pm But how do you save room if you are already over-committed because you know some are going to be lost to the draft? Sincere question.

Burns wasn't all UT. He was a small prospect playing for a very small Sumner County organization that played mostly local tournaments. Then he grew...a lot. And one year later, he's playing for the Canes regional team. Big jump. At that point, he could go anywhere he wanted that had an opening. To Corbs's credit, one thing he doesn't do is pull offers. If he offers young, and they accept, he stands by it. Most coaches do not. So there simply was no room. It's funny. It's the exact same way we snuck Dansby Swanson into Vandy. He didn't play for a big organization through High School because he played AAU basketball. (with Dai-jon Parker) His only offers were Troy State (where his dad played and his mom played tennis???, I think) and Vandy. He played for East Cobb the summer after graduating HS to prepare for college baseball, but he was relatively unknown. Tells you how times have changed with vandy recruiting...even over a few short years.

As far as the best strategy for recruiting at Vanderbilt. Our class should be around 15 players each year. The non-COVID roster size is 35, and most Vandyboys are here for 3 years. Thus, if you take 15 commits, 3 get drafted each year, you should have 12 new faces on campus each fall. On a 3-year cycle, that is 36 kids, so you'd have one RS each year...but more than likely 2-3 will transfer each summer.

Personally, my strategy would be as follows: I'd gladly offer and accept the 5 best young pitchers I can get as soon as I can. Even Fresh or Sophs. I'd also offer a couple of can't miss hitters (Druw Jones, for instance) and at least 1 elite catcher. That gives me 7 highly regarded recruits as a base, with a few expected to go pro. After that class's Sophomore year of high school, I'd look to add 2 more elite hitters. Ideally, at that point you have 5 stud pitchers, 4 solid bats and a catcher. Now I have 5 openings left for kids that develop in their Junior years of high school. And I take the best I can find, with preference to local kids. With a name like Vandy, it won't be hard to find those guys, and most will jump at the chance because they haven't been given a lot of attention up to that point.

One last thing I'll say, even though it pains me as a prep coach; it is better to have room on your roster in college now than to be out of room. With the current transfer rules being so lenient, Vandy could go snag players who've already been very good for another NCAA team if there are roster spots left after the draft. Taking proven transfers is far less risky than taking prep players. If the draft hits hard one year, and you have some current players transfer, plug those holes with transfers. is there a stud pitcher like Chris Sale, playing at Florida Gulf Coast? Well, get in touch with him and bring him on board.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:15 pm
baseball1234 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:15 pm But how do you save room if you are already over-committed because you know some are going to be lost to the draft? Sincere question.

One last thing I'll say, even though it pains me as a prep coach; it is better to have room on your roster in college now than to be out of room. With the current transfer rules being so lenient, Vandy could go snag players who've already been very good for another NCAA team if there are roster spots left after the draft. Taking proven transfers is far less risky than taking prep players. If the draft hits hard one year, and you have some current players transfer, plug those holes with transfers.
Thanks for bring up the portal this should be in the other thread, but it is here now. I was wondering how recruiting needs to change with the reality that there will be some great players at "lesser" schools who would like to play for a national championship (like Vanderbilt often does) and we need to be able to recruit those guys. Because Corbin is ethical and loyal, he isn't going to be kicking a lot of guys off the team, so he needs to adjust to this new reality or we will be left behind. Another good point, Hops.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:15 pm

Burns wasn't all UT. He was a small prospect playing for a very small Sumner County organization that played mostly local tournaments. Then he grew...a lot. And one year later, he's playing for the Canes regional team. Big jump. At that point, he could go anywhere he wanted that had an opening. To Corbs's credit, one thing he doesn't do is pull offers. If he offers young, and they accept, he stands by it. Most coaches do not. So there simply was no room. It's funny. It's the exact same way we snuck Dansby Swanson into Vandy. He didn't play for a big organization through High School because he played AAU basketball. (with Dai-jon Parker) His only offers were Troy State (where his dad played and his mom played tennis???, I think) and Vandy. He played for East Cobb the summer after graduating HS to prepare for college baseball, but he was relatively unknown. Tells you how times have changed with vandy recruiting...even over a few short years.

As far as the best strategy for recruiting at Vanderbilt. Our class should be around 15 players each year. The non-COVID roster size is 35, and most Vandyboys are here for 3 years. Thus, if you take 15 commits, 3 get drafted each year, you should have 12 new faces on campus each fall. On a 3-year cycle, that is 36 kids, so you'd have one RS each year...but more than likely 2-3 will transfer each summer.

Personally, my strategy would be as follows: I'd gladly offer and accept the 5 best young pitchers I can get as soon as I can. Even Fresh or Sophs. I'd also offer a couple of can't miss hitters (Druw Jones, for instance) and at least 1 elite catcher. That gives me 7 highly regarded recruits as a base, with a few expected to go pro. After that class's Sophomore year of high school, I'd look to add 2 more elite hitters. Ideally, at that point you have 5 stud pitchers, 4 solid bats and a catcher. Now I have 5 openings left for kids that develop in their Junior years of high school. And I take the best I can find, with preference to local kids. With a name like Vandy, it won't be hard to find those guys, and most will jump at the chance because they haven't been given a lot of attention up to that point.

One last thing I'll say, even though it pains me as a prep coach; it is better to have room on your roster in college now than to be out of room. With the current transfer rules being so lenient, Vandy could go snag players who've already been very good for another NCAA team if there are roster spots left after the draft. Taking proven transfers is far less risky than taking prep players. If the draft hits hard one year, and you have some current players transfer, plug those holes with transfers. is there a stud pitcher like Chris Sale, playing at Florida Gulf Coast? Well, get in touch with him and bring him on board.
Thank you for the response. Makes sense to me. Also, late bloomers presumably will not have been offered yet by anyone, so its not like we wont' have opportunities for good players.

ased on Corbs' track record, he will change his ways when necessary.
Last edited by baseball1234 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:15 pm If the draft hits hard one year, and you have some current players transfer, plug those holes with transfers. is there a stud pitcher like Chris Sale, playing at Florida Gulf Coast? Well, get in touch with him and bring him on board.

Because Corbin is "ethical and loyal," as Charleston stated, he is not going to "get in touch with" some stud who is "playing at Florida Gulf Coast" or wherever.

If the stud player jumps his team and enters the Transfer Portal, then the Vanderbilt staff could get involved.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

I'm not an orange, and he did bloom late for the recruiting time table, and to clarify Corbin absolutely pulls offers.... cuts player in the fall etc like every other coach
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

BTW Rocker was a late commit
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

CowbellFloyd?
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

My son was on the same HS team with Bryan Reynolds and he was also a late bloomer. By his sr year, my son was throwing a 92 mph FB and helped his team win the state regionals. Corbs called him late and said he was full up but would like to offer my son a walk on opportunity. My son decided to take an offer to play for Navy!
Locked Previous topicNext topic