Lighting

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

blackgold61
Lieutenant

Lighting

Post by blackgold61 »

I wasn’t aware until after the game that new lights were installed yesterday. Is that true? My question is, were the missed flyballs caused by the new lighting or was it just that time of day where the ball was hard to pick up against the sky. I don’t think we hit any fly balls to see if it would cause UT any problems

Haptown
Lieutenant

Re: Lighting

Post by Haptown »

The new LED lights replaced the older LED lights that replaced the even older metal halide lights. The new lights were in place for the 1st home game this year.

What happened last night is that the misplayed balls where hit higher than the light's coverage area. LED lights are very directional and aimed downward toward the field and not outward to illuminate the area at and above the lights.

From the infield seats, one can look out toward the outfield and see the light coverage pattern due to the haze in the air. Between the light poles, there was a distinct V that was visible. With the old non-LED lights, there would be enough light scatter to fill the area enough to see balls hit higher that the lights.

To see the effect of light scatter, take a LED flood light and an incandescent flood light and aim each at the base of tree or house. You will find that the LED will be brighter and more highly directional, while the incandescent bulb will "flood" a wider area with light but will be dimmer at the center.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Need to fix it fast.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

How about only fixing it in the top half of innings?
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

The sub-story in all of this, is it only possible to hit a ball that high is if the ball is hit with a rolled bat?
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Haptown wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:13 pm The sub-story in all of this, is it only possible to hit a ball that high is if the ball is hit with a rolled bat?
I think you are close to the target.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Hey, but at least we have a spiffy new logo.
Locked Previous topicNext topic